You Tube

You Tube

Postby ebick » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:01 am

I have seen a couple of comments about supporting the tabs with demos. I scratch my head just a bit, because I know that most all of the tabs have both an mp3 and a midi suporting file for just that purpose. In the beginning, it was this feature that I thought separated my tabs from others. Before deciding that the tab was wrong, you could listen to the sound file which was "what this tab sounds like when I play it", and then decide if you thought that there was a transcription error, or I simply did not know what I was talking about.

When I see the comments about adding this kind of thing, I am forced to wonder, are people not aware of or using these? Or do people think that they just plain suck.

At any rate, while playing around on YouTube, I discovered numerous entries of folks playing songs on their instruments (Here's one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgR3DMWL ... ical%20Gas). While many of them seem to be, "look at me, I can play this" and are of no instructional value, I cannot help but see the potential for just that......

When submitting a tab, use your web cam to record you playing it, slowly, clearly, and with the focus on the fret board, not your face......you can show us that at the end.

I may try a couple to see how it works.

Comments?
ebick

Postby jck_strw » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:05 am

That would be very cool. I use the MP3s (I don't like the way the MIDIs sound) all the time. The one thing that tab doesn't do is show you the timing, so using the MP3 certainly helps a great deal.

I would love to see/listen to some of the stuff that Bill (along with others) has tabbed out. Sometimes I can hear/play it just by reading the tab, other times it's just a bunch of numbers that I can't get to sound like anything recognizable. Although I suspect that may just be me. :)
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby amyjared » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:35 pm

Personally, I would LOVE it! I read tab pretty well, but sometimes it can be trying and difficult and sometimes the computer screen, the font, whatever, effects it and makes it work against me. I have about a dozen instructional dvd's and I learn way better if I have the tab and a video of what it should sound like. Plus, it shows the fingerings and how to move from note to note. Unfortunately, I don't have a webcam or a digital video recorder, so I am not able to do this yet. Thanks, though, for a great suggestion!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby phpbb » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:43 pm

I have the ability to create the video streams just like youtube, as well as the space to store them. if people wish to send some clips to me, I'd be willing to intigrate them into the site.
phpbb

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:56 am

phpbb wrote:I have the ability to create the video streams just like youtube, as well as the space to store them. if people wish to send some clips to me, I'd be willing to intigrate them into the site.

WOW!!!

now that is service.

how can one not appreciate the generosity here! :smile:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby whitelacestrange » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:29 am

just though i'd add this. i just found it and i was blown away
best version of "down by the river" by CSNY ever

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Jrqg_oaGcw& ... he%20river

and as for the tabs.... i never really cared about hearing audio, i wouldnt want to learn a song i hadnt already heard or have on my computer anyway. idk, thats just me.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby ebick » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:09 pm

whitelacestrange wrote:and as for the tabs.... i never really cared about hearing audio, i wouldnt want to learn a song i hadnt already heard or have on my computer anyway. idk, thats just me.

That wasn't really the point of the audio support files. As jck_strw mentioned, sometimes the tabs just look like a bunch of numbers and you find yourself saying, as you try figure it out, "what does the author think this sounds like when played"?

Additionally, they provide a filtered path (no other instruments) to the part.
ebick

Postby whitelacestrange » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:21 pm

well.... i guess this would be usuful for interpreting tabs that are flat out wrong, but isnt the tab suppose to be accurate with the song?

i mean... i know that alot of time online you get crap, but i wouldnt wanna learn something the wrong way anyway.

but as for the providing a filtered path part, i think that would be useful.
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby winston » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:17 pm

When I see the comments about adding this kind of thing, I am forced to wonder, are people not aware of or using these? Or do people think that they just plain suck.

As a computer programmer, I can tell you that they just don't see them. If I could make a button that would bite the user in the ass, I would get two complaints: 1) something bit me in the ass, and 2) I can't find the button.

the time. The one thing that tab doesn't do is show you the timing, so using the MP3 certainly helps a great deal.

This is the nub of the problem. I like the MP3s, the MIDI, and the video idea, but I would like to add one other option here, which is to have the musical notation on top of the tab. Many tab generators do this. You can even do "tab as notation", which puts stems and bars on the tab notes and has rests, just like real notation. The only problem is you would have to go to images instead of text. Finally, if you wanted to stick with text, many of these tab generators can also output text with markers above the tab staff, e.g., H for half note, etc. - it doesn't look very good but it does display timing. Like so:

Code: Select all
Am
   +H     Q   E  E    E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E
|------------------|-------------------------|
|-(13)-------------|-------------------------|
|------------------|-------12----12-12-13-14-|
|---------------12-|-13-14----14-------------|
|------------15----|-------------------------|
|------------------|-------------------------|

winston
bruce
bruce

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:08 pm

whitelacestrange wrote:just though i'd add this. i just found it and i was blown away

I love Roy Buchanans version

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IoJhWoWW924& ... 20buchanan
caspersvapors

Postby phpbb » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Ed whipped up this sample video file which I converted to flash video and placed on a simple page:

http://www.bickslicks.com/index.html

We are interested in Streaming Quality and Downloading problems, the ability to understand the fingering and positions on the fretboard and the clarity of the video.
phpbb

Postby ebick » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:36 pm

We should add a link on the Half Step page and maybe you could draw some attention to it from the front page for those who do not frequent the forums.
ebick

Postby phpbb » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:05 pm

phpbb

Postby whitelacestrange » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:38 pm

caspersvapors wrote:
whitelacestrange wrote:just though i'd add this. i just found it and i was blown away

I love Roy Buchanans version

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IoJhWoWW924& ... 20buchanan

personally, i think that neils version is the best, roy buchananas is alot more melow, but i love that grungy style neil adds to it, and that guitar solo with neil young and steven stills is on fire, thats the best version of the song i've ever heard.
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby ebick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:04 am

phpbb wrote:http://www.rukind.org/html/music/gdtunes/Halfstep.htm#J2

Great Job, Gregg, that looks great. I accessed it using my laptop and my Sprint card, it was a little draggy in parts, but still worked good.

Ed
ebick

Next

Return to The Think Tank