What Covers Would They Be Doing?

What Covers Would They Be Doing?

Postby Crowhead » Tue May 15, 2007 8:30 pm

The Dead did allot of covers. Most were great! But there were a few... lets say... cheesy covers. Broken Arrow comes to mind.

The question I have, If Jerry had not moved on, what "modern" songs, say from about 1990 to today, would they cover.

I have my guess, keep in mind the "cheesy" factor. I can see them doing "Chasing Waterfalls" by TLC. Total cheese, but a great chance to use the envelope filter.
So I headed west to grow up with the country-Gram Parsons
Crowhead
tiger
tiger

Postby caspersvapors » Tue May 15, 2007 11:59 pm

lol I cant even picture them knowing of TLC to begin with

hmm this is a good post, I like it, although the Dead never really covered any songs from the era that they were playing in at the time...

I could see them doing some Elton John covers since they never did in their career w/ Jerry and I think his music fits the Dead's style
caspersvapors

Postby Crowhead » Wed May 16, 2007 1:31 am

Here's a little time warp for ya... That TLC song is about 16 years old. So it fits the formula of rarely covering current era songs.

I would love to have heard the boys do "Rocket Man"
So I headed west to grow up with the country-Gram Parsons
Crowhead
tiger
tiger

Postby ker1227 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:13 am

i could see them doing the armagedon aerosmith ballad. Im pretty sure the "cheese" factor was not a factor. Pesonaly , i think they would be digging up old folk and bluegrass songs though. I could also see them turning some micheal jackson into something cool. But lets face it at the rate they were going , bob dylan would have been in the band by now and all songs would be his. :shock:
Just as long as they dont play any DMB i would have been cool.
ker1227
Billy
Billy

Postby Benthegoodbum » Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 am

I wouldn't mind hearing them do some Beck. I bet they could do Guess I'm Doin' Fine pretty well.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby AugustWest » Wed May 16, 2007 4:52 am

They started covering werewolves of london a year after it was released. That is a current cover. Garcia band did the same with a bunch of dylan tunes. Tough mama (73 before it was released on planet waves) Simple twist of fate in 76. (blood on tracks 75) So maybe they would try something off of modern times or some other dylan album.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby bodiddley » Wed May 16, 2007 6:12 am

I never considered "Broken Arrow" cheesy...Maybe Rod Stewarts version, but the original is done by Robbie Robertson and it' fantastic...gives me chills.
bodiddley

Postby hobbsy » Wed May 16, 2007 7:46 am

Phil covers Ryan Adams' Let it Ride. Here's a couple I could get behind....

She Gave Good Sunflower (Black Crowes)
Baby Bitch (Ween)
Ego Tripping (Flaming Lips)
Aint Life Grand (Widespread)
Texas (SCI)
One (Metallica) ha ha: Would Bobby or Jerry sing??? :cool:
hobbsy
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 16, 2007 7:48 am

Interestingly enough, although not said, this topic is really what covers would Jerry be singing. We know what Bobby and Phil would do with their respective bands.
strumminsix

Postby amyjared » Wed May 16, 2007 8:02 am

I always thought Jer should have sang Lazy Lightning. I think if he were still around, he'd cover Jack Johnson, the Clash and some REM, like The One I Love. I can see it now...Fire!

Oh, and my wife and I walked down the aisle to Broken Arrow. Friends of ours (from Canada) had a band and were doing that song before the boys covered it. It is a great Robbie song and I don't think Phil ever did it justice and Rod ruined it, but at least all my relatives/friends knew the song from someplace.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby mttourpro » Wed May 16, 2007 11:34 am

I think Jer wouldda likely stuck with the Beatles, Dylan and stuff even older than that. I can't see where they'da covered stuff that came from folks currently writing/touring unless they were friends.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby d-v-s » Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 am

Interesting question... since we're talking hypothetically here, I think I'll just note some song that I think would have fit in with their style, that allow for some nice musical exploration.

Change - Blind Melon
What I Got - Sublime
Soulshine - Allman Brothers Band
Take it Easy - Eagles
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby germfisk » Thu May 17, 2007 5:35 am

Speaking of Panic covers, how bout Tall Boy? Cantcha just hear Jerry belting out "I'm feelin weak!!"?
germfisk
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby st. stephen » Thu May 17, 2007 8:39 am

i'd really love to hear a dead version of cream's Sunshine Of Your Love....
they would jam it out :D
Could jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
-Homer Simpson-
st. stephen
Mickey
Mickey

Postby AugustWest » Thu May 17, 2007 8:45 am

I always wished they would have played King Harvest by the band during the brent years, and let him take the vocals. They would have the funkiest jam ever out of that song.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Next

Return to The Think Tank