East L.A. Fade Away

East L.A. Fade Away

Postby KCJones » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 am

I just picked up one of my all time favorite band's, Los Lobos, latest CD - Tin Can Trust. You know, that lil ole band from East L.A. Some of you may remember they opened for the Dead for several shows in the 80s, that’s what turned me on to them. Besides it being a great album, Robert Hunter has two song writing credits on it. One is on the track All My Bridges Burning, and the other is their awesome interpretation of West L.A. Fade Away. Highly recommend the album, or anything else from Los Lobos.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Re: East L.A. Fade Away

Postby jefkahn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:47 pm

There's an interview with David Hidalgo in the Nov 2010 Guitar Player. A short excerpt:

What prompted you to cover the Grateful Dead’s “West L.A. Fadeaway”?

I was aware of the Dead since the beginning, but it wasn’t until the Live/Dead album came out that the light really went on for me. That version of “St. Stephen” into “The Eleven” into “Turn on Your Love Light” floored me. Jerry Garcia became one of my favorites. I first met him in 1984, when he showed up at one of our gigs along with Carlos Santana. They took turns playing my spare ES-335. Afterwards, Jerry gave me a ’58 Stratocaster. I couldn’t believe it.

Did you use it for this recording?

No. I was already in the middle of recording with a Les Paul when I realized I should have played Jerry’s Strat. Anyway, that’s how our affiliation with the Grateful Dead started. A few years later we did a weekend opening for them at Laguna Seca. We invited Jerry to play with us. He returned the favor by bringing me up to play “West L.A. Fadeaway,” so that’s the connection.
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 am

I'm enjoying this Los Lobos West LA FadeAway version here this morn'...
Ya don't here that Fuzz Bass much these days (I'm thinking... Norman Greenbaum?).
Give it a spin:
Pete B.

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 am

That is great! I really dig it. These guys have a great sound.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:01 am

thanks Pete - I hadn't listened to them playing that tune in a long time. Nice stroll down memory lane!
tcsned

Postby KCJones » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Pete B. wrote:Ya don't here that Fuzz Bass much these days (I'm thinking... Norman Greenbaum?).

If it's what I think you're referring to, it's not fuzz bass. That's a saxaphone. Listen again ... there's a conventional bass sound in there already.
KCJones
Billy
Billy

Location: Kansas City, MO via Buffalo NY, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Wash DC

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion