Other "Mutron III" artists???

Other "Mutron III" artists???

Postby Pete B. » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 am

Hey Gang,
Just wondering if anybody has any reccomendations for other players besides Jerry who have used the Mutron III?

I just saw an old MuTron III ad for a guy named Larry Coryell.
I have never heard his playing.
Can anyone reccomend a recording that shows off his MuTron III playing?
I saw a recent pic on his website and I see a MuTron III on the floor by his feet.
He is playing in Seattle next week, maybe I should check him out?

Basically looking for reccomendation for any specific songs and/or artists using the MuTron III.
I guess I'm thinking mainly for guitar, but any instrument would be fine.

cool,
pete b.
Pete B.

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 am

Never having heard Larry Coryell before, you can add to your list of universes every guitarist should explore! Brilliant musician- can't remember having heard him through an EF before.

Pre-emptive mention of that fellow from The New Bohemians...Stevie Wonder of course.

One of my favorite guitarists, Fareed Haque of Garaj Mahal uses the mini-Q.

oh yeah and Pete Townshend on "Goin' Mobile" in 1971!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby KCJones » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:46 am

Along with Larry Coryell, check out Lee Ritenour - same class of musician as Coryell; the best of the best. He uses an Mutron III on many tracks. Check out the song Caterpiller on the player on his website.

http://www.leeritenour.com/
Last edited by KCJones on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 am

So as far as the Mu-Tron III and guitarists specifically, we have Coryell and... hmmm.

Didn't Junior Marvin of The Wailers use an M3 on Babylon By Bus? Or maybe that was Al Anderson...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby KCJones » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:23 am

"Mu-Tron were used by musicians during the '70s, including Stevie Wonder, Larry Coryell, George Duke, George Benson, Lee Ritenour, Frank Zappa, Bootsy Collins, Jerry Garcia, Andy Summers, and many others...." http://www.beitec.com/articles/vintage/vintage1.html
[/img]
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby Pete B. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 pm

KC,
That article rocks.
So?... now I have to go out of my way to listen to some to 10cc, eh?
Pri-tee Trick-ee :o
Pete B.
Pete B.

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Edie Brickell song "What I Am" has a nice Mutron or Q tron solo in it. check it out
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:50 pm

SpaceYrface43 wrote:Edie Brickell song "What I Am" has a nice Mutron or Q tron solo in it. check it out
preempted!
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:39 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
SpaceYrface43 wrote:Edie Brickell song "What I Am" has a nice Mutron or Q tron solo in it. check it out
preempted!

who played that solo? :-)

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:31 am

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
preempted!

peace,
waldo

Kenny Withrow of the New Bohemians.

Do we know which EF he used? Not to my knowledge.
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:49 am

tigerstrat wrote:
waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
preempted!

peace,
waldo

sounds friggin killer. has to be a mutron!!!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby bucketorain » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:11 am

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
preempted!

peace,
waldo

sounds friggin killer. has to be a mutron!!!

peace,
waldo

A few weeks ago I emailed "The New Bohemians" they read my email but never responded to my question asking what envelope filter he was using.

but i did just find this posted somewhere:

It was not Jerry Garcia who did the solo, it was the guy from the Bohemians band using Jerry's signature "envelope Filter" guitar pedal, it's a WAH effect that gets more intense the harder you pluck the strings. Getcha facts straight before saying stuff like that...geeeez.
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:05 am

Was this a quote?:
It was not Jerry Garcia who did the solo, it was the guy from the Bohemians band using Jerry's signature "envelope Filter" guitar pedal, it's a WAH effect that gets more intense the harder you pluck the strings. Getcha facts straight before saying stuff like that...geeeez.

I remember when that song came out, there was some discussion like "was that Jerry?", a rumor which was fueled by the fact that Jerry and Edie recorded some tracks together about a year later.

I always thought as far as the tone went, it was pretty much spot-on, deep and chewy and delicious, but the solo itself is not that Jerry-like.... imho it more closely resembles someone like The Cars' Elliot Easton (brilliant soloist) playing through Jerry's effects.
tigerstrat

Postby bucketorain » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am

tigerstrat wrote:Was this a quote?:

I remember when that song came out, there was some discussion like "was that Jerry?", a rumor which was fueled by the fact that Jerry and Edie recorded some tracks together about a year later.

I always thought as far as the tone went, it was pretty much spot-on, deep and chewy and delicious, but the solo itself is not that Jerry-like.... imho it more closely resembles someone like The Cars' Elliot Easton (brilliant soloist) playing through Jerry's effects.

not a quote, i pulled it from this site:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive/20 ... 41377.aspx
YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GET STRANGER
www.otrpresents.ca
bucketorain
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:50 am

bucketorain wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Was this a quote?:

not a quote, i pulled it from this site:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive/20 ... 41377.aspx

Not to be a stickler for details, but I consider that a quote.

Couldn't even find what that poster was referencing but the original blogger also messed up crediting Mick Taylor's solo on Honky Tonk Women to Keith Richards
tigerstrat

Next

Return to other funky instruments