Question about melody...

Question about melody...

Postby Benthegoodbum » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:53 pm

I am a little confused about how to find the melody of a song. For one thing I don't really know what melody is. So I was wondering can someone explain what it is and how to find it in a song? I hope this isn't too tall of an order.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby squire758 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:24 pm

most simply, the melody is the aspect of the song you would be humming if you hummed the song. or:

n 1: a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence; "she was humming an air from Beethoven"
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby LazyLightnin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:43 pm

alot of times it the vocal line, Jerry played alot of his solos off the basic melody of the tune. i guess an example would be the guitar parts in black muddy river.
LazyLightnin

Postby HOWEYMAN » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:54 am

LazyLightnin wrote:alot of times it the vocal line, Jerry played alot of his solos off the basic melody of the tune. i guess an example would be the guitar parts in black muddy river.

That is a damn good example.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby eyeprod » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 am

The above posters are absolutely correct. Melody is what you can hum without singing the words. Usually the vocal melody is the most noticeable melody in a song and alot of the time the solos will be based around that melody. Another example of Jerry doing it is in Row Jimmy.
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Benthegoodbum » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:46 am

Thanks a lot my fellow musicians. This has really helped me to grasp the whole concept of melody much better. My hats off to you.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Return to The Think Tank