Otis Lotus at GA BLUE EASTERAMMA

Place for the rest of the music

Otis Lotus at GA BLUE EASTERAMMA

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Whats up kind people... I finally got some of our music up on the archive and thought I would share. You can throw tomatoes, critique, say you like it or say you don't, or just ignore it. We really do appreciate feedback from the guys that KNOW the music... Peace and bunnies, JB

Oh, it was the first time we played Jack Straw, and the key players 3rd show with us, be kind in that regard.

http://www.archive.org/details/OtisLoutsAtGeorgiaBlue42311
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Re: Otis Lotus at GA BLUE EASTERAMMA

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:38 am

Sounds great bro
Love the vocals - geetar has a great sound and love the restraint shown by da player ( JB ? )
Your Jack Straw makes me think I do this number to fast
Had to be a good gig if you had to ask the crowd to back off !
One question though -
Who is Otis Louts ?
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:00 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Sounds great bro
Love the vocals - geetar has a great sound and love the restraint shown by da player ( JB ? )
Your Jack Straw makes me think I do this number to fast
Had to be a good gig if you had to ask the crowd to back off !
One question though -
Who is Otis Louts ?
:-)

That reminds me of, "By the way, which one's Pink?" from the Pink Floyd song "Have a Cigar" :lol: ... Thanks TJ, we are really trying hard, this is a relatively new project, but have been preparing for years I guess... We are a 4 piece now, Keys, guitar, bass and drums. The Drummer does most of the vocals and I am the only guitar and secondary singer, but still only sing a few. The bass player sings one too, Big Boss Man. We are not as thorough sonically as some of the full tribute bands, but its the only Dead you can get around here at the moment! We are having gobs of fun. We did Jack Straw kinda slow cuz it was the first time we did it live. THANKS TJ!!
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Nice stuff Jonnyboy! Great guitar playing & tone. Are you using the SMS --> Mac?
tcsned

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks tcsned!! Yes my new Wolfbud--> SMS-->MC100-->JBL E120 2x12 cab. I added a touch of bass by accident cuz I used it as an acoustic rig earlier in the night, which went REALLY WELL. I mixed it with an acoustic preamp to the board/mains 60% and 40% SMS for stage volume which was also overall volume too. It sounded great as an acoustic rig, if you like that older acoustic tone. The plastic sounding acoustic Piezo stuff gets on my nerves, I just don't like that tone. For some reason that plastic tone is what LOTS of the players are using at the open mics/jams around here, just not my bag baby.

Thanks tcsned, I appreciate the kind words. I think we may be picking up a bobby player mid May too... but I won't hold my breath, those are big shoes to fill IMO. A good bobby can make you, and a bad bobby can break you, we'll see. This guy is really good, but normally a lead player so I dunno if he will like playing rhythm, like I said we'll see. This was my first band post at Archive so I thought I would share. I will here post again in 6 months and see where we're at then!! Thanks guys, I really do appreciate feedback especially if I can get better from it, it doesn't hurt my feelings if anyone has something constructive to add... :smile:
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:14 pm

I've got no criticism - I thought the singer was great, your playing was really cool - a little hard to hear the bass and keys on my laptop. I listened to Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, and some of Shakedown. My tubes in my intarwebs are a little clogged today and things are running slow for downloading. Once they're running better I'll listen to more (barring my kids grubby hands getting all over my computer).

What kind of acoustic pickup are you using? Are you using a piezo or something else? I'll have to try the SMS with my acoustic - I have a really nice Scherlter acoustic amp but it's a pain to bring another amp to a gig and deal with those hassles. I forced myself to get used to being mic'ed at all-acoustic gigs, sometimes use pickup for monitors if the crowd gets rowdy and loud. You don't get a lot of your sound right in your face but much more natural out front. A lot of folks just go with what they've got on their guitar, which is usually a piezo (one reason why I don't like guitars that come with a built-in pickup and on-board controls. Makes it hard to upgrade without leaving a big hole on the side of your guitar.

I agree about a rhythm player. Bobby's such a unique player it's hard for a guy used to banging out power chords to get a handle on his playing. Doesn't have to be a Wier clone but someone who's not looking to play a bunch of root/5 chords - guys with a piano background can work well. We have a "Bobbi" - she doesn't really play a lot like Wier but she grew up with piano and never really learned the typical guitar tricks. She's got a good ear and a good theory background, she sometimes goes a little too far off the reservation - maybe her most Wier-like trait :lol: But with keys you can get around having another guitar. We need to get another full-time keyboardist - we've got some really talented friends who come out when we have a big show but having someone regular would be nice.
tcsned

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:35 pm

I was thinking the bass and especially the keys were low. We don't have a FOH sound person so sometimes we have no clue whats going on out FOH . Or drummers wife is helping the best she can by making sure we are at good levels and not too loud, but otherwise the tweaking is lacking. I am happy we even have that little bit of help though. I think my vocals could be boosted some on US blues and West LA and Jack Straw. It is good to hear what is going on so we can learn from what we are actually playing.

The SMS Acoustic is not like an acoustic amp or something you would use instead of a killer acoustic system, but if you don't have one, it really makes it possible to have a good acoustic tone. The best of coarse is close condenser mic'ng, but the piezo pickup in mine I can get more definition through the SMS as opposed to the thin plastic piezo sound going direct to the mains. I still use that direct tone through an acoustic preamp but split into the SMS for a stage volume accounting for about 40% of my sound. It fills it out nicely. I really like it. I think it could sound good in the right room alone even. Just don't want it to get muddy, I used my bass around 3-4 with it. Give it a try, I think the piezo helps the SMS sound more acoustic though as opposed to a hole pickup. I dunno.
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Jonnyboy - I am also listening through tiny laptop speakers so take that with a grain of salt. Also, mics don't always pick up the lows in room real accurately.
tcsned

Postby Octal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:03 pm

I love the slow Jack Straw--the voice of who ever starts singing at around 3:50 "ain't no place a man can hide shannon" sounds like Phil to me. It's got the nice slowness of early Jack Straw yet the solos are more exciting as they were later on.

This wasn't recorded all on one night, was it? Or are you missing songs?
Octal
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Nice!! Hey, give a 3db boost at 200hz and see if that doesn't help the bass!

In my experience that helps the low end but away from the guitars and not muddy, ymmv.

Also, you can fly me down on most Thursdays for Friday gigs :D
strumminsix

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:13 pm

strumminsix wrote:Nice!! Hey, give a 3db boost at 200hz and see if that doesn't help the bass!

In my experience that helps the low end but away from the guitars and not muddy, ymmv.

Right ON! That's what we need to do... First let us get some gigs that can afford a travel budget!! otherwise you may have to take the train econo class. :lol:

I will try the bass Idea, He hates to sound muddy,and is always up for new ideas!! Thanks.
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Nice!! Hey, give a 3db boost at 200hz and see if that doesn't help the bass!

Right ON! That's what we need to do... First let us get some gigs that can afford a travel budget!! otherwise you may have to take the train econo class. :lol:

I will try the bass Idea, He hates to sound muddy,and is always up for new ideas!! Thanks.

Mud is more around the 400hz frequency oh and :lol:
strumminsix

Return to Tune Submissions