Jerry fingering "B" bar chord in open"A"

Jerry fingering "B" bar chord in open"A"

Postby stat » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Ever notice that Jerry uses his pinky, not his ri8ng finger for the barred "b" in the open "a" formation?

Why ?
stat
welcome
welcome

Postby spilly » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:58 pm

I tend to do the same thing with my A format barres.
I don't know why jerry did it, but I find it easier to finger and less stressfull on the wrist when I'n not looking to ornament my chord
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:19 pm

I'm sure he did that to free up his hand and other "soloing" fingers, so he could transition into the lead more easily.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby caspersvapors » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:26 pm

I also do it with the pinky, I saw many people do it with the ring and but pinky always felt more comfortable
caspersvapors

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:31 pm

Do whatever feels most comfortable. There is no wrong way to hold a guitar for the most part. I prefer ring finger for that though.
BlobWeird

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what a "barred 'b'" is. :-?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:49 pm

tigerstrat i believe they mean x24442. thats what i thought.
BlobWeird

Postby CaptainTrips » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:41 pm

pinky is alot easier to use than some people make it out to be
CaptainTrips

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:02 pm

OK, I guess the "open" part threw me off... but now I see: an A-shape, B major barre chord.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby bodiddley » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:17 am

I too use my pinky, although my guitar teacher doesn't like it. He says the pinky should be kept free to play other notes if needed. I just love how easy it to play a Barred E-form and drop right down in the same frets to Barred A form esp, the G/C combo for "Bertha". Also the last joint on my pinky has so much more mobility than the ring finger and can bend almost completely backwards so it doesn't cover the high E string the way my ring finger does. It just is so much more comfortable but I practice it the other way as well and am getting the hang of it (sometimes).
bodiddley

Postby Billbbill » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:20 am

**it doesn't cover the high E string the way my ring finger does.**

I also can voice the high e better with the pinky. I also will use the ring finger if I want to use the pinky for a sus4 or 7th etc. It's best to not be married to either I'd say but I mostly use the pinky, undoubtedly the influence of jg.

I'll often barre just the b, g & d stings with my index finger if I'm not concerning myself with voicing the root bass note. Easy to work major scale licks off of that.

Or use just the ring finger for the the above referenced strings and have the index finger poised 2 frets back to barre and work some blues licks.
Billbbill

Postby Jimkkc » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:55 am

On top of what everyone else has said, using the pinky just looks cool. I am glad I spent so many years using the pinky b/c now that I am actually studying jazz guitar and attempting to play more jazz (with apologies to Joe Pass, of course) my pinky is as "strong" as my other fingers - which when playing 13th's and the like sure comes in handy.
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Return to The Think Tank