Strat hard tail bridge

Re: Strat hard tail bridge

Postby helio » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 am

To the OP:

As you search for a hard tail bridge, also consider blocking your current trem system so it "becomes" a hardtail.

I have a parts-caster strat that has a blocked trem. Some previous owner did a very nice job with it. They inserted a very nice piece of wood (maple from a neck build project? Not sure) into the cavity between the trem block and the body. It fits in there perfectly, with a nice tight fit.

I can't tell you how much of the guitar's current tone comes from this blocking, but I can tell you this this strat sounds amazing. Rich, complex tone, great sustain, very responsive to picking dynamics, etc. And I don't think the trem bridge/block are all that great. Definitely not top of the line. But with the blocking, doesn't seem to matter.

You'll need to consult folks smarter than I to really judge the tonal merits of blocking a trem vs a hartail. I suspect that the extra ~ 4 or 5 square inches of contact it creates between the bridge assembly and the body wood make a big difference, but that's just my gut feeling.

Regardless, this guitar sounds great. Good enough for me to blabber on here about the merits of blocking. Look into it!
helio
TC
TC

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 am

A properly blocked strat trem is essentially a string through hard tail! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby austinhumphrey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:37 pm

i have a dean with a floyd rose bridge, and it works great for me. sounds great, always stays in tune and i haven't had any trouble with it. i don't want one for my next guitar but that's only because i don't find myself using a wammy bar with it that often. guitarfetish.com has a bunch of great stuff on as far as parts go
austinhumphrey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Previous

Return to Guitar