whos gonna fill the void

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Hajimemashite!!! wrote:.....youll see

If you only knew.... :shock:

:cool:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 pm

Has the void ever been filled?

Better yet leave the void where it is and create some new space, I mean shit ain't that the American way?
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:49 am

lostsailor8782 wrote:I am just screwing with you, I agree Moe is just one long loud ... well you get the point, see the thing about saying who is best, there is no best, we all have our own opinion, I mean people loved Green Day, lots of people, and they couldn't play for shit, but people dug it, If you dig Umphrey's check some of this shit out, it is Brenden Bayliss and Jeff Austin, great stuff

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DX-8FmnIfhk

yeah brendan and jeff have some awesome acoustic stuff

thanks for that video link tho

i also believe they're working on an album together right now
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby lostsailor8782 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Yes they are , Jeff was picking some of the new stuff in front of the coffee shop a few weeks back ... I like their stuff together, an interesting blend
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby xero92 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:55 pm

To start off, I'd like to say that I think this subject was brought up a little ahead of it's time. To say that there aren't that many GOOD jam bands left seems to me to be a quite ignorant assumption, no offense intended of course. It's just that their are tons of great groups out there in the jam buisiness, but many just haven't attain country-wide or world-wide popularity. Flowmotion, Revolutionary Side Effects, Garaj Mahal, Modern Groove Syndicate, ALO, Mr. Blotto, New Monsoon, just to name a few. It just seems wrong to me for someone to say that the good jambands are dissapearing. Maybe it would be better stated that the POPULAR good jam bands are dissapearing.

But I realize that that is not the question, so I apoligize. Answering the question of who is going to break out on the scene as the next BIG awesome jam bands, my guess is as good as any. ALO seems to be growing in popularity, but sound is not original enough to be huge like SCI or Phish. Originality is likely going to be the main factor in who hits it big. It is obvious that people are getting tired of the same "jam band" sound over and over, and it is gonna' take some guys (or gals) who are really original and talented to get to the top of "the Scene".

Luke
xero92
Brent
Brent

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:28 pm

xero92 wrote:It's just that their are tons of great groups out there in the jam buisiness, but many just haven't attain country-wide or world-wide popularity. Flowmotion, Revolutionary Side Effects, Garaj Mahal, Modern Groove Syndicate, ALO, Mr. Blotto, New Monsoon,

some of these guys are great bands
but none of them are original enough to be big

out of those id pick mr. blotto
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby augustdupree » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:31 pm

I know this is probably an invitation for tomatoes to come-a-flyin' so from behind my chicken wire cage that gaurds my stage (like the one that Jeff Healy had in Roadhouse), I say that Widespread Panic stands a really good chance of being the last jam band standing. Especially if they keep Herring. Hottest tour out there right now IMO.

As for the void? Yes, I anxiously await the day (whenever it happens again) when a band comes along that invents a whole new way to go. Like the Beatles or the Dead did. Filling the "jam band void" is like a double entendre or something. It cannot simultaniously be labeled "jam band" and fill a "void" at the same time.
...cuz child of mine, there really isn't very far to go.
augustdupree
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby gratephulphish123 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:49 am

well if jam bands all go the way of the blue footed booby we can party at dave matthews... oooh fun, trendy hipsters not listening to music, talking loudly and texting each other.

that being said i wish i had gone to dave the other night when he was at spac because trey guested on lie in our graves. he's a good artist, i just cant stand the scene :-?
gratephulphish123

Postby thestranger » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:03 pm

the duo are good. They are very creative and interesting to listen to. Bisco can be AMAZING they are very talented and recognize the power of restriant in a jam. One of my fave bands to see live is STS9- ther enregy is beutiful. someone mentioned Garaj Mahal and I agree, I also dig the Fareed Haque group. Another funk band that is huge is Soulive, Eric Krazno is masterful. Les Claypool is always doing something fresh and exiting. Panic with Jimmy on lead Git is phenominal- they are a new band with him and I think it's one of the best out there right now. Mule is worth mentioning. North Mississippi Allstars are badass. I saw ALO for the first time this summer and I liked them-funky.Bottom line: There are a lot of good improvisational rock bands out there right now. But I still find myself constantly seeking shows by the reminants of broken up bands (trey band Phil and friends) I miss Phish and would really like to see those boys Back together.
thestranger
bruce
bruce

Postby Chief5959 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:40 pm

Gov't Mule, Soulive, and Derek Trucks Band all make great music.
Chief5959
Brent
Brent

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 am

oh yeah forgot about derek trucks. hes amazing. plus he seem to be the only one doing anything interesting with the blues anymore(blues/jazz/world all)
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Jam Bands

Postby Scott Bardolf » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:46 am

Assembly of Dust?
Scott Bardolf
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby spacehead333 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:15 am

there will be a big boy pants jamband soon. now that cheese is gone the following will follow someone else and they will eventually get bigger. i like perpetual groove
steal your face right off your head
http://www.myspace.com/reelfootmusic
spacehead333

Re: Jam Bands

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 am

Scott Bardolf wrote:Assembly of Dust?

dear god i hope not
at summer camp they did a full band switch with moe. who is already not so great, it was terrible

theyre extremley generic and boring
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby thestranger » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:15 pm

did you see Jen hartswick sit in w/ umpherys- and do "no ordinary love" by SADE? that was smooth as hell. but yeah AOD wasn't great, I wouldn't pay to see them I might see them at a fest again becuz they did bust a little funk. Summercamp is a great fest even if you don't like MOE.
thestranger
bruce
bruce

PreviousNext

Return to The Think Tank