Syd Barrett, co-founder of Pink Floyd, dies at 60

Syd Barrett, co-founder of Pink Floyd, dies at 60

Postby WSPHead » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:03 am

LONDON Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman - who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement - said Barrett died several days ago. She did not disclose the cause of death. Barrett had suffered from diabetes for many years.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and the 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" - largely written by Barrett, who also played guitar - was a commercial and critical hit.

However, Barrett suffered from mental instability, exacerbated by his use of LSD. His behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968, replaced by David Gilmour.

Barrett released two solo albums - "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" - but soon withdrew from the music business altogether.

He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England, where he was a familiar figure, often seen cycling or walking to the corner store.

Despite his brief career, Barrett's fragile, wistful songs influenced many musicians, from David Bowie - who covered the Barrett track "See Emily Play" - to the other members of Pink Floyd, who recorded the album "Wish You Were Here" as a tribute to their troubled bandmate.

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.
WSPHead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Benthegoodbum » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:43 am

All I can say is the man left his mark...
When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro.
Benthegoodbum
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am

sad story. 3 of rocks greatest albums are written about him. he was Pink Floyd! it's a shame, he didn't have a clue what hit him. i live the same bad dream with a relative of mine. schizophrenia is horrible, when it can't be controlled.

here's the vh1 pink floyd story on youtube. i just happened to watch friday.
be mindful to watch it in order.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=p ... rch_videos

R.I.P. Syd :cry:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 am

Shine on You crazy Diamond
strumminsix

Postby steve » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:50 am

always a shame to hear things like this

gilmour didnt join the band until '68
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:08 pm

steve wrote:always a shame to hear things like this

gilmour didnt join the band until '68

from the vh1 interview gilmour state's how embarrased he was to have to lip sync syd's part and usually played with his back to the audience when he first took over his spot.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby phreaker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:13 pm

Barret shaped the band. If it werent for him, I don't think I would have ever listened to Floyd. I was always more into the really early stuff more than I was later stuff.

No one can take his place on the bike. They cannot ride it if they like.
phreaker

Postby Shaggy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Sad news.

I expected more to be made of this in the media here in England. I'm starting to think that maybe Floyd and Led Zep are both appreciated more in America than in their home countries.
Shaggy

Postby phreaker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:16 pm

Shaggy wrote:Sad news.

I expected more to be made of this in the media here in England. I'm starting to think that maybe Floyd and Led Zep are both appreciated more in America than in their home countries.

To quote Homer Simpson yelling at the Queen: "OUR BEATLES COULD KICK YOUR ROLLING STONES BUTTS ANY DAY!"
phreaker

Postby nedcat » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:08 pm

Benthegoodbum wrote:All I can say is the man left his mark...

Ben?,..... you said it all
nedcat
Brent
Brent

Postby whitelacestrange » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:25 pm

i was shocked when i heard this. though it shouldnt be too surprising, he wasnt a very healthy person.

RIP Syd
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby hesgone95 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:21 am

strumminsix wrote:Shine on You crazy Diamond

HMM...Somehow I never made that connection.

Truly a shame. Interstellar Overdrive from Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of my fav songs of all time.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Return to Pink Floyd General Discussion