Strings - Who uses Elixers?

Re: Strings - Who uses Elixers?

Postby KCJones » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 pm

strumminsix wrote:I've been reading about their Nanowebs which supposedly sound and feel like regular steel strings.

What experiences does the collective here have?

They're like using a condom. They might last long and provide protection for your appendages with their silky texture, but something just doesn't feel right .....
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Postby keirweir » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 pm

KCJones wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I've been reading about their Nanowebs which supposedly sound and feel like regular steel strings.

What experiences does the collective here have?

They're like using a condom. They might last long and provide protection for your appendages with their silky texture, but something just doesn't feel right .....

I gotta say... I agree with all of the negative comments on the Nano webs (assuming they are being mistaken with the Polywebs).

Strummin.. Buy a set and try out the Nano's... Do it... do it.... go ahead.. do it
keirweir

Postby hogan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:26 pm

keirweir wrote:
I gotta say... I agree with all of the negative comments on the Nano webs (assuming they are being mistaken with the Polywebs).

Strummin.. Buy a set and try out the Nano's... Do it... do it.... go ahead.. do it

This thread has lost it's way. Page 2 is a photo negetive of page 1. Are the nano's any good?
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Pete B. » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Most music stores have brand new electric and acoustic guitars with Elixers on them.
Most folks can tell within a few seconds of playing wether they like them or not.
Don't be intimidated by the guys who hate them. Try 'em for yourself.
Pete B.

Postby Staemius » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Interesting to see so many nanoweb players. I've been using them for a year now - really like them. More expensive but last a good while. I switch them out once a month but that's just me.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby China Cat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 pm

i just tried DR coated. they're awesome. i have always really liked DR, but I sweat through them like no other so I never really used them until now. I like them a lot more than the elixir poly's and they are similar to elixir nano's but i like them a bit more right now.
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby strumminsix » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:29 am

China Cat wrote:i just tried DR coated. they're awesome. i have always really liked DR, but I sweat through them like no other so I never really used them until now. I like them a lot more than the elixir poly's and they are similar to elixir nano's but i like them a bit more right now.

How would you compare the coated DRs to Nanos?
strumminsix

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 am

I tried the coated DRs once and hated them.
my .02

Strummin, I will send a check for the $15 so you can try the Nano's!
keirweir

Postby Bear62 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:49 am

Don't bother Keir, Sox fans do not take hand outs! I like the Nano's and Reg. D'Addarios. Using DR Black box tight fits right now and the sound great. Do not like the all nickel DR Blues string. Tough time staying in tune. May try the DR coated some time. I am playing 11s right now and most likely will not drop down.
Bear62
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby strumminsix » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 am

keirweir wrote:I tried the coated DRs once and hated them.
my .02

Strummin, I will send a check for the $15 so you can try the Nano's!

Thanks for the review and offer! I'll have to pass but super nice of ya!

Bear62 wrote:Don't bother Keir, Sox fans do not take hand outs!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
strumminsix

Postby jackr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Normally I use pure nickels, either Gibson vintage or DR pure nickels.

But since all the talk of elixers I decided to try them. I had a couple of sets that elixer gave me to try a couple months ago but I have never made the effort to put them on. (it pays to be a dealer sometimes!)

Anyway I put a set of nanoweb acoustic strings on my breedlove and a set of nanoweb electric strings (10s) on my Les Paul.

I have to say it feels a little weird, kind of slimy but i got used to it fast. I give them a good test this weekend.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby tiffcheese » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 am

been using D'Addario EXP's for years, love 'em! They sound fantastic on my Ovation

http://store.daddario.com/category/1458 ... ight_12-53
tiffcheese

Postby Cmnaround » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 am

Was just in a new music store picking up a piano book for my kid, decided to pick up more standard Daddario 10's - asked the dude if he had pyramids - which apparently no one stocks - but he talked me into a pack of Elixir nanoweb 10-46. Then I read this thread - heh - well I'll put them on tonight and let ya know the outcome. Hopefully the coating doesn't dull my tone down - would be a wast of 13.50
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby rkubik » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I have only tried them for acoustic and I like them. For electric I prefer EB Slinky but I may give the nanos a shot next change over
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Mr.Burns » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Coated strings-gross!

I can't stand those things. I have a set I bought in 2005 and never strung. I wonder if they're stale yet? Used D'Adds for years-love the tone and feel, but frequent changes seem to be the norm. I guess it's a good thing they're relatively cheap...

Considered a new string to change things up, but I already know I don't like coated strings. So, since the biggest factor with un-coated strings seems to be personal preference, I wondered if a 24k gold string might hold up to corrosion and outperform coated strings tonally?

I suppose they would need to last three times as long to be cost effective, but these 24k strings aren't just for looks, are they?
Mr.Burns
Rosemary
Rosemary

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar