New tune I wrote

Place for the rest of the music

New tune I wrote

Postby playingdead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:50 am

Just getting started recording some original material at home for ... and just bought a cheap Samsung HD mini camera, so I shot footage during the various takes as I played all the instruments on the track. Wrote this last week and recorded it Monday. It's pretty far from anything that sounds like a Grateful Dead tune ... but I get lots of that with Playing Dead anyway. Be kind ... I'm not a very good drummer, bass player or keyboard player. :shock:

playingdead

Re: New tune I wrote

Postby jester536 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 am

No apologies necessary...you play bass, drums and keys better than I play guitar. Wouldn't mind hearing a nice guitar solo in that...some soft, over-driven guitar might be really nice. Your voice sounds really good too. Doing the whole thing is really amazing...and I think most of us know that writing lyrics is no easy task. Nice job man...Keep 'em coming! (Perhaps a tip of the hat to Lowell George with the line about the people you meet up with on your way back down?)
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby jackr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:08 am

i liked it very much. I see that you are a right handed drummer!
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 am

Seriously dig it Vic. You are going down the right road here... You are a fine musician that should be making stuff like this along with recreating top notch Jerry. It is sometimes amazing how I feel it is easier to mimic Jerry than to write my own material, but getting at it is the hardest part. You did great on all the backing instruments, you should get some more of this together.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby playingdead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks, gents ... I have about 30 tunes I've written in the past year (when I started seriously trying to write), trying to get 'em down to the 12 or so strongest ones.

Actually, I am mostly right-handed ... I swing a bat, throw a ball, kick a football etc., righty, my right hand is my stronger hand. I think that helps since most of the strength and dexterity you need for playing guitar is not in your picking hand. However, I do write left-handed, so who knows?
playingdead

Postby keirweir » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:58 am

Fantastic stuff Vic!
Your original singing voice and song reminds me of Ryan Adams in a way.
Keep them coming!
keirweir

Postby vwjodyme » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:44 am

Wow Awesome stuff! Sign me up for a cd if you ever release anything :cool:
vwjodyme

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 am

Nice Vic I like it!
jdsmodulus

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:53 am

I believe they call that ambidextrous... A strange adaptation in your evolutionary genetic/environmental makeup. Also a great excuse to tell your wife you have to use custom made guitars... "Honey, they just don't make Lefty's worth a damn, its not my fault I'm left handed!" :lol:

How has your project in Austin coming? That is a pretty good town to get original material recognition.....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Octal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:57 am

Something about it reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot. Not sure why, as I'm not even that familiar with his music.
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Bear62 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 am

Great Stuff Vic. Just keep on being you! This music feels like you are in a really comfy space. Your voice and playing shine on w/ confidence!

Gregg
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby rugger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am

Vic,

I'll give you some constructive criticism since others are just patting your back--albeit deservedly so, it's a nice effort (and that statement is not a knock in any way).

Two things: It's 2 minutes too long, and it needs a change of some sort. If not a true chorus, a middle eight...or if you don't want to change the structure of the song, build up more layers of instruments as the song progresses. The end sounds like the middle, which sounds like the beginning. As nice as it is, it's just too much of it.

I like the video and I hope you keep posting your stuff. It's nice to have some fresh material on the board.

John in San Diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby playingdead » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks for the encouragement and critiques. I have stepped out in front of 2,000 people to play Grateful Dead music without blinking an eye, but it's terrifying to post original music online. I will probably pass out before the first gig. LOL

It's funny, almost every song I've written has a more traditional song structure -- verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, guitar solo, verse, chorus. This particular tune I consciously stepped outside of that structure and did it as more of a narrative -- along the lines of, say, Positively Fourth Street, not that I would dare compare my writing to Dylan's. It's also very much based on real events.

Austin's a weird place, lots of indie bands down here, younger guys, 5 bands a night at clubs that pay nothing. But I have met some people who are talented and appreciative of the Dead, and while much of what I am writing is not very Dead-like, I do want that sort of musical conversation sensibility to it, so I'm working with a bass player and a drummer now putting together an acoustic-based thing, might add a keyboard player if it starts to gel. Some gig opportunities later this summer, as well.
playingdead

Postby USBLUES » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am

VIC i love that fingerpicking, good hook and a mellow groove ! :cool: Keep em coming
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jkstraw » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Really well done tune Vic. Trust in your natural abilities to get over the nerves - i'd give my middle finger to have the ear and eye you have buddy (that's a nod to your video composition as week).

Keep on picking' and grinnin' your more of pro than you think.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Next

Return to Tune Submissions