Fomerly the Warlocks

Fomerly the Warlocks

Postby tcsned » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:54 am

The Dead have just released a boxed set of all of the Hampton '89 shows.

http://www.dead.net/features/release-in ... hows-6-cds

I was at these shows . . . and every other Hampton show from '83 to the end. Great venue, great shows, great memories.

Bad memory . . . having to drive home after the second Warlocks show and be at work and swinging a sledge hammer at 7:30am the next day.
tcsned

Re: Fomerly the Warlocks

Postby bodiddley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:38 am

At least you got to take out any frustrations with the hammer. I had far too many show where I had to drive back to the Navy base afterwards and had to interact with people in an office the next morning wearing a uniform.

As far as this release goes...Meh.
bodiddley

Postby Cmnaround » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:52 am

I was at these two shows - both monumental in many aspects. There was a lot of heat on the band to nix all the camping and associated activities after the summer tour -and from what I heard the dead weren't allowed back at Hampton due to previous scene related issues the last time they played Hampton - hence the unnaviunced shows billed as the warlocks right before fall tour 89. Breakouts of help slip franklins, dark star, death don't have no mercy and attics. The whole fall 89 tour was pretty hot after these shows - a bunch of runs at what was Bryndyn Byrne at the meadowlands - then 3 shows in philly with the California earthquake tune.

For the Hampton shows we heard tickets were available but only if you lived in the area - so a friend of mine knew somone who had a relative in Hampton and had them pick up tix for us - we were coming from central PA back then. General admission with an open floor - I remember the cops up on the roofs of the motels scouting out the parking lot scene - anyway what a great time to be able to catch the band unexpectedly and to be there for all those breakouts. Damn I miss fall tour!!!!
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby strummingturtle » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:14 pm

great shows, and tickets everywhere. I think everyone who was there got in.
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 am

I got in the 8th but I didnt get in the 9th :-(

Not many tickets on the 9th that I could see...The 8th was pretty easy though
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tcsned » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:46 am

jeffm725 wrote:I got in the 8th but I didnt get in the 9th :-(

Not many tickets on the 9th that I could see...The 8th was pretty easy though

Though the 9th had the Dark Star, Death Don't Have No Mercy, & Attics I thought from a being there perspective that the 8th was the better played show.
tcsned

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion