You guys are gonna hate this

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Grant » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:29 pm

here's some vids i really like of him, when it comes to stuff he knows (eg. hendrix, led zep, eagles), he nails it

youtube embedding is not working for me for some reason, prob user error ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLp9NQd_uNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLRXNQDo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2q0MWJC ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Am5J_ci ... re=related
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Chuckles » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:51 pm

My 13 y/o son totally dug him and wondered why I can't make my "guitar that looks a little like that" sound that way.
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
User avatar
Chuckles
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: DC

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Gr8fulGreg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Chuckles wrote:My 13 y/o son totally dug him and wondered why I can't make my "guitar that looks a little like that" sound that way.

Lol did you say "youre grounded?"

Hes a good player just doesnt know much about what hes holding... the only part of the video that realllllllly made me cringe was when he said "im going to torch ACDC onto this thing"
...More then my maker but he's no friend of mine
Gr8fulGreg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:20 am

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Grant » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 pm

he actually played with bon jovi in may while richie sambora was out - don't like bon jovi, but impressive cv none the less
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Chuckles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:47 am

Yeah, he also mentioned playing with Steward Copeland. The guy's not a hack.

But really... no idea what he's got in his hands at all!

John K came by our gig last month and was saying how much he's looking forward to his new Alembic. Can't blame him a bit; they are exquisitely built. Though, I did ask about the electronics (no, they wouldn't change them even for him) and he made the point that if he needed a 3xSuper2 rig, he wasn't lacking any. Would that I had such decisions to make!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
User avatar
Chuckles
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: DC

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby JamminJommy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:18 am

I thought it was something to note that he can get so many tones out of it. Wasn't that the point? Jer wanted to have a guitar with such a massive array of tonal possibilities and Alembic kinda went for that in the same light. He's a great guitarist in his own right. I thought it was entertaining to watch him discover what such a fine instrument was capable of!

I'm with Vic... let's see him do the Butterfly guitar!

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 am
Location: SF Bay / Long Beach

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby eric » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 pm

hogan wrote:i wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself.


i swear i've seen that on a tee shirt

Anyway, the dude can play guitar I guess, but jesus christ, what was the point of this video?

Was that supposed to be a gear demo? Was that a demo to try and sell the guitar? Sweet, he had no clue about the guitar. Not that I would expect anyone to understand that guitar, as the only reason that I do , is because of this forum and the knowledgeable people who put up with my dumb-ass posts.

Why not just give him one of those "daisy" guitars to thrash, which is all he was doing. And someone's gonna be really psyched about their new Cocobolo Alembic with this douchebags "skull buckle rash". And I don't ever trust any guy, who paints his f$%king nails!!! WTF!!! are you serious???

Complete Tool-bag..... Absolutely sick guitar......
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 am
Location: CT / RI

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby eric » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:04 am

a few more points...

Why not show uncle Jer some respect ?

No doubt this guy is wayyyyy better a guitarist than I will ever be.

Sorry , but this really got under my skin.....if you couldn't tell....


( and after thinking about this, I guess I'm just really jealous that he gets to play that guitar
Last edited by eric on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 am
Location: CT / RI

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 pm

My first thoughts when seeing this video was that it was kind of blasphemous and that this guy was a bit of a clown but after thinking about it I think it's cool that the Irwin-style guitars would break out past our little insular community. I was thinking about some of the things Thomas Lieber has posted here about "The Garcia" being envisioned as something that could go beyond a one-off custom for our favorite guitarist. This is certainly in line with that thinking. I don't think Jerry or Doug would get bent by seeing some guy playing some harder rock on this awesome guitar. I don't think Les Paul thought the guitar with his name on it was only for a certain style of playing.

There were some serious innovations in the Tiger and Wolf. The aesthetic of the shape of the Tiger is something for the ages - I've had non-head friends say that it looks like a heavy-metal guitar and there is something to that I think. Second, the electronics, especially the OBEL is something that would be a pretty valuable asset to a lot of stage players and it would be cool to see that break out beyond our group.

Finally, the dude playing - he's got some credentials and seems like a good player albeit not in our style but good nonetheless. I wouldn't walk around with my nails painted black (though I had to for a stage production of Rocky Horror that I directed and played in :oops: ) I would say that this guy doesn't resemble what I would consider "emo" - he's not a brooding douchenozzle that seems mad at the world because his dad took away his Playstation. He seems good-natured enough and doesn't seem to take himself that seriously.

Just my $.02 FWIW
:cool:
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah, he seems like an ok guy to me. But a 12 minute product review that starts with "uh, I think it has a battery in it"? I don't know how anybody had the patience to get past that point... what a giant waste of time.
User avatar
Rusty the Scoob
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:28 am
Location: Concord, MA

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby tcsned » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:11 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Yeah, he seems like an ok guy to me. But a 12 minute product review that starts with "uh, I think it has a battery in it"? I don't know how anybody had the patience to get past that point... what a giant waste of time.

True, though I'd blame the folks from the store that put together the video more than the guy in front of the camera. I'm sure he just walked in and was given some guitars to demo without much information. They didn't set him up for success. On the other hand, the belt buckle ...
User avatar
tcsned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby Thomas Lieber » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 am

tcsned wrote:My first thoughts when seeing this video was that it was kind of blasphemous and that this guy was a bit of a clown but after thinking about it I think it's cool that the Irwin-style guitars would break out past our little insular community. I was thinking about some of the things Thomas Lieber has posted here about "The Garcia" being envisioned as something that could go beyond a one-off custom for our favorite guitarist. This is certainly in line with that thinking. I don't think Jerry or Doug would get bent by seeing some guy playing some harder rock on this awesome guitar. I don't think Les Paul thought the guitar with his name on it was only for a certain style of playing.

There were some serious innovations in the Tiger and Wolf. The aesthetic of the shape of the Tiger is something for the ages - I've had non-head friends say that it looks like a heavy-metal guitar and there is something to that I think. Second, the electronics, especially the OBEL is something that would be a pretty valuable asset to a lot of stage players and it would be cool to see that break out beyond our group.

Finally, the dude playing - he's got some credentials and seems like a good player albeit not in our style but good nonetheless. I wouldn't walk around with my nails painted black (though I had to for a stage production of Rocky Horror that I directed and played in :oops: ) I would say that this guy doesn't resemble what I would consider "emo" - he's not a brooding douchenozzle that seems mad at the world because his dad took away his Playstation. He seems good-natured enough and doesn't seem to take himself that seriously.

Just my $.02 FWIW
:cool:


This is a greatful observation! I have a true love hate thing with this. Hate the fact that the dude couldn't take the ten seconds to do some research on the instrument (even thougth the Alembic is not the Jerry electronics component set up)
But , yes I do love the fact that the design's reach was broader. We never deigned the Tiger guitar to soley be a Jerry sounding instrument. It was our generations offer of a new design for all types of musicians and their music!
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 am

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby keirweir » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:54 am

He nailed one thing about the tone of the Jerry setup Alembic or not... At one point in the vid he was kind of taken back by the clean Strat tone it had. I think he started playing some Stevie Ray. My Jerry guitar sounds like a Strat but one sprinkled with magic gold dust... And, oh yeah.... Party on Ted!

Image
User avatar
keirweir
Senior Member
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Assachusetts

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby austinhumphrey » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 am

i really don't like this guy but that is a beautiful guitar.. he should put it down though
austinhumphrey
Rosebud
Rosebud
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:12 pm

Re: You guys are gonna hate this

Postby deepelem » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 pm

The guy seemed a decent sort really ... but as a muso he really should have shown a bit more respect to the Dead .. and Jerry. His comments about The Dead being big in the 60's, Ok in the 70,s .. and so on really left me very unimpressed. A guy like Slash who did a Hendrix documentary in which he spoke with eleoquence and mucho respect for Hendrix would never have been so ignorant and disrespectful of his musical heritage. The guy is a good player but Jer had more tone in his toes than this guy will ever have.
As for whoever chose him to review this guitar ... well I am totally unsure what point they were trying to put across ... that the Garcia clones could be used to play a wider range of music .... ?? ...... or what ........ and active pickups ???? Nah .. in conclusion all this review told me was NOT to put this guitar on my shopping list to check out.
User avatar
deepelem
bruce
bruce
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:11 am
Location: North Yorkshire, England

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests