New acoustic: Takamine

New acoustic: Takamine

Postby OhioBuckeye » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm

I went to the local Sam Ash thinking i was going to purchase either a Martin LXM or Washburn D10 electric/acoustic.

I'm relatively new to playing and strumming chords so picking a guitar by specs seemed reasonable. Thank goodness that's not how I did it though. I ended up getting a Takamine GS330S acoustic only.

I can't tell you how much I love this thing. I don't know if it's the cedar top or what but all of the gloss spruce tops just sound metallic sounding. This cedar top sound perfect for the few songs I knew or should say pretend i Know :)(Friend of the Devil, Uncle John's Band, Wish you were Here).

Does anyone else see that cedar sounds better to them than the spruce? To me it's like a night and day difference. I wish they had the Seagulls there but they didn't. I know they're cedar as well. Maybe when I got to get an electric/acoustic I'll compare the cedar Takamine's and Seagull's.

Also did anyone ever have a clear pickguard installed? I had a strap knob put on but no pickguard and I think I should. Just a clear one to protect the cedar top. Thoughts?

Take it easy

OB
OhioBuckeye
tiger
tiger

Postby IamDocWatson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:57 pm

depends on your picking and strumming, i dont really touch my guitar top at when im playing so i would not alter my instrument for a pickguard....

if u plant your finger there and brush the top each time you strum and your definately gonna dig in to it really bad then maybe get one...but i think youd have to be out of control with your picking hand or have some real bad habits to wind up damaging the top that badly ... unless u keep around for 20 years or so ...

but even then who cares...if it gets scratched up it will just have more character
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby strumminsix » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:16 pm

Firstly, good call on the Tak! Love my EG341SC.

It has a pickguard but it looks new.

Never really understood the need for one on most gits.

I mean besides ones you could replace with screws like Fenders so many are glued on so the pickguard gets scratched up and it's still there for life...
strumminsix

Postby OhioBuckeye » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 pm

Yea you've talked me out of it. No pickguard needed. Besides scratches will add character :)

I don't think I ever hit the top with the pick anyways. I'm not doing any hard driving strumming so I shouldn't be much of an issue for me.

OB
OhioBuckeye
tiger
tiger

Postby frankielee » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Welcome and congrats on the TAK...I'm a Martin and Gibson guy myself but a good buddy of mine has the same model as you and he loves it...i've played it a time or two SWEET.BTW i used to have a SEAGULL and i liked it alot...but sold it to get my Gibson J160e...which is my baby...Later!
"Don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road."
frankielee
Jerry
Jerry

Postby bucketorain » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:49 am

Tak's are very good guitars. I have an EGS-330SC. I always get compliments on its tone. It has no pick guard. If you play long enough it may start looking like Willie Nelson's guitar. LOL.

here is a link to mine. what drew me to this was the natural look with not fret board markings.

http://www.takamine.com/index.cfm?fa=de ... 83&sid=524
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Laytonco » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:37 am

Hmmm, I can't find a link to mine. I have a Tak EN-18 that I got back in the 80's. I would put this guitar up against any others. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Ebony fretboard.Ummm um! Elec/Aco. Hey, and no pick guard!

Peace

Gil
Laytonco

Postby amyjared » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:42 pm

Funny, I have a Martin D-28 that I love for the sound, but I wanted a beater that I could plug in easily and a cutaway for reaching those higher frets so I bought another guitar this summer for my birthday and ended up with a tak EG531SC and tho it's black and has the pickguard, it sounds great for all my needs and I'm playing it with the band when we need an acoustic. It's one of the cheaper acoustic/electrics, but I love it!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby myoung6923 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Nice buy on the Tak - I have a Tak EF340 SC and love it! the tone is great - and plugged it it sounds freakin' awesome.

I've always loved Takamine guitars - even their lower end models just sound great.

Have fun with it!
myoung6923

Return to The Think Tank