Grateful Dead Video Game

Grateful Dead Video Game

Postby old man down » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:54 am

A Grateful Dead video game is in the works.

Independent game developer Curious Sense has been given the go-ahead to use any of the band's archival materials -- including live recordings, album art and video or film footage -- for the project, reports the Wall Street Journal.

Rhino Entertainment set up the deal, which stipulates that the game cannot have any references to drugs.

Developers are aiming for a summer release date for the game, which is intended to draw new fans to the band. Curious Sense founder Adam Blumenthal told the Journal, "They [the surviving band members and Rhino] really want the Dead to be part of a music curriculum that starts with kids getting into Led Zeppelin in the 8th grade."
old man down
Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: Grateful Dead Video Game

Postby steve » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:46 am

I was just reading about it. Here's the full article: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/01/13/the-grateful-dead-get-a-videogame/
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby UncleSam » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 pm

old man down wrote:Rhino Entertainment set up the deal, which stipulates that the game cannot have any references to drugs."

WHAT!? No drugs... Whats the game about again? Ha JK but really what is the game about... Trading glass beads for tees in the parking lot? Again JK but i really hope its a decent portrayal of what heady culture and the music is really about...
But I'm not going worry about philosophical arguments concerning 'the function of poetry' or whatever. I'm singing my song, I feel the world becoming new as I do so, and maybe you will too.
UncleSam
bruce
bruce

Postby jackr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:57 am

I know it is not all about drugs but can anyone really say that drugs were not part of the equation? Umm Capt Tripps? How can that part be left out of the game. -- Unless you are supposed to be on acid while playing the game.
On tour '76 - '81
Clean & Sober since '87
jackr

Postby UncleSam » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I mean it says right in the article there will be no colecting lsd as you move about the parking lot... for them to even say that in the article is incinuating that LSD was in fact a part of the dead. hopefully there is some abstract elements to the game that add a mystical effect to it. I mean i know acid isnt good for everyone, but im 21 and my first time at a festival was at an ekoostic hooka hookah in the hills with melvin seals n JGB. LSD was a big part of that experiance and ive never looked at music the same way again. especially live music. Witch is why I love GD. and lsd.
But I'm not going worry about philosophical arguments concerning 'the function of poetry' or whatever. I'm singing my song, I feel the world becoming new as I do so, and maybe you will too.
UncleSam
bruce
bruce

Postby mttourpro » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:30 am

Kind of ridiculous to try to pick one song to define the GD......

http://www.curioussense.com/gratefuldead/
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion