How Big Was Jerry?

How Big Was Jerry?

Postby Cosmic Jimmy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:00 pm

This may seem wierd, but I was watching him in a DVD and for some reason couldnt stop thinking about how tall and how much jerry weighed? I don't know how anyone might know the answer, but if you do drop a line.
Steal your face right off your head.
Cosmic Jimmy
Donna
Donna

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:32 am

first, he was very very small... then, as time went by, he became bigger.

but seriously I believe I remember his 80's driver's license stating height 6'0" and don't quite remember the weight at the time, but I suspect he might have peaked pre-coma in 86 and again circa 92 at around 270 or 280.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Shaggy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:32 am

Strange question!!

I'd say Jerry was about 5'11 tall and of course his weight went up and down, wouldn't like to guess on that.
Shaggy

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:19 am

definitely less than 6ft, if you watch the letterman interview thats on youtube, both bobby and dave are taller than him. he was a portly little fellow then
caspersvapors

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:33 am

The most weight he ever reached was right 300. according to blair jackson.
BlobWeird

Postby CaptainTrips » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:24 pm

big enough to fill my heart with his music
CaptainTrips

Postby JONZILLA » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am

Jerry Garcia was sooo big...that every time he..... he could only be asked nicely to put an end to the chaos which may follow. At least that's what SHE said.
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby bodiddley » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:16 am

I often wonder if there was any surgery Jerry could have had done on his heart or maybe a stomach staple that would have prolonged his life, we all new he wasn't gonna give up his vices. Hell, even after the '92 scare when he supposedly had a personal trainer/dietician, he refused to quit smoking.
bodiddley

Postby Jimkkc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:18 pm

This may be a side note, but a word about the vices -I believe it was the type II diabetes that killed him. I have said this before in other threads; yes, the weight, milk shakes, cigarettes, and smack didn't do his body good; however, when you combine that with Type II, it is a time-bomb. Even his playing in the 90's was more a product of his Type II than any drug he may have been on. For those with diabetes (type I or II) or for those that know someone with diabetes, you know that neuropathy (loss of feeling in one's fingers, toes, and other body parts) is a byproduct of uncontrolled diabetes. And as Jerry's doc says in I believe Phil's book, Jerry's blood sugar was 500 the day he left on Spring Tour '92. For those who don't know, good blood sugar control means a reading of between 80 and 120 - so Jerry's blood sugar was 5 times what it should have been. With that number, it is easy to see why the quality of his lead playing went down and why, ultimately, he died of a heart attack (high blood sugars over time constrict blood vessels).

All this being said, if I could be "mad" at Jerry it wouldn't be for the drug use or for the weight, it would be for not managing his type II diabetes. As a person with Type I diabetes, I know that diabetes is not fun, but it is also a chronic, yet "manageable" condition. Truth be told, I have never been "mad" at Jerry - he made his choices like you and me; however, knowing what I know about diabetes and knowing that there are steps one can take to manage diabetes, I still think about what could have been with just slightly different choices.

With all that, I still thank the powers that be for bringing me in contact with his music and legacy.
Jimkkc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:41 pm

IS this like one of those things where you guess how many jelly beans are in the jar and if you are closest you win the whole thing? If so I would guess at his heaviest he was about 280, he was kind of big boned as well, so maybe 289.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:40 am

I you haven't seen this, it is worth a peek.

Perfectly safe for work & the squeamish

http://www.chickenhead.com/stuff/jerry/index.html
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Life's choices

Postby docmeister » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:03 pm

What I understand from Jimkkc is that Jerry had a serious medical condition that he couldn't (or wouldn't) control. It looks like it was easier to go with the flow (work hard and be distracted by all of the busyness of the world), support the family and the karmic path that had been laid. This is not to judge the man - let him/her/without sin throw the first stone (or something like that) but the message is that everybody has a challenge to not get sucked into a path that is destructive and take care of thenselves in all aspects. Bottom line, Jerry liked sweets of all sorts and couldn't say no. He made a choice, he's not crying now. He was chubby as a kid and when he got older, chubby++ as an adult. He probably would have benefited from yoga and meditation if he had the time (and the wherewithal to do such) The mythology says that he died with a smile on his face - not such a bad way to go. This life is a limited trip - make a joyous noise unto the Lord!
docmeister
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby caspersvapors » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:50 pm

mutant_dan wrote:I you haven't seen this, it is worth a peek.

Perfectly safe for work & the squeamish

http://www.chickenhead.com/stuff/jerry/index.html

how legit is that? lol a fucking key!
caspersvapors

Postby strumminsix » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:32 pm

That chickenhead link is funny!!!

[img]The%20mythology%20says%20that%20he%20died%20with%20a%20smile%20on%20his%20face[/img]
Hmmm, I've heard that too. But don't believe it. It's almost plausible if you think he welcomed death compared to his existence. But I cannot see anyone smiling as their heart stops beating forever amidst of an awful feeling of detoxing.
strumminsix

Postby docmeister » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:23 pm

I'm glad you acknowledge the mythology but I think you have a limited view of "existance" which I don't think Jerry and band did (which is neither here nor there) because they were too absorbed with the moment. Who's to say that his life now is less now? Peace.
docmeister
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Next

Return to The Think Tank