That Guitar you let get away that still makes you sick

That Guitar you let get away that still makes you sick

Postby donkeypunch » Fri May 13, 2011 9:56 am

Think everyone has that one guitar that you should have never sold or traded....or several.

In the late 90's I sold my 1970 Les Paul Custon...vintage sunburst. I was in a loud original band for years, didn't think I'd have a use for it in the years to come. What an idiot I am.....still makes me sick thinking about and to see what they go for now. I hate myself.

they go for $2500 - $3500 now....urrrgggghhhh
donkeypunch
TC
TC

Re: That Guitar you let get away that still makes you sick

Postby tcsned » Fri May 13, 2011 10:23 am

ouch! I can't sell any of my guitars - just can't bring myself to do it. I'm sure my wife wishes I would :-)

I'll probably regret selling my Mesa Mark IV and 80s Marshall JCM 800 but haven't missed them yet.

I do regret throwing my 70s Mutron III in the trash back in the 80s.
tcsned

Postby jkstraw » Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am

tcsned wrote:I do regret throwing my 70s Mutron III in the trash back in the 80s.

:shock: I regret that on your behalf!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby amyjared » Fri May 13, 2011 10:57 am

I've had several, but the one I still pine about was one of the original Taylor's, I think it was a 910. My friend, this woman from Santa Cruz, bought it right when they started making guitars and it was the most impressive instrument! Everytime I played it she yelled at me because she ONLY fingerpicked and I would strum it with a pick and put marks on the pickguard that she would rub off! I told her if she ever wanted to get rid of it, I'd buy it and we lost touch and she needed some cash and let it go...then I ran into her again and found out it was gone. Bummer.

Oh, and the very first pedal that I ever got, which was given to me for free, was a '70's Mutron III and I ended up giving it away because I wasn't that good a guitarist and didn't really know what to do with it other than sound like I was playing under water. It wasn't even until I saw one on e-bay that I realized that the holy grail that you all talk about was the same thing I had and GAVE AWAY!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Fri May 13, 2011 11:18 am

When I was in 7th grade my goofy aunt gave me her recently deceased husband's old Fender amp. I couldn't play for shit then and didn't care for her so when I stopped playing gave it back to her. It woulda been a dream come true today...
strumminsix

Postby ugly rumor » Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 am

At 16 (in 1972) i bought a telecaster for $50. Sold it for $50. Serial number 206. The guy I sold it to still has it. I've offered to double, triple, and quadrouple his money. Cagey bastard won't do it!
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby celticguitar666 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 am

tcsned wrote:
I do regret throwing my 70s Mutron III in the trash back in the 80s.

I haven't got rid of any thing yet but this mention of the trash I had add that I found an original Ibanez Blazer bass in the trash in my neighborhood 6 years ago that just needed strings. Don't know if they are missing it yet
Dwight :cool:
celticguitar666
Vince
Vince

Postby mijknahs » Thu May 19, 2011 8:40 am

In 1985 I got my first "good" guitar for $500. It was a 1971 Gibson 335. It had a headstock repair but was in great shape. The guitar played sooo well. I used it with a Twin Reverb with JBLs and got a good late 60's early 70's Jerry tone from it (especially the neck pickup).

In 1990 I traded it with a friend for Strat (in a moment of stupidity) and regretted it ever since. He sold it and I saw it in a music store but couldn't afford to buy it back! I have many good memories of that guitar. I've never played a 335 that sounded or played as well.
mijknahs

Postby CoolBreeze » Thu May 19, 2011 9:17 am

I still miss my first "real" guitar- a Gibson Custom Shop Q200 (I doubt you've ever heard of them). This guitar is where I found I loved the sound of playing a bucker at the bridge and the P90 at the neck at the same time:
gibby.jpg
gibby.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 887 times
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Charlie » Mon May 23, 2011 4:05 pm

May not be familiar to most of you but I had a beautiful Maton JB4 bass, (Maton are an Australian brand) which was my main gigging bass in the late Eighties. In the early nineties I bought a Fender Precision and for a brief period had two basses. Then my car blew up and I had to sell one to get back on the road. I sold the Maton for about $500 AU. Now would cost me over $2,000 if I could find another one, but it's not the price so much as the fact that it was a beautiful instrument to play and sounded sweet. At the time though I was moving into playing a lot of blues and the fender tone suited the genre a bit better.
Charlie
Brent
Brent

Postby USBLUES » Wed May 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Not a guitar but i threw a non-working(but i now know easily fixable) vintage MXR right in the dumpster......also tried to re-cap a Zoom508 delay recently, they go for 3 hundo on the bay, heard a couple loud pops and that was the last sound it ever made, except when it also hit the bottom of the g-can.....
USBLUES
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Friesman » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Gibson SG 1961 Reissue..
Great guitar, bad move to sell..wish it was here..
Ok, I'm done..
tx,
friesman
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 pm

well mine may be happening now! but up until today a 1977 Ibanez Artist, found it in a small shop it was new with hang tags and case. Paid 1100 loved it it was sweet mint! sold it for 600 bucks when I was in a bind and the guy would not sell it back to me at any cost! He was my VW mechanic and he did alot of bus work for me over the years so I kinda owed him but I would give anything to have that one back!

Next up was a MINT 1993 PRS EG lost in my divorce! :?
jdsmodulus

Postby tigerstrat » Wed May 25, 2011 3:07 pm

As a lefty, I can say in all honesty there has never in my life been a guitar that I just had to have that got away from me (because there has almost NEVER been a noteworthy lefty guitar for me to have to have.)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Guitar