Stones and Dead

Stones and Dead

Postby amyjared » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:52 pm

"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Re: Stones and Dead

Postby ker1227 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm

thats funny, Seems to me like there was no love loss between jerry/billy and mic
ker1227
Billy
Billy

Postby bodiddley » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Great stuff! Always a treat to see some "new" footage.
bodiddley

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 am

Has anyone read the Sam Cutler book on his travels with The Stones/Dead?
Pete B.

Postby Harvestwind » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Pete B. wrote:Has anyone read the Sam Cutler book on his travels with The Stones/Dead?

I read it about twelve or eighteen months ago. Sam Cutler had a big time falling out with the Stones but still considers himself a member of the Dead family. He describes the two bands as polar opposites as far as management and performance style is concerned. The Dead had the hippie family approach and the Stones were all big business. Mick Jagger in particular is described as extremely calculating and manipulative which seems to be a fairly general opinion of the man.

A lot of what he wrote about his Dead experiences revolve around the '72 Europe Tour, which personally contains most of my favourite live Dead material. I never saw the band live, but if I could turn back the clock, those would be the shows I would choose to attend. (Along with Woodstock and Monterey of course!)

Cutler also spends a lot of time distancing himself from the events of Altamont and has some interesting conspiracy theories such as bad acid being deliberately distributed free to the audience by some FBI style secret squirrel group. The impression you get is that the show was a disaster waiting to happen.
Harvestwind
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion