MXR Analog Delay - thoughts?

MXR Analog Delay - thoughts?

Postby strumminsix » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 pm

I have kept my eyes open for a delay for a good price. Well I've got a line on one for a fair price. It's a vintage MXR Analog Delay but I know very little about delays.

What are your thoughts on this model? I know Jerry used one. I'm thinking of using it for rhythm and accents and inversions more than solos.

Let me know please!
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:26 pm

just make sure the BBD chip is good. they are the rarest of the rarest. if not, it will have to be reworked to become a digital delay and then it becomes a different beast. if, however it is original and works, it is a pretty decent analog delay.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby hogan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Meh. I was in the same boat you're in a month ago. I had the oppertunity to play an MXR, Ibanez ad-80, Ibanez ad-99, Maxon ad-900, Ross stereo delay and an Atomic echo clone(which is a Aqua puss board in a different box). All played one after another on the same day, through my guitar and amp so it was a consistant and immeadiate comparison.
In order from worst to best:
Ross
ad-80 only because I'm sure it wasn't calibrated correctly
MXR
ibanez ad99
atomic echo
Maxon ad-900

Like I said, the mxr was no great shakes and in the shadow of the others mentioned by a longshot. Kind of noisy and underwhelming.
I went w/ the Maxon. It, to me was head and shoulders better than the rest. Transparent, no premature oscillation issues, tons of headroom and more than enough delay time than i'd ever need. It's not the cheapest of the bunch, but well worth it. If I had to purchase something other than the maxon it would have been the ibanez AD-99. Very cost effective and sounded nearly as transparent. The Atomic Echo is nice but way too much money. It's more of a collectors piece. YOu can get used Ibanez ad-99 for like a $140 these days, so that's not bad.

Good luck w/ it. ~MJH
hogan

Postby dre » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm

i don't have much experience with different delay pedals but I was thinking about getting a boss dd 6 for the reverse effect which is pretty tight. the pedal got some really nice reviews.. dunno how you feel about digital though.
dre
Donna
Donna

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:58 am

waldo041 wrote:just make sure the BBD chip is good. they are the rarest of the rarest. if not, it will have to be reworked to become a digital delay and then it becomes a different beast. if, however it is original and works, it is a pretty decent analog delay.

peace,
waldo

Waldo, How do I check the BBD chip?

hogan wrote:Meh. I was in the same boat you're in a month ago. I had the oppertunity to play an MXR, Ibanez ad-80, Ibanez ad-99, Maxon ad-900, Ross stereo delay and an Atomic echo clone

Coo, Hogan! What were you looking for in a delay? Also what qualities did you find in the MXR? I'm not sold on it just the price it's doing for :)
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:16 pm

Never tried or heard the Ross or the 99, but I did get a chance to hang out with a vintage Ibanez AD-80, a Maxon AD-80 reissue, a Way Huge Aquapuss and a Maxon AD-900 all at the same time for about a month or two... I've played an MXR for shorter time, separately.

Interestingly my ranking (using the same worst to best order... although they were all pretty great)

AD-900 excellent but slightly too hi-fi for my taste/style... good amount of delay time. Probably one of the best possible available compromises between analog and digital. Would be very happy to use one anytime.

Aquapuss! Sounded a bit better, but the one I had had very very short delay time... very limiting.

reissue AD-80: Much like the AP in sound quality but just a bit more delay time seemed to open up the pedal's usability a TON.

original AD-80 ... delay time somewhat limited but the warm, gurgly... liquid SOUND!! ...and the INFINITE (-FINITE, -INITE, -NITE, -TE<<<) repeat! Either very subtle and warm or totally,ly,lyfreaking,eaking,ing out! (out, out..)

sort of a tie but tops goes to

MXR: simply because Jerry used it to make the most beautiful musicks on one... 1978 (or 79? I'm losing my mental timeline) through 1981. Taste it on the Space from 2/27/81, or Playin In The Band 11/6/79... Comes A Time 8/19/80.. Looks Like Rain...
Last edited by tigerstrat on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby BOUKINATOR » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:38 pm

used one before... loved it (sounded PERFECT on Pink Floyd tunes)... their compressors are pretty nice too
BOUKINATOR
Mickey
Mickey

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:22 pm

Hey guys. Just found out his ad was a bit misleading. It's not the green MXR Delay like I thought it's the black 80s model called a time delay and an early one at that - no mix knob so I'm gonna pass....

I have no need and barely a desire for delay but I figured if I can find something good and cheep I will. Just looking for a little slap-back.

I'm now pondering the Danelectro FAB Echo. I know it's cheap and prolly not the greatest but I'm just looking for something a little spacey and trippy.
strumminsix

Re: MXR Analog Delay - thoughts?

Postby Pete B. » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:02 am

Pete B.

Postby seamones » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:40 am

in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 am

seamones wrote:in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.

+1 on the Carbon Copy. Nicest sounding delay to my ears, so far! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 am

I want me a carbon copy! And I would also suggest do not go for the Boss DD3. Have one, works but does not sound good IMHO.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Grateful Dad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:16 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:
seamones wrote:in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.

+1 on the Carbon Copy. Nicest sounding delay to my ears, so far! :smile: :smile: :smile:

I just got one, what are your preferred/recommended settings for a Bobby tone?
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Grateful Dad wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:

I just got one, what are your preferred/recommended settings for a Bobby tone?

I only use it for Jerry solo stuff and very sparingly, except for certain songs. Mostly very little regen at all. Mix and delay at about 8 or 9 o'clock. Modulation off. Not sure for Bobby tone, but I'm sure a Bobby player will let ya know!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Pete B. » Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 am

So the big green 70's MXR Analog Delay model 118 has arrived and it is like brand new looking (this pic is the actual pedal, but not my settings).
It has the Reticon Chipset. No visible tampering/mod/etc.
I've been playing with it on Guitar (and Pedal Steel) this morning and it sounds great.
'Been jammin' Cold R&R, Cumberland, Black Throated, Eyes... sounds cool.
My settings are Deley: 3 o'clock, Mix: 7-8 o'clock, Regen: 9-10 o'clock.
This thing is bigger than it looks in the picture... almost as big as a MuTron_III, and heavey/solid.
Anyone have the original manual or box? I would like to get those someday.
Pete B.

Next

Return to Guitar