Best GD cover band I have ever seen, anywhere

Place for the rest of the music

Re: Best GD cover band I have ever seen, anywhere

Postby tcsned » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:58 pm

strumminsix wrote:IMO, the studio stuff tells ya WHAT to do but the live stuff tells ya HOW to do it!

I call it rehearsal, practice is what you do on your own time.

+1 on both comments
tcsned

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 am

+2 good way to put it, S6. I don't find myself referring to the studio stuff too often but Phil's really easy to hear live. I could see it being helpful for guitars.

There's not much more frustrating than hearing "I didn't have time to listen to it". :?
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Charlie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Overall I find Dead music pretty complex to play compared to your average bar band repertoire but realistically, if you've been playing essentially the same repertoire live for 16 years or longer, you should have it nailed. I wouldn't think the guys who've been doing it that long would need to rehearse much.
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Postby mttourpro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 am

Wow----interesting thread....didn't see it before now, but definitely covers some ground!

Wicky---I noticed Brad Rhea is your bass player. I've wondered whatever happened to him. Haven't seen him for a while and apparantly he moved from Western Pa----anyhoo, I used to sit in, maybe a dozen times, with his old band Grinning Mob and have known him a long time. He used to look a LOT different back then!

If you see him/talk to him tell him Mike Tony says hi!
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:31 am

I loved the Grinning Mob! Great band! I figured there was an Rukind connection! My good friend ChrisP from Asheville turned me on to them years ago! They got a Relix wirte up I believe. :cool:
jdsmodulus

Postby Wicky King » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 am

Will do, Mike!
Wicky King
bruce
bruce

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 am

Tourpro jammed with Moses back in the day
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

I came to read what TJ was writing, I can tell he in funny mode today! Moses? the guy with the killer Burning Bush Overdrive pedal? :smile:
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby mttourpro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:54 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Tourpro jammed with Moses back in the day
:D

Close to truth. I know a guy named Moses who's friends of a friend who often sits in with us. I believe Moses plays flute and guitar.

The funny thing, is she now dates a guy named Soul. They oughtta get together and they could have a band called Moses' Soul. :-)

Go ahead TJ--it's all yours if you like it! Since you kind of inspired it anyways. :D
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby jpzias » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 am

seamones wrote:
Wicky King wrote:No affiliation, got dragged there on a Tuesday by a buddy who knows one of. Deal is they live in different parts of the country and play like 3/4 times a year in different cities when they can work it in with the logistics of their other bands, so they don't rehearse or anything, which is kind of wild. In terms of DSO or Furthur, I've seen them, from what I saw and heard, Kadlicek and Matson are not in this lead guitarist's league, nor is the DSO drummer or bass player at the level of this rhythm section, just my opinion, of course.

So after watching a couple of the clips, yes these are guys are very good. But your comments in regards to Mattsons and Kadelcik's relative ability and tone are ridiculous.

Just for frame of reference, how old are you? What's your instrument? How long you been playin?

I was doing a google search to find The Other One from our recent Mexicali gig, and happened upon this site and thread. I would agree that Jon took a bizarre approach to give the band some exposure, but that said, I found many of the comments interesting. Of course that approach is destined to get you greeted with antipathy by many right off the bat.

First I'll answer the above poster. I am the lead guitarist, I'm 57 years old, and I've been playing since 1962. I saw my first GD show on 5/5/68 which is I believe, before JK was born. I formed my first Dead cover band Cavalry, in 1969 in Bergen County NJ. From 1969-71 we played many shows with our sister band Cheyenne, led by Van Manakas which specialized in Quicksilver covers and originals. From 1973-1999 I did not play GD music as a professional musician until I got a call from Phil in late '99 after he heard a tape of my playing. That's another story, and it went well musically in spite of the end result. The Electricians were the product of some jams held in Tampa At Skipper's Smokehouse from 2006-2009. After some gigs with TC in '08 in Chicago and Michigan, we decided that the chemistry was worth pursuing in spite of the geographic issues. Our commonality was GD music with the emphasis on improvisation, where we are able to bring in all kinds of influences.

The Electricians are not a tribute band. Ultimately they will not be primarily a GD cover band either, so beyond the obvious, I'm not sure that we fit the paradigm for these comparisons. As Victor (Playing Dead) mentioned, I was in Uncle John's Band Tampa from 2002-2010. As much fun as we had at times, there was always a bit of a disconnect between what I was looking for and that which most of the other members were seeking. I wanted to use the GD "approach" as a springboard, and they wanted to be a tribute band. There was always an inference that I should be more "Jerry" and less "Jazz" which confused me at first. (I thought they'd embrace that more). The GD ethos to me was about finding something, not some neo-conservative attempt at recreation. Anyway, I was in the minority. Soon after I got a call to join the Roy Jay Band (which has The Electricians drummer and bassist,and tours nationally,) I left UJB.

As for the standard bearers like DSO and The Tricksters, they serve a very different purpose and do it admirably. They've chosen to tribute the GD experience for many who couldn't see the GD. That's a good thing. As for JK and Mattson as players, they do what they do very well. Celebrating the great contribution of Jerry. Obviously I tip my hat a lot to the big guy as well, but it's a point of departure. My GD experience is probably pretty different than most, as I saw most of my shows from 68-74 and my Jerry influence is 95% from that. Most of these players do a good job with late period (post-'80) Garcia, with the emphasis more on Americana than Psychedelia, (at least from what I've heard). I really don't see us pursuing similar goals, though it may seem that way superficially.

I'm not sure that this indulgent rant will be received any better than Mr. Ezrine's "stealth fan" posts. Whenever you try to separate yourself from the consensus of what playing GD music is supposed to be, you can get in trouble. We're just a bunch of veteran cats (spare young Mr. Rhea), who all love the GD music and want to play, just like most of you here. The way we all do it is up to us.
jpzias
welcome
welcome

Postby jpzias » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 am

rugger wrote:Checked out the Dark Star clip. Good band. Best ever? Sounds like the hubris of youth.

I have to say that it's refreshing not seeing a collection of overweight, balding dudes in tie dyes :-)

John in San Diego

LOLOL!!!!!!!

57,54,50,43,36! The hubris of relative youth!!!
jpzias
welcome
welcome

Postby seamones » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 am

jpzias wrote:
seamones wrote:
Wicky King wrote:No affiliation, got dragged there on a Tuesday by a buddy who knows one of. Deal is they live in different parts of the country and play like 3/4 times a year in different cities when they can work it in with the logistics of their other bands, so they don't rehearse or anything, which is kind of wild. In terms of DSO or Furthur, I've seen them, from what I saw and heard, Kadlicek and Matson are not in this lead guitarist's league, nor is the DSO drummer or bass player at the level of this rhythm section, just my opinion, of course.

So after watching a couple of the clips, yes these are guys are very good. But your comments in regards to Mattsons and Kadelcik's relative ability and tone are ridiculous.

Just for frame of reference, how old are you? What's your instrument? How long you been playin?

I was doing a google search to find The Other One from our recent Mexicali gig, and happened upon this site and thread. I would agree that Jon took a bizarre approach to give the band some exposure, but that said, I found many of the comments interesting. Of course that approach is destined to get you greeted with antipathy by many right off the bat.

First I'll answer the above poster. I am the lead guitarist, I'm 57 years old, and I've been playing since 1962. I saw my first GD show on 5/5/68 which is I believe, before JK was born. I formed my first Dead cover band Cavalry, in 1969 in Bergen County NJ. From 1969-71 we played many shows with our sister band Cheyenne, led by Van Manakas which specialized in Quicksilver covers and originals. From 1973-1999 I did not play GD music as a professional musician until I got a call from Phil in late '99 after he heard a tape of my playing. That's another story, and it went well musically in spite of the end result. The Electricians were the product of some jams held in Tampa At Skipper's Smokehouse from 2006-2009. After some gigs with TC in '08 in Chicago and Michigan, we decided that the chemistry was worth pursuing in spite of the geographic issues. Our commonality was GD music with the emphasis on improvisation, where we are able to bring in all kinds of influences.

The Electricians are not a tribute band. Ultimately they will not be primarily a GD cover band either, so beyond the obvious, I'm not sure that we fit the paradigm for these comparisons. As Victor (Playing Dead) mentioned, I was in Uncle John's Band Tampa from 2002-2010. As much fun as we had at times, there was always a bit of a disconnect between what I was looking for and that which most of the other members were seeking. I wanted to use the GD "approach" as a springboard, and they wanted to be a tribute band. There was always an inference that I should be more "Jerry" and less "Jazz" which confused me at first. (I thought they'd embrace that more). The GD ethos to me was about finding something, not some neo-conservative attempt at recreation. Anyway, I was in the minority. Soon after I got a call to join the Roy Jay Band (which has The Electricians drummer and bassist,and tours nationally,) I left UJB.

As for the standard bearers like DSO and The Tricksters, they serve a very different purpose and do it admirably. They've chosen to tribute the GD experience for many who couldn't see the GD. That's a good thing. As for JK and Mattson as players, they do what they do very well. Celebrating the great contribution of Jerry. Obviously I tip my hat a lot to the big guy as well, but it's a point of departure. My GD experience is probably pretty different than most, as I saw most of my shows from 68-74 and my Jerry influence is 95% from that. Most of these players do a good job with late period (post-'80) Garcia, with the emphasis more on Americana than Psychedelia, (at least from what I've heard). I really don't see us pursuing similar goals, though it may seem that way superficially.

I'm not sure that this indulgent rant will be received any better than Mr. Ezrine's "stealth fan" posts. Whenever you try to separate yourself from the consensus of what playing GD music is supposed to be, you can get in trouble. We're just a bunch of veteran cats (spare young Mr. Rhea), who all love the GD music and want to play, just like most of you here. The way we all do it is up to us.

Welcome to the discussion. I asked Wicky those questions in order to help us all get a frame of reference on his statements. But thanks for sharing your resume, indeed impressive.

If I am reading you right, you're saying that you are basically in a different 'sport,' i.e different goals, than the aforementioned others - I think you'll many folks in that same game on this board.

Lastly, Yo Bergen County! Unemployment Rock (Ramapo Mtn), AB&G, Harrimann, police - my roots as well.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

seamones wrote:
jpzias wrote:
seamones wrote:So after watching a couple of the clips, yes these are guys are very good. But your comments in regards to Mattsons and Kadelcik's relative ability and tone are ridiculous.

Welcome to the discussion. I asked Wicky those questions in order to help us all get a frame of reference on his statements. But thanks for sharing your resume, indeed impressive.

If I am reading you right, you're saying that you are basically in a different 'sport,' i.e different goals, than the aforementioned others - I think you'll many folks in that same game on this board.

Lastly, Yo Bergen County! Unemployment Rock (Ramapo Mtn), AB&G, Harrimann, police - my roots as well.

haha- WOW....another Bergen county homey!...I was Born at Englewood Hospital and spent the first 9 years of my life in Tenafly...
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby verbenco » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am

i am new to this forum and have not seen any GD "cover" bands. i do object to the term cover as it originally was used derogatorily for singers like pat boone who covered up songs by little richard and the accusation was made that it hurt the original artist. i don't pretend to know how all this plated out but still am not a fan of the word cover, at any rate i digressed. after watching this video for a few seconds i realized this band is indeed a great band and truly in the spirit of the Dead. if it were an exact copy one might be better off listening to a CD.

I don't know about "best" only because i have no basis of comparison but these guys are wonderful and i will now go back and listen again.
thank you for this video, i am quite old (60) and it is so good to hear people performing this music.
verbenco
rukind?
rukind?

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 am

jpzias wrote: Obviously I tip my hat a lot to the big guy as well, but it's a point of departure.

I'm not sure that this indulgent rant will be received any better than Mr. Ezrine's "stealth fan" posts.

Firstly, WELCOME!

Secondly, as the Bobby of my band I take a similar approach. There are some key BOBBYISMS that are required but there is alot of tangential territories to cover and even a significant amount of my own flair!
strumminsix

PreviousNext

Return to Tune Submissions