The new Allman Brothers Band

Postby eyeprod » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:34 pm

i'd agree on the drugs! that's why i first started going to dead shows until i found out i liked the music too. i think most jambands HOPE they can pull off a good show with some impressive jamming, but i think that MOST of the bands in that vein don't have much originality in their jamming so i for one wouldn't pay extra to see some guys rehash what jerry bob and phil, or phish dudes did better. i'm incredibly bored with current jambands, and have been for years, it just took me awhile to realize it. check out some cool bands like ,the brought low or shame club. they sound retro with a strong americana vibe, but they ROCK!
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby squire758 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:35 am

eyeprod wrote:i'd agree on the drugs! that's why i first started going to dead shows until i found out i liked the music too. i think most jambands HOPE they can pull off a good show with some impressive jamming, but i think that MOST of the bands in that vein don't have much originality in their jamming so i for one wouldn't pay extra to see some guys rehash what jerry bob and phil, or phish dudes did better. i'm incredibly bored with current jambands, and have been for years, it just took me awhile to realize it. check out some cool bands like ,the brought low or shame club. they sound retro with a strong americana vibe, but they ROCK!

dude i totally agree, too many of the bands i see are trying to reinvent the wheel. it saddens me as a musician that the mmost famous acts in hollywood right now have the stupidest, most simple music. if what you listen to is the radio, then you probably haven't heard a guitar solo in like 6 years. So that small group of americans(comparitavely, by pop-culture statistics) who do appreciate the aspects of music that we do are used to a very different sound that alot of people latched on emotionally, so that when they write music, most of their feelings have been described vivdly by another song. They wind up emulating and never really developing their own unique voice. then the whole improvisation thing becomes a problem because of the shortage of fucking guitar heroes these days. i know kids who worship people like Michael Angelo Batio, and Yngwie Malmsteen. Yes, they are very skilled players. But what ever happened to players like Jimmy Page, Jerry Garcia, and fucking B.B. King who could capture a moment and really speak their own voice from the instrument? So in short I say to you: people have been marketed out of a state of true musical appreciation, and into a state of singing along to a catchy chorus. And the few who are left, can really only be as successful as their population because in the last 20 years it hasn't evolved with the current pop culture, therefore hindering it's potential marketing oppertunities.
squire758
Jester
Jester

Gov't Mule

Postby whitelacestrange » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:48 pm

i just bought warren haynes' side project Gov't Mule, and wow.
the cd fuckin rips, haynes is incredible, hes like as good as Duane, i cant wait for the show now.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

awesome show!

Postby whitelacestrange » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:49 pm

i just got home from it, derek trucks and warren haynes put on the best show i've ever atteneded. i was shocked at how muscial derek trucks is, great guitarist, just as good as hanynes, but together in the same band, man they were spectacualar. if anyone knows how i can get a recording of the show, 6/27/06, i know they sell their shows on the allman brothers site, but i couldnt find this one. i'd love to have it.

i definitly recomend seeing them, their great musicians, i was completely blown away.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Previous

Return to The Think Tank