Best Guitar Player Alive Right Now??

Best Guitar Player Alive Right Now??

Postby st stephen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 am

Who is the best guitar player alive right now????
st stephen
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby phreaker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:55 am

Leo Kottke has got to be up there somewhere.

And sometimes I don't like his music, you gotta give Buckethead some props. The man can go from Rockabilly, to classical, to metal, to a star wars theme song in one little jam. Plays with 8 fingers too.
phreaker

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:57 am

A couple names that come to mind right off the bat would be Tony Rice and Doc Watson. Doc's better days of picking have past! He is a national treasure when it comes to traditional playing. Tony Rice plays fast as all get out but he doesn't do much for me melodically.

Having said that, recently I was totally floored by Derek Trucks. Considering his age, I imagine he is only going to get better.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby HOWEYMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 am

[quote="mutant_dan"}Having said that, recently I was totally floored by Derek Trucks. Considering his age, I imagine he is only going to get better.[/quote]

Imagine what it would be like growing up around all that talent. (Allman Brothers family and friends). From a young age he was recieving guitar lessons from some of the masters. fortunate son of a b. He is one of my favorites. His tone sweet.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby phreaker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:57 pm

oh man, if your into DTB check out ANY live version of "Sailing on" each version is better than the last.
phreaker

Postby HOWEYMAN » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:07 pm

phreaker wrote:oh man, if your into DTB check out ANY live version of "Sailing on" each version is better than the last.

Thats so funny. I work with this girl that has better musical tastes then most women I know, and I let her borrow Songlines to open her mind from John Mayer and Jasin Marz and the like (she hates the Dead) and she said she liked the whole album except for Sailing on, which I thought was one of the best songs on the album. (the whole album kicks ass). I personally can't understand why anyone could not like the music we listen to. It just unbelievable to me. Trucks Rules!
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby ded1hed » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:55 pm

buddy guy has got to be up there

dude can flat out tear it up when he wants, one of the few guys who can play hendrix without much (if any) drop off.
ded1hed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby AugustWest » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:30 pm

I agree leo kottke is amazing guitar player!!!! I saw him live recently and it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped, but he can still play. my choice however is Robbie Robertson. I always thought Robbie was one of the most amazing guitar players ever. Doesn't really get a lot of credit like his peers of the time (clapton, hendrix, richards, page) but we all know those london scene kids just didn't have the ballsy soul of people like Garcia, Robertson, and Duane.

Robbie's guitar playing sounds like american rock n roll at it's roots (imo). He switches from rhythm to ripping leads with such ease. Just great guitarist imo. Loved him best as dylans wonder boy and with the band. Didn't like much of his early solo efforts but I loved his latter stuff. I don't think i've heard anyone talk about him on this forum, so i'm intrested in what everyone else thinks.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Postby wisedyes » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:19 pm

That's a REALLY loaded question. I mean, from what point of view? For pure technical expertise, there are classical players that no one can touch, like John Williams or Julian Bream. What about really good jazz players, like Kenny Burrell, or John Scofeild, or Pat Metheny? Very few rock players can even concieve of the stuff those guys do, let alone pull it off.

What about an Alan Holdsworth? Or a Steve Vai? John McLaughlin? How many of us could say with a straight face, that, just as a guitarist, Jerry was even in their league? There's just too many phenomenal players out there to even try to answer this. A better question is who is your particular favorite?
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:04 pm

Nice to see Leo getting some props.

I think he is the best guitar player alive right now.

His two albums with Mike Gordon are great (as is most of his stuff).
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby amyjared » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:06 pm

I LOVE questions like this, because they're so loaded and so open-ended. I have several faves for different reasons. Acoustic, I like Steve Howe. He tears it up! I think Steve Morse is technically one of the best players to have ever lived, and I have seen him live, both with the Dixie Dregs and with his own band and he can play anything well. Hell, he was asked to be the guitarist in Deep Purple and Kansas! He can even play acoustic masterpieces. Eric Johnson has an incredible talent, and when I saw him, it made me want to put away the instrument. Of course, he doesn't really do it for me and I don't listen to his stuff, but I still respect him. Same goes for Holdsworth, DiMeola, Vai and the rest of the shredders. I can appreciate it, but it doesn't MOVE me. Those who do MOVE me are: Santana, Clapton, Alvin Lee, Dickie Betts and Warren Haynes. Derek will be one of the best slide players, but right now I much prefer Roy Rogers and Robert Randolph. Just my opinion!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Shaggy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:05 am

In a world where it's currently too hard to name the best heavyweight boxer in the world it's impossible to name the greatest guitarist in the world.

I mean there are so many legends still around but not as active or as groundbreaking as they once were.

Someone like Derek Trucks is hugely exciting though because of his age.

I've always thought that David Lindley was one of the most amazing players I've ever heard.
Shaggy

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:45 am

I'll throw the name Fareed Haque in the ring. He never fails to astound me whether playing solo, or with the exquisite Fareed Haque Group, or completely losing his mind with Garaj Mahal.

Leo Kottke is by FAR... EASILY- the greatest acoustic fingerstyle progressive folk guitarist ever to pick up a 6 or 12 string guitar. GREAT to see recognition here! First time I saw him was 1988 at the tiny Woodstock,IL Opera House (exterior featured in Groundhog Day)... last time was last summer at Horning's Hideout with Gordon- ALWAYS a mindblowing experience. Keller William s owes 90% of his technique to him in a big way... although curiously, in interviews he only ever seems to give props to Michael Hedges (who may be more indebted to in terms of writing and vocals)

[/i]
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby renorover » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:49 am

Robben Ford comes to mind as does Gary Moore. Do you mean someone who can make ya shake yorass or someone who is awesomely intricate and original. I love Elvin Bishop and in some venues he is the best. Doc Watson is great no doubt, but so is Eric Johnson. I mean sometimes even Taj Mahal can take my mind thru a maze. Eric Clapton was the best but he found 1)success and 2)success. Not to mention Ry Cooder or Stevie Vai. The best? Wow, thats like saying the sexiest woman alive today......if ya mention your wife you're an ass and if ya dont you're gonna be hungry for a week
renorover
welcome
welcome

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:12 pm

Obviously the answer is me. All kidding aside, definitely a multiple answer answer but the guy that stands out right now for me is Derek Trucks. Whoever said that here before I agree completely. SO many ripping fusion guys with speed, so many jazz cats with insane soul and feel, so many blues players with guts and riffs, so many guys out there with insane chops and he seems like he can do every one of them amazingly well on the guitar and he has added the dimension of using half (partial) tones and Eastern scales as part of his signature sound by using the slide. All always thought he was kind of like Coltrane on acid with a guitar. Not to mention, his tone is ridiculously perfect. However, I think the reigning and current Michael Jordan of guitar has still got to be John McLaughlin.
Last edited by Crazy 9.5 Fingers on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Next

Return to The Think Tank