Favorite encores

Favorite encores

Postby lostsailor8782 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 pm

How did you like to get sent home ? I liked to go home "Slow" as I called it Brokedown, Baby Blue ...
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby Billbbill » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Wow, rough question though I tend to agree with you. Another interesting take would be what you didn't want to see.

It'd somewhat matter on my head at that particular moment I suppose.

Though as I was looking through archive.org I saw a show that encored with Shakedown. That had to be cool. So something like that off the beaten path would be very cool.

Maybe Wharf Rat or something. Other One...Deal...Stella Blue.
Billbbill

Postby mttourpro » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:58 pm

I was there at the first one (the blizzard show in Richfield 93), and I will say, I never wanted to hear I Fought the Law as an encore. It was ok for that show, but then to do it regularly?? I also did not care for the obligatory Day Job which made it's rounds in the 80s....Gimme a Brokedown, Baby Blue or a Lucy in the Sky and I was always happier on the way out.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby Chief5959 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:01 pm

Some Chuck Berry with a fair amount of jamming and then And we bid you goodnight. I always thought Ripple would make a nice way to end the night as well.
Chief5959
Brent
Brent

Postby nicolasalk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 pm

UNITED STATES BLUES
nicolasalk
Jerry
Jerry

Postby golfnutt » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:31 pm

When the show had a kick a** second set that left you exhausted I loved being sent out with Brokedown Palace. I loved the huge smile everyone was sporting.Walking out completly exhausted and ohhh so happy.You'd get outside the cool air felt wonderful and then you'd hear someone scream "Veggie Burritos!!!" and you knew you were back outside.

On other nights when there was still energy in the tank and maybe the feeling they were just warming up (for the weekend or whatever) is was fun to hear a US Blues or something more upbeat...that's my two cents
golfnutt
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Rev_Roach » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 pm

I like Werewolves of London. Fun and playful tune to end the night. Didn't happen too much (deadbase says 12).

While I was looking I found that the encore for 7-08-78 at Red Rocks had this encore:

E: Terrapin> Saturday Night, Werewolves

Sounds pretty good to me. I've never heard this show at archives doesnt have it (while it does have the night before). Is this a vault release or something?
Rev_Roach
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby strumminsix » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:51 am

I'll never understand the appeal of a slow closer. Gimme something fast, uptempo, upbeat! Make me dance a little harder and a little more and leaving me wanting more!
strumminsix

Postby smile_smile_smile » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:04 pm

I'll never understand the appeal of a slow closer. Gimme something fast, uptempo, upbeat! Make me dance a little harder and a little more and leaving me wanting more!

couldn't agree more.... :thewave:
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby bodiddley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:41 pm

It's a damn shame the encore ruts the boys would get stuck in from time to time like '87 when every other encore was "Quinn"...uuhhgg! I loved "Knockin", but even that got old after a while. Woulda been nice if they mixed it up more rather than it feeling like a throwaway tune...like "I fought the Law". From everything I've heard is Jerry generally hated doing encores. Often JGB never played them. Go figure.
bodiddley

Postby strumminsix » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:20 pm

Brokedown has to be the worst to me... So may Dead bands I've been a part of forced almost every show we did to close with it. Yuck. If I never play it again it'll be too late...
strumminsix

Postby bodiddley » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:00 am

Wow. I think "Brokedown" is an awesome closer but I guess I can see how you would get sick of playing it all the time.
bodiddley

Postby AugustWest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:54 am

Like everybody else, my favorite encores were the ones that were random and kinda out of place. For example terrapin, china rider (12/28/88), Shakedown street>uncle johns band (??/??/79), morning dew, and others. But out of the encores played at least 100 times (it feels like) my favorite is us blues. Makes me dance and it makes me smile.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby lostsailor8782 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:07 am

hating Brokedown is all screwed up.... I can't ever comprehend that... I am a veteran of over 300 shows between 82 and 94 ... saw nothing in 95 and am not mad about that ... other than the Unbroken Chain just to have been there ... I didn't see tons and tons of Brokedowns ... but I did see dozens of day Jobs and Useless Blues this was my thing .. I was vending on tour for years ... when they would leave the stage before the encore I would work my way to the back ... when the song started I had a decision ... if it was an encore I had seen twice in the last 10 days I was out the door getting ready to try and make a few bucks as people were leaving but no matter how often it got played I always stayed for Baby Blue ... wish they would have moved Mission In The Rain into the encore rotation ...
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby smile_smile_smile » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:05 pm

viola lee blues :cool:
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Next

Return to The Think Tank