Trem Blocking Tips?

Trem Blocking Tips?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:20 am

I want to block the trem in my PRS Garcia guitar and I've got a few questions before I start.
If using wood I assume harder is better, ie maple or ect. I have some pine shims that seem perfect for the job but I'm concerned that they aren't dense enough and will sap tone from the finished product. I also have some scraps of Baltic Birch around from another project which now that I'm thinking about it seem like the better choice. Has anyone ever used a machined piece of metal ie aluminium?

Second, I eventually want to change the entire bridge out in favor of a brass one, and I'm wondering if there exsits a trem bridge without the threaded female part of the trem arm, it's not the end of the world but I just hate the look of my current bridge with that empty whole there.

Finally anyone have any experience with a brass trem bridge/trem block? Suggestions on where to get one?

thanks.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: Trem Blocking Tips?

Postby donkeypunch » Wed May 25, 2011 9:34 am

Every Strat I've ever bought, I just do it myself after a setup.....I use Jenga blocks, they work great...have it in my current strat now.

Plus you can get two drill bit sizes...some screens and make Jenga blocks into bowls....my buddy used to sell them on tour....they sold as fast as he could make them.

good luck man
donkeypunch
TC
TC

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 am

Jenga blocks?? Like as in the game? If so Wow, what a great idea. They are nice solid dense, what maple I guess?
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby donkeypunch » Wed May 25, 2011 10:38 am

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:Jenga blocks?? Like as in the game? If so Wow, what a great idea. They are nice solid dense, what maple I guess?

yeah the game ones....work great
donkeypunch
TC
TC

Return to Guitar