guitar storage/treatment

guitar storage/treatment

Postby IamDocWatson » Sun May 27, 2007 5:32 pm

the room where i store all my guitars (just a spare bedroom full of instruments and an ironing board, and dirty clothes) does not have an air conditioner in it....im only ever in the room for 5 mins tops so im not gonna buy an a/c. but im starting to worry about my instruments...how hot would it have to be in there for warping and shrinking and expanding through the seasons??
is my stuff in danger?
what should i do?

even i would buy an ac i cant afford to run it all day and night in there so.... any ideas???
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby lostsailor8782 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:32 am

first of all where do you live? If your in New Orleans it is one thing, in Denver it is another .... humidity is your key
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby IamDocWatson » Mon May 28, 2007 8:21 am

im in pa...pretty regular humidity,flucuating from week to week. i have a hygrometer built in to one of my cases and it has never been high always normal or a tad low. i was questioning heat alone im unsure of how the wood reacts to the heat
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby lostsailor8782 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:24 am

just in case you have a really hot summer I would make sure there is good circulation in your room ... with circulation and no direct sunlight I can't imagine the heat being to much where you live .. I am in the mountains around Denver and you have to humidify nice acoustic instruments for sure ...
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby shakedown_04092 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:36 am

lostsailor8782 wrote:just in case you have a really hot summer I would make sure there is good circulation in your room ... with circulation and no direct sunlight I can't imagine the heat being to much where you live .. I am in the mountains around Denver and you have to humidify nice acoustic instruments for sure ...

What do you use, just a regular humidifier filled w/ water to keep the air damp?

I live in Maine & have never thought twice about storage for my guitar. It gets warm, sure, but not too too warm, I don't think. I was gonig to get a custom case for my custom hollowbody when it arrived, one w/ a hydrometer or whatever, but do I need to?
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby lostsailor8782 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:53 pm

it is really really dry here ... you can just use a regular humidifier .... is it dry in Maine ... don't think so is it
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby shakedown_04092 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Not really...
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Return to The Think Tank