Day Job?

Day Job?

Postby amyjared » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:08 pm

I was reading Box of Rain, the lyrics book, and it said that this song (Day Job) was removed due to fan requests. I originally liked the song but was bummed to hear it every other show. I was never quite sure of the sentiment behind it, was it tongue-in-cheek? Was it serious? Anyhow, I think fans wanted it gone because it was overplayed, not because it was a 'bad' song. What do folks think? And, who gives the fans a right to censor the songs? Doesn't that set a poor precedent? Thoughts?
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:56 pm

I will agree with the overplayed theory, but I have my own.

Fans wanted Jerry's ballads and a straight up rocker turned them off.

They had Bobby for rockers and too many fans downplay Bobby's role and the whole first set taboot.
strumminsix

Postby caspersvapors » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:01 pm

Ive never heard this song till now, kinda reminds me of Deal. Either way its kinda fresh
caspersvapors

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:55 pm

Personally, I like it! In fact, my friends make fun of me cuz I do but I don't care who knows!

I wasn't on tour in the 80s to get burnt out from it.
strumminsix

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:14 pm

i dont mind the song.

the dead didnt mind it either. like you all said (and like the setlists say) they played it time and time again.

i dont think that they shouldve stopped playing a song they like, just because the fanse didnt like it.

oh well, goes to show how highly the band thought of its fans.
phreaker

Postby Billbbill » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:59 pm

I kinda like the tune. Never gave too much thought to the lyrics.

I do think it was somewhat over played and in the circles I traveled in folks were especially bummed when it was played as an encore.

I think it also suffered as a first set closer as it would inevitably be compared to Deal and didn't/couldn't? have the same impact. Folks would certainly prefer Deal but often if Day Job closed the set, Deal likely closed the set one or two shows before or after.

"Ya can't please everyone, so..."
Billbbill

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:18 pm

I think it more closely resembles Might As Well a little bit, but I think the reason 80's hippies hated it is the possible interpetation of an implied message of "get a job", or "give up your dream". My 1st show was in '85 and I never saw it played live, would have loved a breakout of it, and I definitely like it better than several songs that came after.
tigerstrat

Postby wisedyes » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:35 am

My friend Nancy May actually had buttons made up that she handed out at shows that read " No More Dayjob!", and many times practically the entire first few rows had them on, it seemed like. I lots of shows in 84 and 85 and I got tired of hearing it. It also seemed like the hotter the show was, the more likely it was that Dayjob would be the encore.

Oddly enough, back then, whenever I would play tapes for my non-head friends, Dayjob would usually be their favorite song ( maybe because it meant the tape was over? ), so go figure.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Wow, I think you'd have to be pretty high to equate "keep your day job" to "get a job".

It was one of Jerry's few real rock tunes so it's no surprise if he played an exceptional show or a hot set he'd want to close it out with that.
strumminsix

Postby phreaker » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:35 pm

to keep one, you have to get one first.
phreaker

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:54 pm

strumminsix wrote:Wow, I think you'd have to be pretty high to equate "keep your day job" to "get a job".

It was one of Jerry's few real rock tunes so it's no surprise if he played an exceptional show or a hot set he'd want to close it out with that.

What's the big leap? "keep your day job (the shitty thing you HAVE to do) til your night job(your dream, the thing you WANT to do, that you WISH would pay your bills) pays"

And speakin of pretty high- I'd associate that more with thinking of Jerry as having only a "few real rock tunes" :lol:
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:09 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Wow, I think you'd have to be pretty high to equate "keep your day job" to "get a job".

What's the big leap? "keep your day job (the shitty thing you HAVE to do) til your night job(your dream, the thing you WANT to do, that you WISH would pay your bills) pays"

And speakin of pretty high- I'd associate that more with thinking of Jerry as having only a "few real rock tunes" :lol:

The leap is taking lyrcis to mean something that it doesn't. Don't quit your day job is like 50 years old and everyone knows it is more of an expression that is a putdown saying whatever you are doing that you think you are good at will not give you success.

Maybe I'm out of it since I'm sick today but name me some really rockin' tunes Jerry does.
strumminsix

Day Job

Postby otherones90210 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:17 pm

I have always liked this song. It never really struck me as a put down. It sends the message that whether you are rich or poor to still work the 8 hour day.

I think it would have been a better fit somewhere in the middle of a set than as the encore to close out the show.
There is more than what you see right in front of your face.
otherones90210
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Billbbill » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I've never even heard (may be/have been a bit out of the loop) of the notion that this song was a rip on ordinary folks. If intended, wouldn't it be a bit like biting the hand that feeds you?

It doesn't make any sense, and if it were intended that wouldn't speak very highly of Garcia or Hunter.

It seems more cautionary than anything else.

"never under rate the paycheck power"

It only makes sense to "keep your day job" until you can afford to live off your dream - especially if one has financial responsibilities.

Frankly, while of course everyone is free to live as they choose, I can remember seeing some pretty grungy ass heads who, if you ask me needed to FIND a day job and review where their fandom of the dead fit into their priorities.

But maybe that's just me. Who am I to question THEIR priorities.
Billbbill

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Exactly Bill, I didn't say it was a rip of any sort or that I took offense at the message or disagree with it- it's simple realism...

I won't get drawn farther into a debate about the meanings of songs that were written by a guy who has always maintained they were intended to have open-ended meanings and multiple interpetations, but I will take a mniute and name a few Jerry rockers that existed in or before DJ's era:

Franklin's
Casey Jones
Shakedown
Don't Ease
Bertha
Deal
Might As Well
Alabama Getaway
U.S. Blues
Big RxR Blues
China Cat
Scarlet Begonias