Our Bassist & Junior Wells- I just found this on YouTube

Place for the rest of the music

Our Bassist & Junior Wells- I just found this on YouTube

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm

I just found this gem on YouTube - it's Junior Wells last recording before he died. Our bassist, Steve or Slash as he's affectionately known played bass on this session. We had just started playing music together in a band called Picasso's Fish (we played a lot of gypsy jazz and Dawg music). We had a gig the day he flew to Chicago - we had to get a sit-in to play bass. The gig was a disaster, the other bass player didn't really hang very well and I think we made like $30 to split 4 ways. As I told him at the time, "You douchebag, you blow off a gig where you could've made $7.50 to get paid to fly to Chicago and record with Junior Wells! How could you?!?!?" :lol: Anyway, it was for House of Blues Records - Bob Margolin, the guitarist he played with on the road for 15 years or so was hired to play and get a band to back Junior. The drew "Satisfaction." I own the P-Bass he played on the recording. He started playing in The Kind a few months later. Pretty cool!
tcsned

Re: Our Bassist & Junior Wells- I just found this on YouTube

Postby amyjared » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 am

That's cool! I used to have a copy of this Stones "tribute" album, but have lost it. Y'know everyone I know from Blacksburg knows Bob Margolin. Is he from there or did he live there for awhile??
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Re: Our Bassist & Junior Wells- I just found this on YouTube

Postby tcsned » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 pm

amyjared wrote:That's cool! I used to have a copy of this Stones "tribute" album, but have lost it. Y'know everyone I know from Blacksburg knows Bob Margolin. Is he from there or did he live there for awhile??

He lived here for a handful of years. Steve or Slash our bass player came to B-burg with him. He used to do a "jam with Bob" night every week (and once let me play his '58 Strat that George Harrison played at a Muddy show. His bassist wore a "Steal Your Face" hat - so we started talking and became friends and started playing together. Bob's in NC now - he's a great player and worth checking out if he comes to the area. Steve did a lot of session work in Chicago for those old blues guys because he would play it simple and in a pocket wide enough to drive a semi through. He told me he was lucky he wasn't getting paid by the note!

The version of Honky Tonk Women on that CD by Taj Mahal is really cool too.
tcsned

Return to Tune Submissions