curious about Zappa

curious about Zappa

Postby violanojblues » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:18 pm

I have been hearing so much about Zappa lately that it has sparked my curiosity. I'd like to know more about his music. Does anyone have any recommended listenings for me (or any other non-Zappa fan) to start with? I like pretty much straight-up rock-n-roll and blues. I've been listening to Thing Fish which is hilarious, but I'm interested in some of that amazing guitar work that I hear so much about.
violanojblues

I'm a huge Frank Zappa Fan!

Postby GrndWazu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:07 pm

I'm a huge Frank Zappa Fan!

Zappa's music is very odd music and is very hard to get into. He covered a wide variety of music rock, jazz, classical. If you like Rock then i would try listening to his best of album, Strictly Commercial, its a good introduction to his music. But personaly i think all his album's r good. His live work is much more interesting, a lot of his songs reapear on other albums but will sound much different. He truly was a genius. He created a whole universe in his music, so the more you listen the more his music makes sense. I would start from his earlier stuff and work forward. But, he does have over 70 albums's. Have fun
GrndWazu
welcome
welcome

Postby phreaker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Live at the Roxy is excellent. Another good album to start with is Apostrophe.

Zappa handled his band like an orchestra. Thier musical abilities, as well as his, were amazing. The instruments, the lyrics, the styles, the sounds, all so different and better than just about anything else at that time. He would also kick out any member of his band who did ANY illegal drug. He however, smoked cigarettes like a chimney, and pretty much drank only coffee.
phreaker

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:21 pm

phreaker wrote:Live at the Roxy is excellent. Another good album to start with is Apostrophe.

is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

my favorites;

apostrophe
live at the fillmore
sheik yerbouti
joe's garage

although my bands name is often confused with other things, it is actually after franks "The Mud Shark" on the Mothers live at the fillmore and referred to in "nanook rubs it" from apostrophe.

frank rocks.

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby phreaker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:18 pm

RUKIND used to have a collection of Zappa tabs. I'm guessing it was deleted because of all the copyright BS.
phreaker

Postby ebick » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:33 pm

A few of My favs not listed

We're Only In It For The Money
Just Another Band From L.A.
Over-Nite Sensation
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life

Again, not a full list, I could go on forever.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby waldo041 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:26 pm

waldo041

Postby amyjared » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:38 pm

is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

That's funny. One of the first bands I was in was called Sears Poncho, from that. I love Overnight Sensation! I would also recommend Hot Rats, Live in New York and Man from Utopia as some excellent (and accesible) Zappa. I saw him several times in concert and he continued to amaze me. In Prague, at the main train station there is the poster of Zappa, life-size, naked, sitting on the toilet. It's so out of place in that place, but they adore him so, that it's prominently displayed.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby jck_strw » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:42 am

This is weird. The original post in this thread is identical to the other post in this forum labeled 'curious about Zappa'. Same poster, same title, same timestamp now that I go back and look. A blast from the past or some forum oddity?

Anyhow, my recommendations from last time I think are still valid.

Well if you're interested in hearing just great guitar work, I would recommend Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar (3 CDs) and Guitar (2 CDs). It's just Frank solos, so if guitar solos is what you're interested in, these two are the CDs to get.

If you want to hear some of Frank's music (lyrics and all with great solos thrown in), I would recommend:

Sheik Yerbouti
Zoot Allures
Joe's Garage

Really great stuff.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Return to Frank Zappa General Discussion