Rhino Deal

Rhino Deal

Postby justcoophere » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:29 pm

I just received the new Rolling Stone and read the article "The Dead Stay Alive With New Deal". This article states the boys have signed a deal with Rhino records that virtually puts the company in the driver seat with their musical library and merchandising. I am skeptical to say the least. I mean, c'mon moving the vault from Marin County to Burbank?. What will happen to the shows I love to stream/download etc? Will Abercrombie and Fitch have $60.00 polo shirts with a "SYF" on them? These guys have always been capitalists and I'm cool with that....but wary of the details. I can't imagine they signed away their vault w/o a good deal for themselves. I sure hope Bob Weir can still put his kids through college..(love ya Bob). The devil is in the details. Then again maybe it will allow the guys to get back to playing music live, which is what they do best. Thoughts,comments and info welcome.
justcoophere
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby whitelacestrange » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:37 pm

wait... so we wont be able to stream or download shows amymore?
we must.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Rhino Deal

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:04 pm

justcoophere wrote:I just received the new Rolling Stone and read the article "The Dead Stay Alive With New Deal". This article states the boys have signed a deal with Rhino records that virtually puts the company in the driver seat with their musical library and merchandising. I am skeptical to say the least. I mean, c'mon moving the vault from Marin County to Burbank?. What will happen to the shows I love to stream/download etc? Will Abercrombie and Fitch have $60.00 polo shirts with a "SYF" on them? These guys have always been capitalists and I'm cool with that....but wary of the details. I can't imagine they signed away their vault w/o a good deal for themselves. I sure hope Bob Weir can still put his kids through college..(love ya Bob). The devil is in the details. Then again maybe it will allow the guys to get back to playing music live, which is what they do best. Thoughts,comments and info welcome.

keep in mind it is only for ten years. sort of a lease, with the boys maintaining creative control.

and as far as getting back out and playin that is exactly what billy said he hopes they can now do.

time will tell.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby hesgone95 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:43 am

I gotta say I'm a bit skeptical as well. In the interest of protecting their "rights" will rhino clamp down on sites like this? Will Ed and Greg have troubles because they've provided a space to share and talk about the music of the grateful dead? I dunno, we'll see.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

I miss Jerry

Postby justcoophere » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:08 pm

Its hard to believe Jerry has been gone 11 years. I (we) have crossed so many miles since then. I always looked forward to Spring tour then Summer tour and then Fall tour, but in hindsight, I would have prefered to see him slow down, get a grip and still be alive.
justcoophere
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Return to The Think Tank