Please Help Me Out!!!

Please Help Me Out!!!

Postby ssrythm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:09 am

I was at the JGB Hampton show in fall of 1993. Being the most insanely wonderful and ripe atmosphere of any show I ever went to, things got really strange and I experienced...well, I can't describe it...that peaked while Jerry was getting sounds out of his guitar that you just can't get out of a guitar during the solo in Shining Star. It was truly indescribably beautiful. I lucked into a bootleg of that show some years later, and had that Shining Star playing as I sat down to dinner with my wife the night I proposed marriage. The dinner and wine went beautifully with the song, and the proposal did too; it was all meant to be, and I know Jerry laid down that version for me not only for the night of the show, but also for my proposal to the coolest girl on earth. Good times! Now, 13 years and eight moves later, I can't find the tape. Will someone on here please tell me where or how to get that show. I'll be happy to buy it, but I have no clue how to go about doing that. I looked in the tapers section and followed a link to torrentbit something-a nother. I was absolutely lost and clueless there. I'm older and use computers now because I had to learn. I can surf the net on them, write a paper on them, but Torrentbitmap thingy was like getting dropped in the middle of Bejing. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this show and make a secure back up version or two, as it is a huge historical/emotional portion of my life. Thanks, Eric
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Re: Please Help Me Out!!!

Postby RiverRat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:29 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby rkubik » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am

Took me awhile to find this show as well. It is well worth it. Shining Star is awesome and Lucky Old Sun is just phenomenal as a closer to the show. Good luck getting it. I know once I did I felt a little more of my life was complete. One of the shows I would go back in time to actually attend.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby ssrythm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Dood! I'll settle for anything. Of course, I really don't know the difference between lossless and FLac and mp3. Just let me know what I need to do to get the show on my computer, and I'll do it. Thanks a million.

Yeah, that show would be worth going back in time for no doubt. Hampton was the most incredible scene that I ever experienced from the morning we rolled in from the Richmond show to the next morning when we headed home.

Thanks again.

RiverRat wrote:Will you settle for mp3, or are you looking for lossless audio like FLAC?

If you'll settle for mp3... I have you covered!

Jerry Garcia Band
November 19, 1993
Hampton Coliseum
Hampton, VA

Source: Digital FOB Audience Tape
Schoeps CMC34 > Panasonic sv255
Todd Evans Recording Gear
Taped By Clay Brennecke, Ron Keyser & Friends - The Jamie Young Birthday Show

Transfer: DAT from Todd Evans DAT > TASCAM DA-20 > M-Audio FireWire solo > Soundforge 8.0 wav (48khz)
WAV (48) > Flac16 (48) by jbraveman@hotmail.com

Transferred and seeded March 2006
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby lunasparks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:48 am

I have mp3 of this show and it's listed in music folder as: JGB - 1993-11-19 (Shining Star!)

25 minutes of pure, blissful Shining Star -- and a crowd that truly "gets it" in the best possible way! This ranks high among my favorites of all latter-year Jerry moments.

I could try to help you get the show as well, but I use torrents too. May be best to download and install a torrent client which is not too hard, actually. Once you figure it out you have collector's nirvana -- teach a man to fish, right?!
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby ssrythm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Ok, Im in CRNA school mastering the fine art of anesthesia; I should be able to do this. So, someone on here teach me. I am your grasshopper. Teach me what I need to do to make this happen. When I say teach me, I'm talking about you telling me exactly what to do like I was a 10 year old child. This stuff takes me considerable time to "drive there on my own," but once I've driven it a couple of times, I'll be looking for the shotcuts in short order. It's the getting there the first time that's the hard part. Looking forward to this education!
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby RiverRat » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:58 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby lunasparks » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:05 am

ssrythm wrote:Ok, Im in CRNA school mastering the fine art of anesthesia; I should be able to do this. So, someone on here teach me. I am your grasshopper. Teach me what I need to do to make this happen. When I say teach me, I'm talking about you telling me exactly what to do like I was a 10 year old child. This stuff takes me considerable time to "drive there on my own," but once I've driven it a couple of times, I'll be looking for the shotcuts in short order. It's the getting there the first time that's the hard part. Looking forward to this education!

Let me tell you how I do it (mostly from memory). I'm sure everybody has a different approach, but....

1. Download and install uTorrent application http://www.utorrent.com/ Try do configuration as best you can but mostly just accept defaults and choose things like associate this program with torrent files, etc.

2. Go to etree http://bt.etree.org/ Here you can search for Dead shows as you like. Let's leave search field blank and use drop down saying (all bands) to find Grateful Dead, then click search. A list of shows will populate with column headings for Artist, Show, etc. For test purposes find a show with a lot of Seeds and click on the hyperlink under the show column. This takes you to show/file details, etc. 4 rows down is the Torrent row. Click on the hyperlink and you'll be able to save the torrent file wherever you like (maybe create a torrent folder in your music folders and save there?).

3. Once torrent file is saved to your drive, navigate to it, double click and uTorrent should open up and it will be asking where you want to save the show -- this is at the very top of the Save As dialog box that is open. Again you'll want it to save to whatever folder you'll be saving shows to. Once you're saving to the right directory, press OK at the bottom. Download process should now be viewable in uTorrent.

4. After it's done you will start seeding and the Status column will read Completed

5. Now you have a show that's most likely in FLAC format. If you get this far then next step is to figure out how to listen to the files (or convert them). For now, save that for Part 2 (or Part 37, depending on how the initial takeoff goes!)
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby brbadg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm

I think you actually have to download the flac frontend first before you do anything,or else they'll just be files
brbadg
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby lunasparks » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:36 pm

brbadg wrote:I think you actually have to download the flac frontend first before you do anything,or else they'll just be files

I have Windows 7 and I don't recall needing to download. But it's been so long maybe I've forgotten. Maybe I'm hurting more than helping here. If so, my apologies.
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby ssrythm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 am

lunasparks wrote:
brbadg wrote:I think you actually have to download the flac frontend first before you do anything,or else they'll just be files

I have Windows 7 and I don't recall needing to download. But it's been so long maybe I've forgotten. Maybe I'm hurting more than helping here. If so, my apologies.

Na doods, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I can print that out and actually follow the directions. If is doesn't work, we will keep trying something till it does. Not in a big hurry here. It is my 42 birthday today, and it is a great present just to have hope that I will soon have this show.

On a sort of related note, I have clinical today and will be in the OR with two surgeons who are brothers and who have an iPod loaded with some killer tunes spanning every type of music you can think of. They play some really cool and varied stuff and are always quizzing the OR staff on who the artist is, year, circumstances etc. They are particularly fond of Smoky Robinson; It's going to be great slipping this Shining Star in on them and throwing the quizzing back their way. Going to be cool turning two late-40s twin african-american general surgeons on to Jerry in the OR!

Thanks again for y'alls help. E
ssrythm
Donna
Donna

Postby RiverRat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:32 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Postby ssrhythm » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks for y'alls help. BTW I am now logged in under ssryhythm. When I first logged on here, I couldn't spell rhythm that night! Same me though. I'm going to try to give 'er a go, and will be back here seeking help if I can't get her downloaded. Thanks again, Eric
ssrhythm
welcome
welcome

Postby ssrhythm » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:47 am

Done! Sweet! Thanks for all the help!
ssrhythm
welcome
welcome

Postby RiverRat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 am

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverRat

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion