Weir Guitar Replicas?

Re: Weir Guitar Replicas?

Postby Scott Bardolf » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 am

I figured someone with your knowledge of Weir and Modulus guitars knew it was phenolic, was really just for other people reading the post. I've actually run into a problem mounting my neck onto the Casio, which I've done twice in the past with no problem. Three of the screws fit no problem, bottom left corner is not aligned and won't screw in, it's off by a good centimeter.

So question is, does the existing hole on the guitar need to be filled and re-drilled. Anyone know anybody in Tri-State area with a drill press that could do this type of work?
Scott Bardolf
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby broesau » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 am

I made a "Cowboyesque" guitar from a fake SG a friend got me in China. It was already a 3 pickup model so didn't really have to do any mods to the pu cavity. Used the same model pickups that come in the cowboy reissue. Dimarzio Virtual PAF (DP196 & 197 for neck & bridge respectfully) and Virtual Vintage 2.1 for middle. Had a guy here in Nashville wire it for me and it has individual volume for each pup, master tone and single/hum/phase switches. Doesn't get played enough, but with a pregnant wife and now a baby my free time is limited, let alone cranking up an amp. Here are some pics:

Before
5732_3.JPG
5732_3.JPG (50.99 KiB) Viewed 301 times

After
DSC00759 small.JPG
DSC00759 small.JPG (67.92 KiB) Viewed 301 times

I then got a pickguard and cut a hole in it for the single coil and got vintage gibson looking knobs - 3 vol. & 1 tone
IMG00124-20091011-1040.jpg
IMG00124-20091011-1040.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 301 times

I'm pretty proud of it and I probably have less that $600 invested. I don't condone buying knock-offs, but he didn't know any better.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby brutusbuck45 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Very cool! I love what you have done with it. I hear you about the pregger wife. Honestly.. enjoy this time now because when they get to be 7 and 4, like mine, you have even less time to play! No worries about the knock-off. But how is it? Body wood? Is it light? It looks great. I hope that I can finally find the right specimen to do something with, as well. I work eBay daily like its a second job, I swear.
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby WilliamC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey! Cool axe - I guess sometimes they don't quite get the whole intellectual property thing over there - Those pickup covers are hysterical!.

Don't worry about the kids - when mine was about 4 he absolutely LOVED Dire Wolf (we lived in Minneapolis and he could go see actual wolves at the Como Park Zoo) - it's a trip when your little kid belts out "I SAT DOWN TO MY SUPPER..."

Do not under any circumstances play The Monkey & The Engineer in front of a child under 8.
WilliamC
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Guitar