The new Allman Brothers Band

The new Allman Brothers Band

Postby whitelacestrange » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:15 am

i'm seeing them on June 27th. i love them, but havn't heard them since Dickie Betts left the band.

anyone know if their still any good?
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

the new Almann Brothers Band

Postby nedcat » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Yeah, I saw them when Warren Haynes was plain' with them and it was tremendous. He is an awesome slide player much like Dwayne was....outstanding show from an outstanding band. I hope Warren is there when you see them! He might have other obligations with his band "Gov't Mule"
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby FretfulDave » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:59 pm

I have recenty heard some current live Allman Brothers music on Sirius radio with the lineup for this tour which includes Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes on guitars.

The music is plenty good.

As a boy,I started listening to them in 1970 with the Fillmore album. Followed them semi-regularly over the years. This version of the band is less country sounding and more similar to the early to mid Duane and Dickey era. At least as far as I hear it.

Warren is wonderful. Can't beat him. In any band, Phil and Friends, Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers... I would see him play with any one of these lineups and know it will be a good show.

I have seen and heard The Derek Trucks Band and though young, they are very talented and he is a force to be reckoned with. An excellent young guitarist.

I think your show should be very good.

Enjoy!

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby spilly » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Derek Trucks is a revalation, he's completly revitalized the band in the last few years. There going to new levels now, and I like it a bit more than with Betts. I love Dickey, but he didn't have the dynamic with Warren that Derek has.

enjoy, you'll have a great time
spilly
Bear
Bear

Postby Shaggy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:30 am

Dickey is a great guitar player. I lost interest in what they did when he left.

The true Allmans for me will always be the early days when Duane was around and him and Dickey were kicking ass.

I think it's clutching at straws a bit now. Nothing is new.
Shaggy

Postby WSPHead » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:55 am

Dickey didn't leave ABB, he was kicked out.
WSPHead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby steve » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:14 am

derek trucks is a decent player, dont get me wrong, but i'd hate to spend money to see him again. He came through Ithaca a few months back and charged $25 for about and hour and a half's worth of music. rip-off if you ask me..
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:51 am

I've seen ABB a few times since 1989, which may be the year Warren and Woody first joined. And I've also heard a little bit of some recordings of the most recent lineup. Every show I saw was incredible, but I have to say that the best (post-Duane/Berry) ABB I have heard is the circa 1999 lineup with Betts/D. Trucks/Burbridge. Betts is kinda key if you ask me, but I haven't actually experienced a show w/o him so, I guess I can't really say.
tigerstrat

Postby Nriggi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:06 pm

I saw the ABB last summer and walked away pleasantly surprised by the show. A high level of musicianship and energy was pouring off of the stage and the crowd loved every minute of it. Derek Trucks was hands-down the star of the show. I think he stole the spotlight from the first song. Personally, I love Trucks and am thankful that I payed 25$ to go see the DTB. When he gets back from his Clapton tour in Europe, DTB tickes might be slightly more expensive than 25$ haha.
Nriggi
welcome
welcome

Postby eyeprod » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:42 pm

most jambands are overpriced tickets. i can pay $5 for 3 bands, at least 2 of which are touring and working hard playing great original rock. or i could pay $12-$25 for one jamband or reggae act.

my favorite ABB is when allen woody was playing bass. i would think dickie betts is crucial to what i like about the allmans. i checked out a bit of derek trucks, but he wasn't doin it for me.
eyeprod
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby whitelacestrange » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:03 pm

well, either way i can't wait to see them. from the sound of things derek trucks and warren haynes are both great, though i really havnt heard them. from the little audio i found of the new line up i am a little more excitied, i have to admit i didnt expect much from them without Betts.

but thanks for the input, you've definitly raised my expectations.
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby st stephen » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:39 am

love the allmans, love dickey but derek is amazing probably one of the best slide giutar players around right now. saw them three times during there beacon run this year.....and it was the best i have seen the band in years. Get out and see them. i have never seen derek on his own without the brothers so i cannot comment on that. But when he is fronting the allmans they rock.
st stephen
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby HOWEYMAN » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:16 am

I've seen them 4 or 5 times with the new line up at the time. Eveytime, I kept thinking, man, am I glad these guys are playing together and keeping the great ABB music alive. I remember one show where they played "Instrumental Illness", (a great new tune of Hitten' the Note) and I was blown away. talent, talent talent. The Derek Trucks Band is some great music as well. Derek just simply has a great tone.
HOWEYMAN
HOWEYMAN
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby squire758 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:36 pm

eyeprod wrote:most jambands are overpriced tickets. i can pay $5 for 3 bands, at least 2 of which are touring and working hard playing great original rock. or i could pay $12-$25 for one jamband or reggae act.

my favorite ABB is when allen woody was playing bass. i would think dickie betts is crucial to what i like about the allmans. i checked out a bit of derek trucks, but he wasn't doin it for me.

i think people are willing to pay alot more for jam bands because you never know what your gunna get. going to see jam bands is always taking a chance. me being in a jam band myself, not all of our shows are good, but sometimes we'll play a remarkable set that shocks us all. the people who appreciate that concept are willing to pay a couple extra bucks, not to mention, all the jam band concerts are where the best drugs are-lets be honest with ourselves here
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby steve » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:02 pm

its not the price really that angered me, although it was kinda high. it was the fact that all i got for the money was just about an hour and a half's worth of music. weak..
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Next

Return to The Think Tank