Bounciest solo?

Bounciest solo?

Postby winston » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:42 pm

I am still working on my transcription project, narrowing the focus this week. One of Jerry's trademarks is a bouncy style - lots of unpredictable turns and stops that tickle the mind and punctuate his language.

What is your favorite solo along these lines, or what would you say is particularly bouncy? Name the show or album, the song, and if necessary, where to find it in the song. Thanks!
winston
bruce
bruce

Postby BlobWeird » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:39 pm

When it comes to bouncy, offbeat, quirky Jerry then I would say The Eleven from the fillmore 3=disc box set in 69. I cant get enough of it. But then again that is wayy too much to tab so I dunno. 02-03-78 They Love Each Other has a really nice solo with bounce. Also China Cat has a good bouncy solo more often than not.
BlobWeird

Postby winston » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:04 pm

"The Eleven" is in 11/4, isn't it? I generally feel out of my ken unless it's a multiple of 3 or 4.

"They Love Each Other" is right on. What gave me the idea for this topic was, in fact, a TLEO that caught my ear - 6/10/73. I'll check out the '78, thanks.

Years ago I transcribed the China Cat from Europe '72, perhaps I should revisit that - unless someone has a suggestion for a bouncier one?
winston
bruce
bruce

Postby whitelacestrange » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:27 pm

as far as "bouncy" solo's, i'd go for songs like estamated prophet and shakedown street. they seem to really have an all over the place feel to them, and the distortion adds to it. their probrobly not hard to tab either.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:34 am

Whitelace is onto somethin with shakedown. Beyond description box set has a bonus disc with a nasty shakedown i love that one. A good melody not so much bouncy but just really moving is Ramble on Rose from europe 72. That solo gives me goosegumps its so good. But china cat wouldnt be bad either yet I already know that solo. Well whatever you pick im sure ill enjoy it. And dont forget about the rest of that Peggy-O from 12-27-77.
BlobWeird

Postby jahozer » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:38 am

The Dancin In the Streets Solo from 5/8/77 is purty bouncy... :cool:
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Shaggy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:29 am

How about:

Eyes Of The World - Wake of the Flood album
US Blues - Mars Hotel album
Might As Well - Reflections album

Or some of the up tempo Berthas and Uncle Johns Band, actually listen to:

Uncle Johns Band - April 27 1971 (the Ladies and Gentleman vault release)

Listen to Jerry's lead break after "He's come to take his children home"
Shaggy

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:34 pm

Shaggy if you want the solo from Eyes of the World on Wake of the Flood go to www.ultimate-guitar.com they have it sounds very accurate too. sorry is it ok to advertise like that in here?
BlobWeird

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:55 pm

jahozer wrote:The Dancin In the Streets Solo from 5/8/77 is purty bouncy... :cool:

So nasty is that solo!!!! I would say that solo and the NFA solo from that same night are two of Jerry's finest! On a side note, there is some great Bobby bounciness in those up-tempo FOTD's in I think '73 or '74. Incredible rhtyhmic bounciness, pretty much playing a lead line the whole song through.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby Shaggy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:17 am

BlobWeird wrote:Shaggy if you want the solo from Eyes of the World on Wake of the Flood go to www.ultimate-guitar.com they have it sounds very accurate too. sorry is it ok to advertise like that in here?

I'm not after it myself or my other suggestions, was just giving a few examples to winston instead. :-)
Shaggy

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:30 pm

www.ultimate-guitar.com was riddled with wrong chords in several songs I looked at, and it just seemed like a bad joke in places:
Estimated Prophet Bass Tab by Grateful Dead, www.Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Grateful Dead- Estimated Prophet

This is the opening bassline Phil improvs the rest of the time and you can do
the same.

G---------------------2-------------------------------------
D------------------------4---2-------4----------------------
A-----------2--4----------------4------2--4-----------------
E----2---5-----------------------------------5--------------

Easy if you know the song. Have fun i wrote it just for you!

-Petee

Let's see where do I start... OK, first that's nowhere near anything Phil plays in the song, but it comes close to nailing Jerry's intro (and outro) line.

But then we get "Phil improvs the rest of the time and you can do the same."

Huh???

Not to mention he doesn't even bother with the chorus or bridge... don't worry it's all improv!! :lol:
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:54 pm

Im not sayin thats a good site or anything, because it definitely isnt accurate or is missing half the song half the time but the eyes solo sounds pretty good to me.
BlobWeird

Postby d-v-s » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:23 am

when I think of a "bouncy" solo, I tend to think of "Franklin's Tower".

Maybe that's just because I saw Jerry actually bouncing while playing the solo in the early 90's - a rare movement for Jerry in those days.

I'm sure there's better versions out there, but the only one that comes to mind now is from disc 2 of without a net.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby AugustWest » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:51 pm

Franklin's tower is a good place to start. Early 80's version seem to have the most "bounce" imo. I would also suggest The Greatest Story from 8/27/72 ventura fairgrounds eugene,OR.

The rhythm of that song has a nice bounce to it, and this version has one of the sickest solo's I've ever heard at the end of it. Be prepared to be using a lot of wah. I would say that it fits in your description of "bouncy" fairly well.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:12 am

Franklin's: 4/26/83, 10/27/79 ...

super-bouncy and fun is the Second That Emotion solo from 4/29/71... almost too obvious and well-circulated to mention! One of the only versions by the Dead.

JGB: Midnight Moonlight 5/31/83! Love in the Afternoon 6/16/82!! That's Alright Mama 2/15/80! Lone Some & a Long Way 11/27/77!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to The Think Tank