Jerry-Caster with the band

Place for the rest of the music

Jerry-Caster with the band

Postby milobender » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:35 am

Here's a link to the first recording of our band practice... :smile: :smile: :smile:

not a great recording (only the 5th time we've managed to practice), but you'll get the idea. Most of it is using the on-board screamer, and all thru the Champ amp with Real Tube Reverb and Ibanez AD202 for delay.

WE NEED KEYBOARDS! Anyone interested in moving to Wyoming :-) :smile: :-) We've got space to live in exchange for working with me on the house :-)

http://www.9mileskid.com/082608practice.html
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby pappypgh » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 am

Milo-
Pretty cool, man! One suggestion...

In "Deal" you are missing 2 chords...

Here's the progression:

A C#7 F#m A D F#dim
A F# B D
A C#7 F#m E D F#dim
A G D A G D A....

Great passing chords, but they're not really optional. Listen to every GD version you have...those chords are essential, IMO.

;)
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 am

Pappy are sure its the A 1 st and not the E ?
On the 87 Cali DVD it looks like E 1 st.
:?:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:03 am

pappypgh wrote:Milo-

Here's the progression:

A C#7 F#m A D F#dim
A F# B D
A C#7 F#m E D F#dim
A G D A G D A....

Great passing chords, but they're not really optional. Listen to every GD version you have...those chords are essential, IMO.

;)

100% correct on everything above.
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKtrz_fv ... re=related
1989 Dead
Looks like E to me
Hmmmmmmm ?
:lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby milobender » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks Pappy, I knew something was missing, but haven't sat down/taken the time to check it out. I'm really just going from memory, weak as that is :D I'll check out your progression later today.

TJ I'll check out the vid too... thanks for the link!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

ps I've got the Wolf inspired ax started finally! 15 layers in the body :D :D
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby pappypgh » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKtrz_fvmoc&feature=related
1989 Dead
Looks like E to me
Hmmmmmmm ?

You're blind, Jedi...look CLOSER. Jerry plays the A with 3 fingers, rather than a lazy barre, like I do. He uses his index, middle & ring finger to play the A on the 2nd fret and it's CLEARLY different fingering than the E on the 3rd line. PLUS - LISTEN to it. 2 distinct chords. I assure you, with 100% conviction, I'm right. :shock:
www.theCAUSEjams.com

"Once in awhile, you can get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right." - R. Hunter

"If we had any nerve at all, if we had any real balls as a society, or whatever you need, whatever quality you need, real character, we would make an effort to really address the wrongs in this society, righteously." - Jerry Garcia
pappypgh

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:39 am

He does the "lazy" barre A to do the A - why would he fret it different ?
Also a simple removal of the 4th fret F# note leaves a "A" barre at the second fret.Seems like too much work to fret the A with that other fingering.@ the 28 sec mark.
Maybe we are talking partial chords here ?
I knew I should have a guitar handy here at work.

:cool:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 am

Jerry usually played the A "barre"(a misnomer because an open chord has no "barre") with 3 fingers iirc, but I can't for the life of me (unless maybe I watch a vid) figure out how he did that AND play the Deal intro figure on 5th & 6th strings.

Another oddity (to me) is that on actual "A form" barred chords, like B or D for example, he barred with his index and fretted the other notes with his pinky... mine just ain't that strong.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby milobender » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 am

Well, since war seems to be looming :shock: I had to check out the vid and see what I was doing... usually I've been skipping the passing chord in the first half of the verse, and putting in an A instead of an E in the second half... (I didn't go back and listen the the practice recording... may have been consistantly f**king things up that night :D trying to listen to the bass and forgetting what I was doing :D :D ) In the vid it certainly seems to be E, which sounds wierd to me, probably just because of my habitual A in there, but I think TJ may have it, it may be partials there... even if the fingering is the full chord. More practice! :smile:
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am

One bass guy I jam with says "I'm taking his space/riffs" right there....
He babbles about some walkdown thing he does ...
Jerry ( and Pappy ) might be doing "A" right there but it seems strange that he doesnt use the same fingering as when he he hits the 1st "A" - which he slides into.
But truly Pappy knows of what he speaks so maybe I will take his advice.
MAYBE.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jonarobb » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:43 pm

pappypgh wrote:Milo-

Here's the progression:

A C#7 F#m A D F#dim
A F# B D
A C#7 F#m E D F#dim
A G D A G D A....

;)

The E chord is wrong. Jerry's never played an E chord there, and unfortunately never will. It's been an A7 from 1971 to 1995. Garcia grips it as an open A7 and just plays the leading note which is an E as he's walking down from the F#m. Phil will sometimes and often does the exact same thing, or a perfect third higher.

Additionally, the F#dim is incorrectly ID'd. It should read D#dim. Essentially the same chord but since its the chromatic passing chord from the D7 it should be labeled accordingly.

Hey Milobender, very cool take on High Heeled Sneakers. Sounds great! One of my favorites to play with my band.
jonarobb

Postby waldo041 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:54 pm

no E chord just an open A7. imo, he also lifts the the C# note in the C#7 chord and lands on the G# note just before the F# chord. since he's finger pickin it, it comes off as a nice passing note with the rest of the C#7 chord he's plucking.

like this.

E|--------------
B|-----2--2--2--
G|-----4--4--4--
D|--------------
A|--4-----------
E|--------4--4--

could be wrong though, but i hear and think i also see it.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Emoto » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 am

jonarobb wrote:
The E chord is wrong. Jerry's never played an E chord there, and unfortunately never will. It's been an A7 from 1971 to 1995. Garcia grips it as an open A7 and just plays the leading note which is an E as he's walking down from the F#m. Phil will sometimes and often does the exact same thing, or a perfect third higher.

Additionally, the F#dim is incorrectly ID'd. It should read D#dim. Essentially the same chord but since its the chromatic passing chord from the D7 it should be labeled accordingly.

Hey Milobender, very cool take on High Heeled Sneakers. Sounds great! One of my favorites to play with my band.

What a relief. I am SO glad you chimed in. I've never played Deal in a band setting, but have been playing it on my own since sometime in the 1970s (which doesn't mean I was correct) and have been playing it as you describe. I read this thread the other day and was really scratching my head about it.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby pappypgh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 am

:roll:
You're wrong. He clearly plays the E on the 3rd line. Sorry. Watched it about 10 times now - and went through this same argument about 15 years ago (from YOUR side) and it was proven to ME at the time. LISTEN.

He plays the A with 3 fingers as the "passing chord". He uses 1 finger at the beginning of the song, so he can play the riff. That is proper form on playing an open A. Take a guitar lesson. You'll find I'm right.

I will have this argument all day on this song. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN. There are 2 distinctly different chords on those 2 lines. The first is an A, the second is an E. You can ask Dozin to ask Bob or whatever you wanna do. I hate to sound like a prick-know-it-all, but in THIS case...I'm 100% correct.
www.theCAUSEjams.com

pappypgh

Next

Return to Tune Submissions