Ratdog or Phil and friends

Ratdog or Phil and Friends

Ratdog
36%
Phil Lesh and Friends
64%

Total votes : 25

Postby Shaggy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:51 pm

Which one plays the most original material?

Never seen either live.
Shaggy

Postby BOUKINATOR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:13 pm

R A T D O G!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean I love Phil, but you just can't compare jamming capability no matter who is playing with Phil. And let's not even talk about the vocals. Please let's not.

I saw Ratdog last week with Kimock and it was frickin' spectacular!

*GET WELL MARK KARAN!*

p.s. I do still love Phil though, but BOB RULES MY LIFE
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Gotta go with the 'Dog. Bobby keeps it rockin' non-stop, and I have yet to see a show that hasn't left me sweating my balls off. Just saw them in Boston on Tuesday night (yesterday, 7/10) and they were NASTY. Kimock was rippin it up, you should've heard him on Loser. In fact, I recommend going to the etree community tracker & DL'ing this one, boys. Good good show and Bobby did not dissapoint.

I love seeing Phil & Friends (esp. w/ Trey), but the ever changing line-up forces me to go with Ratdog, if not for out of sheer consistency, then for the fluidity of the jams and other misc. reasons that I can't think of right now. Just a feeling I get, I guess. Not to say I don't get that feeling with Phil, it's just different.

Phil is more spacey jam, which I love, but Ratdog gets me with the rock n' roll, jazz, and spacey jam. It's got it all.

Also, sometimes when I see Phil, some of his songs are toned down a bit, that is to say they're slower or may laid back than I'd like 'em. Also, as someone else already stated, the vocals aren't even a question. I'll take Bob all night over anyone Phil plays with.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby Shooster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:43 am

Gotta go with the dog!!! They're tight and continually creating, plus Phil's voice makes my head want to explode.
Shooster
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

You cant have your cake and eat it to.

Postby StringCheeseSector9 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:11 am

Spoken like a true gentleman. I concure, We love these guys right? So why take sides.

But I still think Rat dog is more enjoyable....

lol i like how the last sentence keeps it all going
I traveled near and traveled far
I beat a hole in my guitar
crawled with the zeroes
and I stood with my heroes
But I’ve still got a long way to go.
StringCheeseSector9
TC
TC

Postby cuznt » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:44 am

my dope
bobby has lost his voice and speaks the songs more than he sings.Not that Phils voice was much better, and please do not sing terrapin tonight phil.. I do not think bobby lets Mark loose on shit. I think Mark could smoke the hizzouse and I think they did one night when Bobby just could not go on. Both of them are getting on, and I for one would not mind finding something original that moved me as much as the grateful dead... even when they sucked, it was better than any concert I have ever been to by anyone else. hands down. I will tell you what too, I do not know half of the people I was with in the concerts, but I miss them, their evergy and the love. I truely do. My feelings are that Bobby and Phil have not progressed much since the shows after terrapin reunion. That in itself to me was their crowing glory after Jerry died. and the following "TOO" tour was the best. This included the lot sceane at the meadowlands, which was just like old times baby. Just like old times. My now wife and I had just broken up with our respective partners and ran off on tour. We had not a choice at all. Nor did we care. We look at ourselves and relize how crazy it was to run off and go on tour and party like the old days. Kind of insane behavior eh? Well we are more in love today, I think because of that. The boys alone will never equal the sum of the whole. even that whole they had with jerry missing. I think before what was missing was billy. I remember seeing them at the continental areana when my band performed in the lot. I could not stay for the whole show. It was too early for me and I just cried. I do miss Jerry.

I like the fact that phil tries musicans out. a rolling experiment. sometimes nice, sometimes not. I do not like joan. I will take any heat for it. my opinion. :p I liked Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes John Molo Rob Barraco, after a while it got kind of the same.but still and all phil is trying to reach out i think and touch different forms and feel different style play his thing. The shows with trey and page and steve kimock was really nice. I get choked up listening to Phil and his kids singing hello old friends. You can not top that. I think that is one of the most beautiful gestures Phil Lesh ever made.
cuznt
Keith
Keith

Previous

Return to The Think Tank