Clapton...why does love got to be so sad

Clapton...why does love got to be so sad

Postby chinacat503 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:57 pm

I was listening to Derek & the Dominoes at the Fillmore East-10/23/70 on wolfgangsvault and was absolutely blown away by Why Does Love Got to be So Sad..... has everyone heard this? Some of my favorite EC I have ever heard. Absolutely amazing in all respects.... anybody know of any other incredible versions? favorites?
Comin', comin', comin' around...
chinacat503
Keith
Keith

Postby bodiddley » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:28 pm

Sorry can't help ya there but since we are on the subject of Clapton, does anyone know what album has the alternate version of "After Midnight" that was released in the mid eighties that has a killer horn section backing it? I need this version.
bodiddley

Postby Chief5959 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:25 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Vault I will have to check that out. There are versions of "Why does love" on both the Derek and the Dominos cds, Layla and Live at the Fillmore East. It is a great track. With the one on Layla you get Duane Allman as well.
I do not think the "After Midnight" with horns was ever released on a Clapton album. It was done for a beer commercial
Chief5959
Brent
Brent

Why does love got to be so sad?

Postby Minhajs » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:18 am

There is an excellent version of this song on the boxed set Clapton Crossroads II (Live in the seventies). Santana joins Clapton for an extended improv jam that clocks in at over 20 minutes!
Minhajs
welcome
welcome

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 am

cc503, there is an awesome version of WDLGTBSS on Derek and the Dominoes In Concert . (pretty sure its different than on the Crossroads II collection, with which I am unfamiliar- no Carlos)

OT, you going to DSO at the Crystal?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Re: Clapton...why does love got to be so sad

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:10 pm

chinacat503 wrote:I was listening to Derek & the Dominoes at the Fillmore East-10/23/70 on wolfgangsvault and was absolutely blown away by Why Does Love Got to be So Sad..... has everyone heard this? Some of my favorite EC I have ever heard. Absolutely amazing in all respects.... anybody know of any other incredible versions? favorites?

is this available on itunes or in stores? I want
caspersvapors

Postby chinacat503 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:32 pm

caspersvapors.....this fillmore east show is available both in store and itunes. Unfortunately itunes wont let you download this song individually for 99 cents because it is nearly 15 minutes long - you have to buy the whole album to get songs that are over 10 minutes.

tigerstrat.... yes I am definitely going to both DSO shows in march. last time through I missed their portland show, but caught both nights in Eugene (the first night was mindblowing).... :cool:
and speaking of dead cover music, we need more Ramblin Rose shows!! I need a show at least every other week! Its too bad what happened with Slabtown, hopefully you guys will find more consistent gigging. Good luck with that, hope to see you guys play again soon
Comin', comin', comin' around...
chinacat503
Keith
Keith

Re: Clapton...why does love got to be so sad

Postby groovemongrel » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:41 pm

chinacat503 wrote:I was listening to Derek & the Dominoes at the Fillmore East-10/23/70 on wolfgangsvault and was absolutely blown away by Why Does Love Got to be So Sad..... has everyone heard this? Some of my favorite EC I have ever heard. Absolutely amazing in all respects.... anybody know of any other incredible versions? favorites?

This song absolutely rips!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yNzTkXh4KSw
groovemongrel
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby reccstermatt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:36 am

that song is redonkutits, I really like ec's acoustic slide material though, he did amazing things with the slide, even if he just ripped the licks off old blues players
Mama said dont go near that river
dont be hangin around
with no catfish john
but in the morning id always be there
walkin in his footsteps in the sweet belt of dawn
reccstermatt
TC
TC

Postby caspersvapors » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:50 pm

you should get Sessions for Robert J, lots of live acoustic slide stuff, singing Robert Johnson tunes
caspersvapors

Postby bodiddley » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:40 am

Bummer... I tried going to the youtube link posted above and it said it's been pulled due to a copyright claim by Bill Grahm LLC. sigh.
bodiddley

Return to The Think Tank