Chipped Pole Piece

Chipped Pole Piece

Postby NWPines » Tue May 08, 2012 11:14 am

I recently bought a set of '69 VooDoo pickups in a prewired pickguard from David Allen. I wanted new pickups, a new guard, and new pots and switch, and have zero free time on my hands, so the prewired seemed like the way to go.

It just arrived and I noticed that the pole piece on the middle pickup D string is chipped on the edge. It's actually a bit worse than it looks in the photo, but still relatively minor. Will this have any affect on the pickup? I feel like a brand new set of custom shop quality pickups should be pristine upon arrival. I don't want to hassle with sending it back, but know it will bother me.... unless it's completely inconsequential to the pickup performance. So what do you guys think?

David Allen has been great, both before and after the purchase. I wasn't sure which set I wanted and he was really patient and informative, and got back to me really quickly with all my questions. Excellent customer service. He said the chip won't affect the pickup at all, but if I want I can send the guard back and he'll replace the pickup free.

NWPines
Brent
Brent

Re: Chipped Pole Piece

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue May 08, 2012 5:24 pm

It won't affect it really. The pole is still at the correct height and 99.9% intact. I feel for your situation, but it would make sense to send it back and get what you paid for, unless he wants to compensate you $ I would get it replaced. No sense in paying retail prices for damaged goods. If he offered a refund on that pickup then I would take that and roll though. If replacement is the only option, off it goes to be replaced then!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Pete B. » Tue May 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Sound advice. +1
Pete B.

Postby NWPines » Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I trust David saying it won't affect anything should I choose to keep it, but wanted to run it by the board just to be sure.

I think you nailed it JonnyBoy, even though it's small and shouldn't affect the pickup, if I keep it it'll bother me to know I paid full price for something that is damaged. I think I'll send it off to be replaced.
NWPines
Brent
Brent

Postby NSP » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm

For what it's worth I'm also using the Voodoos in my PRS (s/s/h) and love them. David was great to deal with and answered all my emails promptly.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Return to Guitar