Digital Delay

Digital Delay

Postby BayAreaBB » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:12 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation on digital delays? Rack or pedal. I have a fairly dated ADA 2FX that doesn't seem to be doing it for me. Was the ADA still being used in 93-95?

Thanks,
BLB
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby whitelacestrange » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:34 pm

heh, i got one for christmas but i've only used it like 3 times.

i gotta start practicing with it, im just not really into it.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby nedcat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:56 pm

I use an Ibanez rackmount style and I think it comes in very handy. You can tweak it for perfect bounceback for different size rooms, etc. However, I really like the Boss Pedal. It does a shidtload for a floorbug and costs less than rackmount. Newer and better stuff coming out all the time.
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Re: Digital Delay

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:58 pm

BayAreaBB wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on digital delays? Rack or pedal. I have a fairly dated ADA 2FX that doesn't seem to be doing it for me. Was the ADA still being used in 93-95?

Thanks,
BLB

jerry did use the ada 2fx 93-95, only his was moddded so that the delay time and regen were both controlled by ernie ball volume pedals as expression pedals. if you look at the pic of his 90's rack @ dozin.com you will see both these potentiometers gone on his unit. i am sure it made this unit more versatile.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:19 pm

There's a 7/23/90 video with an extreme lingering close-up of three Boss FV-300L volume pedals. Not positive the Ernie Balls are gone, but perhaps he had swapped the EB's for these at some point in the late 80's or 1990... or these could be additional controls, I dunno. Maybe Blair will have it in his book.

My recommendation for digital pedals are the Line 6 Echo Park which does it all, very quiet, with tap-tempo and even a RAD sounding Backwards Tape setting! and there's the Boss Giga Delay, which was being used by Kadlecik of DSO last time I checked about a year ago.

Personally I love vintage analog delays by Ibanez and MXR.
tigerstrat

Postby eyeprod » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:13 am

no digital delay can match a good analog delay. trust me, plug into a deluxe memory man and hear the sound of lush analog bliss
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 am

eyeprod wrote:no digital delay can match a good analog delay. trust me, plug into a deluxe memory man and hear the sound of lush analog bliss

Ehhh, musicians will alway bash digital equipment.

Here is what I've owned:
IVP - SS preamp
UE400 - Analog multi-fx: comp, ts, phaser, chorus
SS Reverb unit
Tube reverb
Tube vibrato
POD XT (digital preamp, digital effects)
Combos: Twin, Mesa LoneStar, Hotrod deluxe, Stage 160 (solid state)

Okay, I've been around a decent amount of gear and I say this.

A good digital effect is better than an average analog effect. However, I have a tube rack unit with vibrato and reverb and it kicks the shit out of any other effect I have ever owned.

In my experience many analog effects are noisy and tone suckers while digital are quiet and no tone loss.

That said, digital preamps are better than solid state but tube preamps rock. Nothing like the warm, depth, natural compression and responsiveness of preamp tubes.

Poweramps in order: tube, mosvalve, regular solid state. To my ears (and the years of many musicians and sound guys) the difference between a tube poweramp and mosvalve were negligible in fact everyeone thought it was tube.

Here is another twist. Your tone is only as good as the quality of gear you use. So say you get the HC DMM which is a great unit. But you are plugging it between Gorrila amp and a startup guitar your tone will not be good.

Rearlly, tone is only as good as the weakest link the chain: guitar (strings, pots, pickups, jacks), cables, effects (batteries, good power), amp settings, tube bias, age of tubes, good power source from the wall... The list goes on...

And don't forget setttings....

What I'm getting at is don't rule out any gear until you hear it with your own ears and ensure you have quality gear in your chain.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:13 am

i like to run my mxr analog delay (short delay) thru my ada 2fx digital delay(long delay). :cool:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:21 pm

I have used tons of different delays over the years. I think something that is very important is having a tap tempo feature in the pedal so you can time it right on stage with the tempo of the song. It really does make a difference to the overall sound to sync it right. Out of time delays always sound off and artificial when I hear guitar players performing. I am currently using the T-Rex Replica. It is pricey, but it is absolutely phenomenal and it has a tap-tempo feature. Here is a link to the pedal on their webpage.

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/defaul ... ge&id=2325

Enjoy!
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby jahozer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:I have used tons of different delays over the years. I think something that is very important is having a tap tempo feature in the pedal so you can time it right on stage with the tempo of the song. It really does make a difference to the overall sound to sync it right. Out of time delays always sound off and artificial when I hear guitar players performing. I am currently using the T-Rex Replica. It is pricey, but it is absolutely phenomenal and it has a tap-tempo feature. Here is a link to the pedal on their webpage.

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/defaul ... ge&id=2325

Enjoy!

I absolutely agree. Tap is the only way to go. I don't think I could go back. I use a boss dd-5 and its just fine. Yes analog delays sound nice, but the dd-5 is so versatile, and really its not affecting your tone, but making a copy of it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Return to The Think Tank