Believe it Or Not

Believe it Or Not

Postby Candyman421 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:53 pm

this song was only done live, but i really like it, really nice pace (maybe a little slow) to it and i really like the lyrics, but some people cant stand it, if you cant stand it let me know why
"The flame from your stage has now spread to the floor"
Candyman421
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:49 pm

I suppose I've met plenty of folks who were ambivalent or hadn't heard it or even of it, but never met anyone who said they disliked it, let alone couldn't stand it! Wasn't it only performed about as many times(3?5?) as World To Give?

Worst thing I heard anyone say- which I think may have been a Relics review of the Alpine 88 4-night run- was that it was derivative of "Gomorrah" and "Lucky Old Sun" ...which is fairly obviously true. But it's still got Jerry's unique english applied to a well-crafted marriage of melodic elements of both songs and words by Robert Hunter... great song imho.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby ronster » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 pm

Never heard the Dead play it, but Dark Star has pulled it out the last three times I a saw them. Certainly not a great tune (it didn't make the cut for the Built to Last album) but John Kadlecik does an amazing job on it and turns a so so song into a good one and almost makes you believe Jerry has come back. Believe it or not.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby krzykat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:11 pm

they played it 6 times in '88 between June and october, and once in march of 90
krzykat

Return to The Think Tank