Songs GD should have covered

Songs GD should have covered

Postby jefkahn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 am

Whenever I listen to Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" I always think it would've been a great Jerry song, especially if done in his later years. It made me interested in other songs that would sound good if GD had played them live. Any thoughts?
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Songs GD should have covered

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:02 am

jefkahn wrote:Whenever I listen to Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" I always think it would've been a great Jerry song, especially if done in his later years. It made me interested in other songs that would sound good if GD had played them live. Any thoughts?

LOL - I can hear it with a Cats Down Under the Stars type arrangement
:D
yeah man every time this comes up I go with -
Sultans Of Swing
Bob sing
Jerry plays fills behind vocals
rips some lead
segue into Stella Blue
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:06 am

I could see them doing that song, and "turn the page". PLUS, a Steve Miller song, not abracadabra, but the joker, fly like an eagle, take the money... How about the Gambler by kenny rogers or poncho and Lefty by willie and Merle?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby strumminsix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
jefkahn wrote:Whenever I listen to Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" I always think it would've been a great Jerry song, especially if done in his later years. It made me interested in other songs that would sound good if GD had played them live. Any thoughts?

Sultans Of Swing
Bob sing
rips some lead
segue into Stella Blue

Mark Knopfler is in my team photo of favorite guitarists. That said if you listen to Dire Straits carefully I think you'll hear a wonderful layering of instruments that I don't think the GD could pull off in a live setting. And, no disrespect to Jerry, those subtle just aren't the fat mans thing. Now, the end solo he'd RIP!
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:17 am

More Stones tunes would've been cool.

Would also have been cool to do some more old country tunes - a Willie tune maybe.

+1 on Knopfler (though he probably owes Richard Thompson some royalties) - but that tune is so straight that there's not much room for the Dead to be the Dead - maybe Settin' Me Up or Water of Love
tcsned

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:18 am

strumminsix wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:

Sultans Of Swing
Bob sing
rips some lead
segue into Stella Blue

Mark Knopfler is in my team photo of favorite guitarists. That said if you listen to Dire Straits carefully I think you'll hear a wonderful layering of instruments that I don't think the GD could pull off in a live setting. And, no disrespect to Jerry, those subtle just aren't the fat mans thing. Now, the end solo he'd RIP!

Oh I gotta disagree 100 %
Of course they would give it a GD sound ... like Watchtower doesnt sound like Jimi ..... sounds like the Dead ....
But Jerry is a MASTER of playing behind vocals ...
The chicken picking fingerstyle of Knopfler is right in Jerry's wheelhouse !
Its pure Americana music - perfect for the Dead !
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Mark Knopfler is in my team photo of favorite guitarists. That said if you listen to Dire Straits carefully I think you'll hear a wonderful layering of instruments that I don't think the GD could pull off in a live setting. And, no disrespect to Jerry, those subtle just aren't the fat mans thing. Now, the end solo he'd RIP!

Oh I gotta disagree 100 %
Of course they would give it a GD sound ... like Watchtower doesnt sound like Jimi ..... sounds like the Dead ....
But Jerry is a MASTER of playing behind vocals ...
The chicken picking fingerstyle of Knopfler is right in Jerry's wheelhouse !

Firstly, Watchtower is a Dylan song and being a Dylan song it had lots of room to be re-interpreted and made greater.
Sultans, by contrast, is a perfectly layered song and doing re-interpretation would diminish the song not make it greater.

If by playing "BEHIND vocals" you mean at the same volume as the vocals and being the only instrument heard, then yes, he is the master.

But if you listen like a student to Sultans you will easily hear all instruments super clear and levels deep under the vocals. It's a fast and subtle song.

Furthermore, it has specific guitar responses at the end of each line, think Jerry would remember each of those and where they went?!

Those responses are not chicken picking. Dig in further and you'll see a flurry of notes almost sounding like 1.

And for the life of me I'll not understand you calling a Limey band (ha!) "pure Americana"
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:32 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:

from a British guy :)
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:43 am

In his defense, while Knopfler was heavily influenced by Richard Thompson he has a pretty twangy American sound - I loved the Notting Hillbillies CD - we do Railroad Worksong from that one.

I've always resisted learning guitar parts note-for-note but I had to learn Sutlans for a guitar student and I think I can still play it today. He is a great finger-style lead player - I think Jerry's banjo background would make all that stuff doable. I just think Sultans has such a specific guitar part that it would be hard to make that tune work in the Dead's style. Plus that song just doesn't sound right with medium electric strings. Knopfler used .009s and that gave it a very distinctive tone.
Last edited by tcsned on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tcsned

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 am

strumminsix wrote:Firstly, Watchtower is a Dylan song and being a Dylan song it had lots of room to be re-interpreted and made greater.
Really ? Thanks for filling me in !
:lol:
Sultans, by contrast, is a perfectly layered song and doing re-interpretation would diminish the song not make it greater.
They would be doing the Dead version. As in this is what it would sound like when the Dead do it.

If by playing "BEHIND vocals" you mean at the same volume as the vocals and being the only instrument heard, then yes, he is the master.

But if you listen like a student to Sultans you will easily hear all instruments super clear and levels deep under the vocals. It's a fast and subtle song.

Furthermore, it has specific guitar responses at the end of each line, think Jerry would remember each of those and where they went?!
Why does it have to be exact ? Its their version I would want to hear ...

Those responses are not chicken picking. Dig in further and you'll see a flurry of notes almost sounding like 1.
Does play with his fingers not pick work better for ya ?

And for the life of me I'll not understand you calling a Limey band (ha!) "pure Americana"

I think its rather obvious he - M.K. -has a deep appreciation for American music.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 am

Yes, obvious, but I still don't think doable:
- specific responses
- instrument levels
- finger style
- song needs to be done as the original
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:56 am

also - vocally - this would be a good one to tackle for the boys ....
Aint nothing fancy about DS's vocals.
But what do I know - I never would have thought any member of the Dead would cover a Metallica tune.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Kennay » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 am

White Punks On Dope! Jerry dressed as Quay Lewd with the 12 inch pumps!
Kennay
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby strumminsix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:51 am

Here is one, "Get no Better" by John Hartford.

Could do a round-robin of vocals with solos between verses.

BTW:
viewtopic.php?f=326&t=2599&p=18063
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:53 am

Rythym Devils covers Sultans, just saying. :lol:
jdsmodulus

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion