movable chords, jazz chords, what in the world????

movable chords, jazz chords, what in the world????

Postby worldcup11 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 am

I am looking for help/advice anything.. I've been playing guitar now for a lil over a year. I'm in the navy and needless to say I've had ample time to practice. I only play acoustic. I know barre chords, 7ths, major, minor, basic theory, etc... What I have been trying to figure out is..

What are all those little easy looking jazz sounding chords that I see people play.. And then I see them sliding that same chord up and down the board and it sounds all melodic and pretty, ha.. Umm I just can't figure it out.. Anyone have any what the heck I'm talking about??? Thanks.
worldcup11
welcome
welcome

Postby wisedyes » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:59 am

Any chord that is a closed form ( that means no open strings; all fretted notes ) may be moved up and down the neck. What you need to do is learn two things. First, what note ( or notes ) in the chord form is the root note, and second, how to correlate that knowledge with where on the fretboard you are.

For example, take a garden variety 1st position F Major chord. You have two F's in the chord; on the 4th and 1st string. Either of these are considered the root note. Slide the entire chord up to the 5th fret, you now have an A Major chord.

In jazz, lots of times they are playing only partial chords, or rootless chords, and almost always some type of extended chord ( a chord containing more than just the 1-3-5 notes, usually has a 7th and some sort of "color" note, like a 9th, 13th, #11, etc. ). This is a bit trickier, because you need to know the chord well enough to know where the root would be, even though you probably aren't playing it.

A good jazz chord /theory book would be immensely helpful to you, if you relly want to delve into this. It's a huge subject. I would suggest you visit www.jodyfisher.com, and check out his book on Chord Melody ( that is what this type of playing is called ). It's the best one I have ever found.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby nedcat » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:41 pm

Mel Bay's Orchestra Chord Instructional Booklet
circa 1964-66 might be an interesting read :lol:
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Thanks!

Postby worldcup11 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:45 am

That was exactly what I think I needed to hear. I will surely get those books... I love bluegrass/folk, but I guess I'm still finding which direction I want to take my playing. :-)
worldcup11
welcome
welcome

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:55 am

nedcat wrote:Mel Bay's Orchestra Chord Instructional Booklet
circa 1964-66 might be an interesting read :lol:

Or the late Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:38 pm

I second that Ted Greene emotion there, great great book! He looks like a cross between Jerry and Jim Henson if that makes it more enticing.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby wisedyes » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:01 pm

The Ted Greene book is pretty advanced stuff, though, for a novice. Can't really think of agood book for bluegrass chording, though.
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby jck_strw » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Yeah that Ted Greene book is totally whacked out. It's this tiny, handwritten chord notation and there's pages and pages and pages of it. It's really dense material. I've never been able to crack it.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby phpbb » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:14 pm

phpbb

HMMMM...

Postby worldcup11 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:52 am

I am really interested, and relieved that I have this community now..Anyway. I am most definatly going to purchase the Jody Fisher beginning jazz guitar book. I look at it on Amazon, and read the reviews. Sounds perfect.. I will keep you all posted.

THANKS!!
worldcup11
welcome
welcome

Postby wisedyes » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:50 am

Good for you. Jody Fisher is a fantastic teacher, as well as an unbelievable player. He is also one of the jazz instructors at the National Guitar Workshop, and he is a teacher on workshoplive ( www.workshoplive.com ), which is an online music education site. Very worthwhile, especially if you are in a situation like myself where you live in a rural area, and are probably already one of the best players around, but still want to learn.
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Return to The Think Tank