moe. vs. SCI?

moe. vs. SCI?

Postby China Cat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:36 pm

I love both, but who do you guys think is the better of two of todays best jam bands: string cheese incident or moe.?

I personally am leaning towards moe., they are more consistent than SCI.

Also, post w/e about other jammers like widespread panic, disco biscuits, phish, etc
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby CaptainTrips » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:27 pm

SCI to be sure, to my ear moe. is just too loose and wreckless.
CaptainTrips

Postby phreaker » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:38 pm

they both have such a different sound.

I'll go with SCI just cause I've seen and listened to them more.
phreaker

Postby Benthegoodbum » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 pm

I'm gonna have to go with String Cheese. They just have a better style of music than moe. The thing about moe in my opinion is that they are too "rocky" for me and they can get pretty damn heavy sometimes. String Cheese has that mellow sound I'm into.
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby abspatz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:30 pm

panic, baby panic. tight jams, lyrics that have a deep meaning. although i dig moe also! :cool:
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby phpbb » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:41 pm

I am very interested to hear how Jimmy Herring will fit in with Panic.
phpbb

Postby abspatz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:46 pm

no doubt. i never really got too into george's sound...a little too in-your-face for me. i'm hoping that jimmy can bring back some of the subtleties of mikey.
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby spilly » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:57 pm

Moe. the level of intensity they cane achieve brings out my wild side. plus their kind of goofy
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby d-v-s » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:18 am

China Cat,
you've got a good point with SCI's consistency. But IMHO SCI's got a better sound than moe. I tried a couple of moe's albums, but I never really felt compelled to listen to them again. could be that I just never heard the right album from them... or maybe you just have to see them live.

Panic didn't do anything for me, either, but with Herring at the wheel, I'd be willing to give them another shot.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby st stephen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:38 am

have not seen moe in a while, but to me sci just has a very unique sound with a very unique concert experience. I saw them on friday night at radio city the night ratdog opened up and i was litterally blown away by sci. When it started i was like this is a little weird by the end of the first song i was saying this is the tightest band i have seen since phish in 98. Man those guys were on that night. Are you guys telling me that sci is not always that tight???
st stephen
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby hesgone95 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 am

I don't really dig either one, but I'd have to go with moe. SCI is a shite band IMHO, I realize that's gonna piss some folks off, but I just don't get 'em. For me, there is nothing inspirational about their jams or their style in general. I find them incredibly 'yawn'. Although I will say their cover of Weather Report's Birdland is cool.

Just my opinion...nothing more
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby HOWEYMAN » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:16 am

for me, its simply what mood I'm in. Moe gives me things that SCI doesn't and vice versa. When I'm feeling a little agressive, Moe hits the spot. But when feeling mellow and kind, SCI hits it. I'll be let me see....Moth or Birdland? (for example) and sometimes its a hard decision. Overall I enjoy SCI, and listen to them, more often. I think SCI's sound is a little more complex, in a good way. But hey, It's all good, I dig a lot of Moe material. When no decision can be made, I default to the Dead, always.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:16 am

I just don't get anything from SCI's music anymore. I dug it when they were a tear-it-up Latinissimo Bluegrass-y String surprise in the 90's, but now... the thing is they just don't ever SCARE me like a really awesome band should. They are all rainbows and puppies, no fire-breathing dragon, and just bore me into the dirt.

Haven't heard or seen moe. since about 99, but it's almost like these bands cover two facets that Phish could swing between with ease when they were atop their game. moe. covered the hot sweaty rocking out with the greatest of funky blues riffs, while SCI covered the aforementioned "brightly lit" areas.

Finally saw the phish tribute Phix the other night and they are MONEY!!!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby HOWEYMAN » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 am

In response to tigerstrat, I have to say, I may have to agree, possibly. I have only seen SCI once a few years ago, and they were awesome. Untying the Knot and One Step Closer, just didn't seem "right" for me. They are good albums, but are they SCI? I mean, compare to Born on the Wrong Planet, and its like what the fu? ya know.
I'm planning on SCI again soon, and this time should be even more intense then the last time, but will it be?...will have to see.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby China Cat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am

i agree with tigerstrat a lot. SCI is sick at times, but their more recent stuff is too weid, with too much spacey stuff. their old stuff is way better. moe does get a little extra heavy sometimes, but i still think theyre more consistent. overall, i think it would be impossible to decide whether prime SCI is better or worse than prime Moe.
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Next

Return to The Think Tank