How about we Annotate a couple of lyrics...

How about we Annotate a couple of lyrics...

Postby mrMix » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 am

Something to ponder on a Holiday weekend (Happy 4th!)

Was listening to some shows and came across 2 lines in two songs:
-First in Truckin' - "Sometimes the light's all shinning on me" to which Hunter attributes that lyric to the Band putting it in the song
-Second from Just a Little Light - "Gimme some sweetness, Just a little light"
So looking at The Annotated Dead Lyrics site (http://tinyurl.com/23cyksq) Dodd doesn't have much on the "Gimme some sweetness, Just a little light" lyric. I contend that this was Brent's call for a bit more "spotlight" time with the audience in contrast to Bobby's "Light's always shinning on me" . Brent wanted to be heard. We did get more Brent on Built to Last before his passing.
Discuss....
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Re: How about we Annotate a couple of lyrics...

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Didnt Barlow write the lyrics for Just a little light?

In light :smile: of that I think in this case you may be reaching a bit. However, your personal take on Brent feeling he was not equal with the rest of the band is an accurate one that tormented him until the end. This is something I can state unequivocally because he told me that personally. (In my Hotel room for 4 hours 3/31/85 after the Portland Maine show)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:54 pm

I would say it is symbolic for showing a part of the inner soul, love. So sad he couldn't see he had a daughter that thought he was cooler than Jerry....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm

not going to speculate too much about that, but isn't it "lights are shining" ??
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby krzykat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 am

I believe it is are shining on me. And as fart a little liught, I think the little light was his daughter. The one thing in his life that made him slow down enough that he can appreciate! Something shines around you and it seems to m delight to give you just a little sweetness, just a little light
krzykat

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:10 am

tigerstrat wrote:not going to speculate too much about that, but isn't it "lights are shining" ??

this.
strumminsix

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion