Alligator before it was even Alligator

Alligator before it was even Alligator

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2UyOKRrkQw

pretty sure nobody has seen this footage before, pretty awesome quality for the time though
caspersvapors

Re: Alligator before it was even Alligator

Postby Chuckles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 am

Wow, I hadn't seen a lot of those vids up near the top of the list.

Bobby on the LP!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby CoolBreeze » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:05 am

That may or may not be Alligator- that was a show over in Europe, and their equipment was already en route to the next show. Everybody is playing borrowed instruments. There's a nice article (somewhere) about this "epic" backyard show- I'll see if I can dig it up!
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby ugly rumor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:12 am

Phil rocking without a pick! Remember too, he had only been playing for about 5 or 6 years at the time of this video!! What a genius!
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby waldo041 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:41 am

CoolBreeze wrote:That may or may not be Alligator- that was a show over in Europe, and their equipment was already en route to the next show. Everybody is playing borrowed instruments. There's a nice article (somewhere) about this "epic" backyard show- I'll see if I can dig it up!

the melkweg show in amsterdam was the borrowed instrument show. this was the first trek over to europe and they were unable to play do to the weather i believe. so before heading back without even playing a note they thru an impromtu show on the chataeu lawn where they stayed for the press and village. and that IS there equipment.

melkweg

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby CoolBreeze » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:53 am

Cool, Waldo- I thought I was getting stories mixed up! So that is, indeed, Alligator?

Thanks for the clarification!
Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mkaufman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:07 am

Something is strange about that video: at the beginning of Sugar Mag, you can hear Weir playing the opening riff with the individual notes, yet, in the video, he's just strumming w/out playing individual notes.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby broesau » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:23 am

That's pretty sweet. Rocking show for a 4 piece band, no Pigpen. One thing I noticed about Alligator is that it looks stock except for the Alembic knobs. Phil looks like a preppie.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:42 am

broesau wrote:That's pretty sweet. Rocking show for a 4 piece band, no Pigpen. One thing I noticed about Alligator is that it looks stock except for the Alembic knobs. Phil looks like a preppie.

Pigpen is on this gig. Have you seen the Hard To Handle yet? Phil looks like he got that bad haircut right before the show!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby RiverRat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:52 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 am

mkaufman wrote:Something is strange about that video: at the beginning of Sugar Mag, you can hear Weir playing the opening riff with the individual notes, yet, in the video, he's just strumming w/out playing individual notes.

mk

not only that Mike but you can here Jerry playing notes high on the neck but in the video his hand is in first position also the first verse vocal harmonies are almost a little too perfect. Something is strange, I agree. However after the initial intor and opening lines things do seem to lineup.
I bet there was an audio clip missing from the video and someone overdubbed a clip
Last edited by jeffm725 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby strumminsix » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 am

mkaufman wrote:Something is strange about that video: at the beginning of Sugar Mag, you can hear Weir playing the opening riff with the individual notes, yet, in the video, he's just strumming w/out playing individual notes.

mk

First thing that caught my eye.
strumminsix

Postby hogan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am

there's a crossfade at 10 seconds so who knows what you are looking at for those first 10 seconds. Editing is your enemy
The sbds synch however.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-06- ... sbeok.shnf

The film is edited up and down and pieced together.
Those opening harmonies are actually how they went down. A broken clock's right twice a day as they say. :lol:
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 pm

hogan wrote:there's a crossfade at 10 seconds so who knows what you are looking at for those first 10 seconds. Editing is your enemy
The sbds synch however.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-06- ... sbeok.shnf

The film is edited up and down and pieced together.
Those opening harmonies are actually how they went down. A broken clock's right twice a day as they say. :lol:

Crossfade would explain it, thanks Hogan.

I know that they kept the opening line harmonies going for Sugar Mag for a couple years after AmericanBeauty before they dropped it, but that one there is just about album perfect! Right twice a day Indeed! It was not just that the 3 part was on the money, but the lushness of all 3 voices shocked me. It was a perfect storm when Phil, Bob and Jer were all in such good voice at the SAME time.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion