Yonder Does The Dead

Postby big_river_bum » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:48 pm

i have to post once more before i can link url's.
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Dude glad to turn you on Trips

Postby krazyfingers » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Yonder rocks man their amazing, and RRE stands for Railroad Earth they are greAt too, they are a bluegrass band, but they have a drum, and their songwriting is fuckin amazing, RRE, YMSB, and old crow medicine show are the best bands out their right now IMO
krazyfingers
bruce
bruce

Postby big_river_bum » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:49 pm

there is also a torrent called 'yonder plays their bluegrass roots' that is amazing. almost 6 hours of old standards in a new light.
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby big_river_bum » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 pm

guilhermeful dead- i would recommend mountain tracks 3 or 4. from past shows i'd recommend 10/13/05, 4/06/02, or 11/5/04. all can be found on archive

from this summer tour i would recommend 6-15-07. it was their 1000th show and the best night of my life. their 1st set kind of chronicled their playing throughout the years and the second set was pure bliss. almost an hour and a half of constant mind melting music. during the jam of 'mother's only son"(one of my favorite jams) some fireworks started going off further on down the des moines river from a iowa cubs game. perfect serendipity

this show can be found here- http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=507464

6-12/14/and 16 can be found on archive. all 4 shows i saw this summer were among the best i've seen. they did an unplugged 'pan american' by hank williams to open the 2nd set at the big top. pure bliss. also, check out their nye show from this year with futureman on drums. if you like it, they're playing with john fishman at redrocks in august

if you liked their new speedway boogie, check out their demonic 'mason's children'.
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby CaptainTrips » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Yeah, thanks are in order krazyfingers, Ive heard of them before but after listening to them play some dead I was blown away. Imagine Jerry playing with that band. Ah well, Im sure he is jammin out with Pig, Janis and Brent.
CaptainTrips

ah isnt that wonderful sight

Postby krazyfingers » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:11 am

yep jerry on lead, janis wailin away, lennon writing some lyrics, brent ticklin the ivorys, yep GOD needed his own house band

not a problem you should thank who ever put this together before me
krazyfingers
bruce
bruce

Postby big_river_bum » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 am

for me yonder is THE band that fills the void left by the dead. i was never blessed to see them as i'm young, but love them through and through. just as with the dead, yonder's music can consume you. they are really forging ahead in the path of seldom scene, new grass revival, and leftover salmon. all four can really write a tune. they are one of those bands that when separated really don't have the same impact as when together. it's all about the chemistry, the like-minded approach, the chickin pickin, and the experience
big_river_bum
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby CaptainTrips » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:59 am

Yeah Im a rather recent deadhead, a couple of years, and I usually listen to alot of Dead. Not too much new stuff. Its time I find a band to fill the void.
CaptainTrips

Postby AugustWest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:42 am

Yonder is amazing. Railroad earth is amazing. I've posted this before, but I will go ahead and say it again. To me Yonder mountain is bob weir bluegrass and Railroad earth is jerry garcia bluegrass. I love both of them the same they are just different. Yonder is more rockin and technicaly great. Railroad earth is more melodic and dynamic. Great vocals great songs both bands. they are both in my top 5 bands. And for anyone looking to get people into yonder I recomend mountain tracks 2. It is my favorite of the bunch so far and the jamming is majorly intense. Also railroad earth covers a bunch of dead songs too. They do a magical terrapin station and a great mississippi halfstep and friend of the devil, and going down the road feeling bad. I think I'm going down to the NORVA tonight to catch yonder mountain. Or Ratdog in charlettsville is tonight too. WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO SEE? I kinda want to catch kimock with the boys. but tickets are 30 bucks!
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Candyman421 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:06 am

i read an interview with adam ajaila, guitarist of Yonder, and he said his favorite album/cd was reckoning which is very apparent in a lot of his playing, as jerry played bluegrass music before rock.
"The flame from your stage has now spread to the floor"
Candyman421
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:15 am

brentmydland.net ! never heard of it, but its about time!

oh and Jerry is sittin' n pickin' with Django and telling all the rest to get offa his cloud!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby gratephulphish123 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:16 am

big_river_bum wrote:for me yonder is THE band that fills the void left by the dead

you mean the band other than phish? :lol:
gratephulphish123

Phish

Postby StringCheeseSector9 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:34 am

Phish is the shit as you all know but it sure doesn't fill my dead-void, but yonder is one of the few that gets me feeling the same way as when i pop in some dead tape. And for you yonder fans you should get their halloween show where they cover Dogs from Pink floyds album animals....its the best
I traveled near and traveled far
I beat a hole in my guitar
crawled with the zeroes
and I stood with my heroes
But I’ve still got a long way to go.
StringCheeseSector9
TC
TC

Postby big_river_bum » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 pm

they played dogs last year at kinfolk in chicago too
big_river_bum
Terrapin