Exemplary Jerry Solos Needed for Independent Study Project

Exemplary Jerry Solos Needed for Independent Study Project

Postby winston » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:40 pm

During the '05-'06 academic year, I took a guitar class focusing on solo material from three genres: bluegrass in the fall, blues in winter, and swing in the spring. The format was that we would learn a song every 1-2 weeks. Each song included 1-2 sets of chords, the melody, and 2 verses' worth of solo material. The teacher had overdubbed himself playing all of these onto a CD for us to learn from, and then also transcribed the individual parts for us. It was quite a solid format for learning.

He said that he had thought about doing this for Jerry's style, but that it was too narrow to warrant the enormous amount of work. I suggested an independent study where I would transcribe existing recordings of Jerry's material.

So, I am looking for solos to transcribe for this project. The important considerations are:

- It should be as highly illustrative of Jerry's style as possible; in particular I am thinking of the words "bouncy" and/or "blazing".

- It should follow the chords of the lyrics of a song, rather than being part of a jam on just one or two chords. (This consideration is, of course, rather tragic, as it rules out Jerry-esque jams like Supplication, and even the jams between the verses of Eyes of the World. But to the student, a close-ended solo is more interesting, like going around the block instead of walking on a treadmill.)

- It should not have been published already in guitar magazines; this rules out memorable studio solos such as Touch of Gray.

My first lesson is this Wednesday, but I will most likely continue to consider suggestions until mid-August, when the summer term will be winding down.

My current thoughts are:

- I will definitely do my favorite solo, Scarlet Begonias at Manor Downs, 7/31/82.

- As I have been looking for material, I have noticed that Jerry tends to nail material the Dead didn't write, like BIODTL, GDTR, Big River, and The Harder They Come. I would like great versions of these, but I would also appreciate suggestions for Dead songs that showcase Jerry's style.

- I want to do some songs that I can fingerpick the rhythm for and that also have great spots for solos: Crazy Fingers, Mission in the Rain, Looks Like Rain, to name a few.

Thanks!

P.S., if you're curious, the class I took has a web site at:

http://acousticguitarnetwork.org/
winston
bruce
bruce

Postby b weird » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:26 pm

I don't get it, do you want us to post solos or do you want us to tell you good versions of songs for you to tab out yourself?
b weird

Clarification

Postby winston » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:31 pm

Clarification: what I am looking for is the date of the show, the name of the song, and where I can find the solo within the song.

I can probably take it from there, if the show is not too obscure.
winston
bruce
bruce

Postby wisedyes » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:26 pm

I would suggest, as a solo that closely follows the chord progression of the song, the first solo in Deal. A particularly hot one, imho, is from Providence, RI, on 4/26/84. ( It may be 4/20/84, but I'm pretty sure that was a show at the Meadowlands. ) VEEEERY hot version, and the first solo in Deal definitely fits your criteria of following the chords, being bouncy, and blazing.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby phreaker » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:22 pm

wisedyes wrote:I would suggest, as a solo that closely follows the chord progression of the song, the first solo in Deal. A particularly hot one, imho, is from Providence, RI, on 4/26/84. ( It may be 4/20/84, but I'm pretty sure that was a show at the Meadowlands. ) VEEEERY hot version, and the first solo in Deal definitely fits your criteria of following the chords, being bouncy, and blazing.

i was going to say Deal too. Whenever I think of Jerry soloing, i think Deal.
phreaker

Postby Fuzheng » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 pm

A personal favorite: Peggy-o from 9/3/77 at Englishtown. Can be found on Dick's Picks 15(if I recall correctly)
Fuzheng
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby b weird » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 pm

How about Casey Jones for Steal Your Face. nice and bouncey and the solo follows the chord progression.
b weird

Postby nedcat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:23 pm

I think "They Love Each Other" has alot of bounce while "Samson & Delilah" gots tons of blaze.
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:14 pm

I know an AMAZING solo that is perfect for the style you are lookin for. its melody flows perfectly with the nature of the verses. Peggy O from 12/27/77 at Winterland. THis solo gives me goose bumps every time i listen to it. he builds it up in such a beautiful way. Listen and let me know what you think.
BlobWeird

Postby BlobWeird » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Oh yeah the peggy o just mentioned can be downloaded at www.nugs.net in the free stash section
BlobWeird

Postby nedcat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:35 pm

What would your Mama think?....what would your Mama think if she heard my Guineas clink?
:cool:
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby phreaker » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:41 pm

nedcat wrote:I think "They Love Each Other" has alot of bounce while "Samson & Delilah" gots tons of blaze.

Quite a few of the Deads song include some blazing.

:D
phreaker

Postby ssrythm » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:49 pm

I can't give you an exact date, but Jerry had some killer Row Jimmy solos that seem to fit what you are asking for. The greatest out of body floating to the solo I experienced in person was JGB Hampton Fall 1993 (I think) Shining Star. BTW, I had an old casette with that that I proposed to my wife to. If anyone has it in a downloadable format, PLEASE let me know!
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby Shaggy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:43 am

10 Great studio solos by Jerry to study:

Deal - Garcia
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo - Wake of the Flood.
Help On The Way/Slipknot - Blues For Allah
Might As Well - Reflections
Tore Up Over You - Reflections
I'll Take A Melody - Reflections
Comes A Time - Reflections
Cats Under The Stars - Cats Under The Stars
Gomorrah - Cats Under The Stars
Hell In A Bucket - Touch Of Grey

and finally on acoustic guitar try having a close listen to what he was doing on:

Uncle Johns Band - Workingmans Dead
Russian Lullaby - Compliments Of Garcia
Midnight Getaway - Run For The Roses
Grateful Dawg - Grateful Dawg
16/16 - So What
Shaggy

Postby b weird » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:15 am

The Catfish John from the remastered Terripen Station album is a good sizzling song that follow the chord progression.
b weird

Next

Return to The Think Tank