pull-offs

pull-offs

Postby steve » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:04 am

does anyone have any tips on this technique? i always seem to have trouble getting a clear sound, especially when I am trying this on frets that aren't right next to each other (actually, i dont think i've got that to work yet). anyway, pull-offs are very prominent in jerry's playing and i'm trying to get that sound in my style as well
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby b weird » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:47 am

I think the only thing to do would be to just sit down with your guitar and practice. As they say: "Practice make perfect."
b weird

Re: pull-offs

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:50 am

steve wrote:anyway, pull-offs are very prominent in jerry's playing and i'm trying to get that sound in my style as well

I'd disagree with ya there. He may have done it occasionally but if you read interviews from the 70s guitar player mags, etc. you'll see he's not all that much about hammers and pull-offs instead going for plucking, if you will, each note and playing it with the proper conviction.
strumminsix

Postby steve » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:23 am

i coulda sworn that in reading an interview with jerry, i saw that he said that he used pull-offs regularly, but didnt use hammer-on's frequently b/c he couldn't be positive on how the sound would come out. could be mistaken, i guess

so if he doesnt use pull-off's a lot, how does he get that really quick descending sound that is so prevalent in his music? i just assumed pull-offs, but there is such strong tone to each of the notes so I guess its possible he plays each one?
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:51 am

OF course Jerry uses the pull offs. Yes he was a great flat-picker as well, but pull offs are huge in his playing. A classic pull off is at the top of the last solo on the Without A Net version of Althea. Let's also keep in mind that interviews are not nearly as good of a representation of Jerry's playing as Jerry's playing, even if it is Jerry talking about his playing. Bottom line, he pulled off a ton, he flat-picked a ton, he was incredibly versatile and very articulate in both styles. My advice on pull offs, sit down with a metronome and do them really slowly at first. Getting things to sound good slower is a lot harder than doing it faster some times, especially with hammers and pull offs. Practice them higher up on the fretboard for a while and then move down further and further as your technique gets better. Also, practice them on an acoustic and then when you pick up the electric it will feel like butter!
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:59 am

I've been thinking about my post since I wrote it and I've come to a conclusion that something is wrong somewhere. After posting, I was jamming to some tunes and swear I heard JG using pull-offs and it wasn't unfamiliar to my ears...

Now, that leads me to hypothesize where the error is:
1. I read the interview wrong or too long ago and lumped them together.
2. JG didn't realize how often he used pull-offs but he does and so he said what I remember him saying.

Now, onto your question... Here is my suggestion:
Stop thinking of it like a pull-off.
Start thinking of it like a pull-down.

No on to the tough question, do you play with your fingertips or the meat of your fingerprint? If you aren't truly playing with your tips you'll prolly find this hard to do.

Here is how I do it:
1. I fret the string a little higher than I normally would on my fingertip
2. Fret my next note a bit harder than normally since the string is about to get plucked closer.
3. Fret the note to pull from a bit harder and downward like plucking it with the caloused tip of my finger.

That might help!
strumminsix

Postby steve » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:22 am

I appreciate the tips. i'll definitely be giving them a try later on today when i get the chance. i mentioned before about pulling-off on non-adjacent frets, i've never really been able to do it. is that used a lot or is it mostly done on adjacent frets?
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:18 am

Depending on the interval of notes you are playing, it is done every way possible. Half steps, whole steps, one and a half steps, and even more if one so desires. Jerry did all of them, he did a lot of chromatic pull offs (adjacent frets), he did a lot of whole step, and he did a lot of half into whole, for example a double pull off going from fret 15, to 14, to 12,on the G string and then pick the 14th fret on the D string (E note). Basically this is just another way to play the standard blues riff where usually someone bends the first note up a half step, bends it back down, pulls off etc. Think of it like this, when you bend a string a half note, it is like hammering on a half step, so brining the bends back down can be played as pull offs from the actual note of the tone you bent to. Sorry if this is confusing, I wish I could just show it to you. On that note,does anyone hear use You Tube or U Tube? Is there a way we can set something up where we would be able to do quick videos of demonstrations, licks, whatever and share them online. Could be cool, and another good diversion from doing actual work.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby phreaker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:20 pm

strumminsix wrote:I've been thinking about my post since I wrote it and I've come to a conclusion that something is wrong somewhere. After posting, I was jamming to some tunes and swear I heard JG using pull-offs and it wasn't unfamiliar to my ears...

Now, that leads me to hypothesize where the error is:
1. I read the interview wrong or too long ago and lumped them together.
2. JG didn't realize how often he used pull-offs but he does and so he said what I remember him saying.

Now, onto your question... Here is my suggestion:
Stop thinking of it like a pull-off.
Start thinking of it like a pull-down.

No on to the tough question, do you play with your fingertips or the meat of your fingerprint? If you aren't truly playing with your tips you'll prolly find this hard to do.

Here is how I do it:
1. I fret the string a little higher than I normally would on my fingertip
2. Fret my next note a bit harder than normally since the string is about to get plucked closer.
3. Fret the note to pull from a bit harder and downward like plucking it with the caloused tip of my finger.

That might help!

you should be a teacher. like a college proffesor.
phreaker

Postby steve » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:37 pm

thanks crazy 9.5, visualizing it like that actually does make a lot of sense to me.

that you tube idea i think would be really cool, any diversion from actual work is always welcome!
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:44 pm

steve wrote:i coulda sworn that in reading an interview with jerry, i saw that he said that he used pull-offs regularly, but didnt use hammer-on's frequently b/c he couldn't be positive on how the sound would come out. could be mistaken, i guess

that is exactly what he says, he also mentions how he would do pull offs in triplets a lot (which he does more than any other guitar player ive heard)
caspersvapors

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:33 pm

phreaker wrote:you should be a teacher. like a college proffesor.

Is that a compliment??

Here is a link to the fingertips comment:
http://gratefuljim.home.comcast.net/gpjg07.htm

caspersvapors wrote:
steve wrote:i coulda sworn that in reading an interview with jerry, i saw that he said that he used pull-offs regularly, but didnt use hammer-on's frequently b/c he couldn't be positive on how the sound would come out. could be mistaken, i guess

that is exactly what he says, he also mentions how he would do pull offs in triplets a lot (which he does more than any other guitar player ive heard)

Not exactly but close :P

Here is where he talks about it:
http://gratefuljim.home.comcast.net/gpjg08.htm

I generally like to pick every note, but I do tend to pull-off, say, a real fast triple on things that are clos up--intervals that are heading up the scale. I do it almost without thinking about it. I amost never pull off just one note. I seldom hammer-on, because it seems to have a certain inexactitude for me. I think that was a decision I made while playing banjo. My prerference is for the well-spoken tone, and I think coming stright down on the strings with high knuckles makes it. So my little groups of pull-offs are really well articulaed; it's something I worked on a lot.

BTW, speaking of hammer-ons and pull-off, the licks in HELP are sick!

Here's how I'm doing it, I don't tab too well so just know that ^ is both a hammer and pull and the notes in bold are what I pluck.

..................Fm.................Cm
E-----------------4------------------5----
B-----------------6------------------6----
G---------5^3-----5-----------5^3----5----
D---3^5^6-----^5--3----3^5^6-----^5--5----
A------------------------------------3----
E-----------------------------------------
strumminsix

Postby steve » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:37 am

i gave the fingertips method a try. i always thought that i used them when playing, but when i played close attention, noticed that my fingers were rolled back slightly. the sound is, i believe, much clearer when using the tips. unfortunately i popped the g on my acoustic the other day so i haven't been able to do much on that, but i can already notice a difference on the electric!
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby b weird » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:41 pm

Hey Strumminsix what is that tune you submitted?
Code: Select all
This.
b weird

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:50 pm

b weird wrote:Hey Strumminsix what is that tune you submitted?
Code: Select all
This.

Help on the way!

Steve, doesn't it suck when we think we do something right but really aren't? Just found out that I don't pick properly today. Most times when not on the low-E, I upstroke. To quote Homer Simpson, "d'oh"
strumminsix

Next

Return to The Think Tank