String tension and feel

String tension and feel

Postby squire758 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:41 pm

a good friend of mine just had his SG rebult(cracked headstock) and fitted in some sorta sweet sounding active EMG's. since he got it back he insists on high guage strings so that the guitar has a really tight feel to it. personally i like lower guage strings with thicker picks cuz i like the sorta loose feel. How do you guys set up your strings/ action/ picks? does anyone else here prefer active pickups?
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:24 am

10's on Strat and Tele, set up on the high side for clarity of notes.

10's on my Les Paul

12 Flats on Ibanez GB10

Personally, I like a high tight feel with a thick pick. Not a big fan of clunkiness, buzziness, fretnoise, or slinkiness.

Safe to say there is a direct correlation between higher action and better sustain.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby cunamara » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 pm

This used to vary widely from one guitar to the next, but not so much any more. Getting older, I guess.

12 roundwounds on my archtop (Thomastik-Infeld GB112) with a wound G. TIs have a very fine gauge overwrap that feels very smooth and resonates beautifully. This guitar feels quite silky despite the medium strings and 25.5" scale. Moderately narrow neck.

12 roundwounds on my Frankenstrat (TI BB112) with a plain G. The Frankenstrat is built from a Warmoth Gibson style neck on a Warmoth Strat body, with two humbuckers and a single coil (hmmm, anybody guess who inspired that setup? I am going to switch this to two humbuckers for a fatter neck pickup sound). This guitar feels very tight, despite having the same gauge strings and scale as the archtop. Maybe due to the through-body stringing and no tremolo? Wide C style neck.

10s on my Selmer-Macaferri clone by Saga. 26.5" scale, wide Fender C+ size neck. This guitar is just buttery to play.

12 flatwounds on my Ibanzez GB-10. Man, I've had that guitar 22 years, I think.

12 bronze roundwounds on my Takamine F340S (Martin copy).

And that's the menagerie.
cunamara
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby IamDocWatson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:37 am

on my gibson acoustic i use 13's with a 2mm tourtise shell pick...but i play alot of bluegrass....

my eletric has 11's or 12's i use at least 1mm pics sometimes i just use my 2mm because i so used to the feel of it
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Return to The Think Tank