Anyone here play dobro?

Anyone here play dobro?

Postby chief ten beers » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 am

I've been playing guitar, mandolin,and bass for years but I recently picked up the dobro and am finding it a very unique and expressive instrument.wondering if anyone else here has tried their hand at at or currently plays? :smile:
chief ten beers
rukind?
rukind?

Postby mutant_dan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:07 am

Hey Chief,

I don't play dobro but I do play mandolin and guitar. There are a couple other bluegrass types hanging about. I haven't seen any dobro players hanging out. Looks like you are the first.

Where do you live?

Welcome aboard.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby chief ten beers » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:01 pm

mutant_dan wrote:Hey Chief,

I don't play dobro but I do play mandolin and guitar. There are a couple other bluegrass types hanging about. I haven't seen any dobro players hanging out. Looks like you are the first.

Where do you live?

Welcome aboard.
I live in ct.it really is surprising to me that dobro players are so rare,it's a very fun instrument to play and deserves a little more notice imo.I've been working on ripple on my dobro recently and it translates very well.
chief ten beers
rukind?
rukind?

Postby Banjomike0319 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Hey Cheif ten beers, I'm a banjo player, if your ever in Wisconsin look me up , I have a bluegrass band always looking for people to jam with.
Hey, how do you think jerry would feel about the world today???
Banjomike0319
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Anyone here play dobro?

Postby shakedown_04092 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:03 pm

chief ten beers wrote:I've been playing guitar, mandolin,and bass for years but I recently picked up the dobro and am finding it a very unique and expressive instrument.wondering if anyone else here has tried their hand at at or currently plays? :smile:

Don't play the dobro, but I love the name, man! Welcome! :cool:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby bobbybobbob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 pm

I play dorbo! Just throw that thing in some kind of open tuning and rip away!!!
bobbybobbob
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Billbbill » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:40 pm

I've never played one but I love that Skynyrd tune "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe". Always think of that tune when the dobro is mentioned.
Billbbill

Postby Henry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:25 am

I'm not really a dobro player like the Bluegrass guys, but I have a Tricone resonator guitar, which I prefer because it sounds somewhat sweeter, and play it horizontally with a Dobro bar. Some day I'd like to get a Weissenborn though, to me that's the best sound of all. I got lots of inspiration from David Lindley.
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Bluegrass Instruments